SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   This is probably a complicated topic, but... (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/236961-probably-complicated-topic-but.html)

Minnewaska 12-31-2015 10:15 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
As I re-read the OP, he really began and ended by asking for a link, so he could do the research. Probably not such a bad approach, he just unwittingly stepped into the bear trap of firearms. I participate on another forum (non-sailing and way less often) where guns come up all the time, including arguments, and they aren't banned. That forum is ironically owned by the same company as SN and has an equally international membership.

Hopefully, AAAC settles in and figures out how this place works, before getting fed up. It would be cool to make a real sailor out of the newb. :)

Minnewaska 12-31-2015 10:18 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
Asked and answered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSrcing (Post 3246753)
....Yes, the search function exists, but it sucks.

This is a question I have been curious about as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3246665)
Better is to cut and paste the following into a google search box.....

site:sailnet.com guns

You can replace the term guns with anything you might want to research too. I tried it and the first dozen hits were all threads on your question. Prepare to have your blood boil, as you read the posts, regardless of your position. In the mix, you will find answers to your question.


MarkofSeaLife 12-31-2015 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3246777)
the bear trap of firearms.


Bear trap! That's violence, and I'm triggered...

Have a peaceful New Year, everyone :)

AAAC 12-31-2015 11:35 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
I appreciate the feedback gentlemen. I was hoping there might be a dedicated website that handled this question specifically. Something like Handgunlaw.us but for sailing.

Thanks again!

Stu Jackson 12-31-2015 11:38 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
"Other boating fora" should include Cruisers & Sailing Forums, which has had extensive discussions about firearms.

It is true that folks should do their homework and research before asking this type of open ended and recurring question. I have been "preaching" and requesting this approach for years, and have included links in many of my replies.

But in this case, if the OP can't be bothered to simply type in GUNS or FIREARMS in the search box, not even the advanced search, then the only conclusion I can come to is that he is either lazy expecting us to do his work for him or he simply doesn't understand how the internet works.

Neither is conducive to a creative dialog, either way.

It is truly unfortunate that with all the information that IS out there and so readily obtainable that some folks still can't find it.

One, for example, could use the site specific search boxes or the more useful google type search site:sailnet.com guns which is universal and should be recognized by anyone with a computer. In addition, there is the use of any major internet search engine, like Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, etc. where one would type in "firearms on sailboats" and be able to read for years.

Well, tomorrow is a new year, so maybe...maybe not. :)

Good luck.

bigdogandy 12-31-2015 11:44 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
Didn't see that anyone had suggested Noonsite yet...... Info there on each country's requirements regarding guns and cruisers.

http://www.noonsite.com

AAAC 12-31-2015 11:50 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Jackson (Post 3246985)
"Other boating fora" should include Cruisers & Sailing Forums, which has had extensive discussions about firearms.

It is true that folks should do their homework and research before asking this type of open ended and recurring question. I have been "preaching" and requesting this approach for years, and have included links in many of my replies.

But in this case, if the OP can't be bothered to simply type in GUNS or FIREARMS in the search box, not even the advanced search, then the only conclusion I can come to is that he is either lazy expecting us to do his work for him or he simply doesn't understand how the internet works.

Neither is conducive to a creative dialog, either way.

It is truly unfortunate that with all the information that IS out there and so readily obtainable that some folks still can't find it.

One, for example, could use the site specific search boxes or the more useful google type search site:sailnet.com guns which is universal and should be recognized by anyone with a computer. In addition, there is the use of any major internet search engine, like Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, etc. where one would type in "firearms on sailboats" and be able to read for years.

Well, tomorrow is a new year, so maybe...maybe not. :)

Good luck.

I've found that search engines on most sites are lacking. That being said, is it seriously that big of a deal to answer a question more than once. A new guy obviously hasn't been around as long as others and hasn't seen that's it's been asked umpteen times. I appreciate the fact that you actually took the time to give me a link to do some research at but some of these folks are responding just to hear themselves talk/gripe about "how this question has been asked before".

Thank you for the information. I also appreciate Minnewaska's tip on searching the site through google!

SVAuspicious 12-31-2015 11:53 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 3246737)
"Fora"? Is that a flower without a leaf?

Spelling and grammar count. Forum = singular; fora = plural. English is a b!tch isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSrcing (Post 3246753)
Apparently you aren't one of them.

Thank you. I will spend less time helping people here then. Tonnes of people have provided over and over again the solution to that problem. Google runs a spider through SailNet many times each day and searches there (see Minnewaska's note) are valid within minutes of a new post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3246785)
Asked and answered.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogandy (Post 3247001)
Didn't see that anyone had suggested Noonsite yet...... Info there on each country's requirements regarding guns and cruisers.

http://www.noonsite.com

+1

MarkofSeaLife 12-31-2015 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3247041)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 3246737)
"Fora"? Is that a flower without a leaf?

Spelling and grammar count. Forum = singular; fora = plural. English is a b!tch isn't it?


Ummmmmm, Latin, actually. Not "Ummmmmm" that's not Latin at all. Its Ummmmmm.

:)

Siamese 12-31-2015 02:04 PM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...
 
AAAC, you're either a troll, or just someone who can't be bothered to do the barest minimum amount of research or at least use the forum search function before asking (insert appropriate adjective here) questions.

If you're trying to make yourself unwelcome on a forum, I would say you are on your way to achieving that goal.

To anyone thinking I'm being a little harsh with AAAC, check his previous posts and observe the pattern of asking borderline silly questions and his imperviousness to the advice given.

I'm thinkin' troll.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome