This is probably a complicated topic, but... - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 47Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 87 Old 01-07-2016
You really are funny!!

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Perhaps I am wrong about having to declare in every port (that's what a marina worker told me, btw). But I believe the story about the undeclared firearm, even though it was second-hand information.
Hi Scott, I see you and Noi are on the road (er, water) and sailing somewhere. I am following your blog to see how it all turns out. Sounds like interesting stuff!

With that said, posting second hand marina talk about Bahamian law, and posting examples like "I know a guy who knows of a guy who"... is very American and probably worth the same amount eye rolls as the American gun stuff from the international travelers around you. Seriously..

You're now breathing the rarified air out (up?) there, time to act like it! (lol, I keed, I keed... but really, marina gossip from a Bahamian dock boy? You were a journalist for god's sakes! Oh the humanity..).

Quote:
And I am most definitely correct that this issue is primarily one for Americans. I know of three cruisers packing heat aboard and they are all Americans. Cruisers from other countries tend to roll their eyes at this behavior.
How do the international travelers know? How do you know? How does anyone even know anyone is "packing heat" in the Bahamas? What are the details about how you found out about the three chaps packing heat there where you're at? I'm genuinely curious who brought it up and how you know of three Americans carrying in the Bahamas? Do the Americans you know of packing heat there walk around like The Duke daring someone to "make their day"? Were they bragging about it during cocktail hour? Were they asked about it preemptively due to being American? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by chrisncate; 01-07-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 01-07-2016

OK, somebody help me out here:

In the 30 years since I first learned to shoot, I have heard and used the very common term "long gun" to describe a rifle or shotgun (as opposed to a handgun). But I have recently heard the term "long rifle" used to describe, well, a rifle. Including at least twice in this thread. Now, I STRONGLY SUSPECT that this began with the San Bernardino shootings, when I heard a couple reporters repeat the phrase "long rifle" when referring to law enforcement reports about "long guns" used in the attack. A couple of them even did so hesitantly, as if unsure they were using the right words. The erroneous phrase then appeared to spread far and wide and I have heard it many places since. The only place I had ever heard it prior was in the name of the caliber, ".22 long rifle."

Eh?

So to bring it back somewhat on topic, if one wants to carry a firearm aboard a boat, they may select either a handgun or a long gun. The long gun may be either a rifle or a shotgun, or in the case of a wooden boat, perhaps a smooth-bore muzzle loader.
post #63 of 87 Old 01-07-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
OK, somebody help me out here:

In the 30 years since I first learned to shoot, I have heard and used the very common term "long gun" to describe a rifle or shotgun (as opposed to a handgun). But I have recently heard the term "long rifle" used to describe, well, a rifle. Including at least twice in this thread. Now, I STRONGLY SUSPECT that this began with the San Bernardino shootings, when I heard a couple reporters repeat the phrase "long rifle" when referring to law enforcement reports about "long guns" used in the attack. A couple of them even did so hesitantly, as if unsure they were using the right words. The erroneous phrase then appeared to spread far and wide and I have heard it many places since. The only place I had ever heard it prior was in the name of the caliber, ".22 long rifle."

Eh?

So to bring it back somewhat on topic, if one wants to carry a firearm aboard a boat, they may select either a handgun or a long gun. The long gun may be either a rifle or a shotgun, or in the case of a wooden boat, perhaps a smooth-bore muzzle loader.
As far as I can tell, Shotguns are for some reason still fairly acceptable, and rifles not as much. I think they distinguish between the two for that reason. It's probably the same in the Bahamas I'd imagine, since they are making the distinction as well.

post #64 of 87 Old 01-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
As far as I can tell, Shotguns are for some reason still fairly acceptable, and rifles not as much. I think they distinguish between the two for that reason.
But the distinction between "handguns" and "long guns" makes perfect sense. The term "long rifle", on the other hand, is a useless term if it merely means "rifle".

I'm sticking with my theory that it's just misuse of the term "long gun."

I almost got punched in the face earlier this week during a long and bitter grammar argument at work (fortunately nobody was packing heat), so I'm gonna try to not go 'round and 'round on this one.
post #65 of 87 Old 01-07-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
But the distinction between "handguns" and "long guns" makes perfect sense. The term "long rifle", on the other hand, is a useless term if it merely means "rifle".

I'm sticking with my theory that it's just misuse of the term "long gun."

I almost got punched in the face earlier this week during a long and bitter grammar argument at work (fortunately nobody was packing heat), so I'm gonna try to not go 'round and 'round on this one.
Hey, I agree with you - the terminology around firearms gets mangled consistently, a quick scan of the nightly news illustrates that. People seem to need to ascribe a specific term to all kinds of like firearms - long gun, long rifle, assault rifle, hunting rifle, shotgun, assault shot gun, etc etc.

As a certified incurable gun nut myself, I know of two types - long guns and hand guns (generally, and excluding the way more fun NFA stuff of course).

The whole thing is patently ridiculous imo. There might be an argument to make regarding shotguns vs rifles, but both are indeed long guns either way.
post #66 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
Boat Bum

I think the Bahamians may consider shotgun and pistols defensive weapons due to their effective range, whereas they treat rifles as offensive and thus a threat to the State.
Just a guess, I have no concrete information on this

No wife, no kids, no debt.
post #67 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I think the Bahamians may consider shotgun and pistols defensive weapons due to their effective range, whereas they treat rifles as offensive and thus a threat to the State.
Just a guess, I have no concrete information on this
Bahamian dock boy news wire?

Seriously though, that's not a bad theory at all. At least it makes sense.
post #68 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

Oh my god those fully automatic bullet button ghost guns with 100 bullet clips are terrifying.

What about less than lethal options? Bear spray was mentioned. I know first hand how bad that sucks and I wasn't the targeted recipient. Or maybe a cattle prod. Hit 'em as soon as they try to board and watch them flop in to the water like a flounder. Jeet Kun Do would be a great option. Nun-chucks are great close quarters weapons.
post #69 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
I will not enter into this fray with a bunch of people who appear to probably have never owned nor fired a quality weapon. But, I would like to throw out a couple of logic based questions.
1. If you are threatened, attacked, or merely observed by real pirates in the open sea do you think that they will:
A. Turn you in to the local authorities for possessing a weapon.
B. Allow you to keep your possessions, your boat, or your life if you tell them that you believe in following international law to a tee.
C. That they will seek easier pickings if they see you are capable and ready to defend yourself and your possessions.

Have at it.....
Well, as noted above, you can't legally have a weapon out of its locker, let alone off the boat (where the crime in Nassau is), so at least in the Bahamas, a firearm is not of much use.

There have been a few incidents of "piracy" in the southern Caribbean of late, and the pirates (who notably only robbed the boats, didn't hurt the crew) were several in number and carrying automatic weapons. Defend away.
post #70 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
Oh my god those fully automatic bullet button ghost guns with 100 bullet clips are terrifying.

What about less than lethal options? Bear spray was mentioned. I know first hand how bad that sucks and I wasn't the targeted recipient. Or maybe a cattle prod. Hit 'em as soon as they try to board and watch them flop in to the water like a flounder. Jeet Kun Do would be a great option. Nun-chucks are great close quarters weapons.
Nun-chucks? Cattle prods?!! I think you should spend more time thinking about what corkscrew to pack for your cruise. You'll certainly use it more often on your cruise than the nun-chucks!
seaner97 likes this.

Vindö 50

Last edited by copacabana; 01-08-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in