This is probably a complicated topic, but... - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 47Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Hi Scott, I see you and Noi are on the road (er, water) and sailing somewhere. I am following your blog to see how it all turns out. Sounds like interesting stuff!

With that said, posting second hand marina talk about Bahamian law, and posting examples like "I know a guy who knows of a guy who"... is very American and probably worth the same amount eye rolls as the American gun stuff from the international travelers around you. Seriously..

You're now breathing the rarified air out (up?) there, time to act like it! (lol, I keed, I keed... but really, marina gossip from a Bahamian dock boy? You were a journalist for god's sakes! Oh the humanity..).

How do the international travelers know? How do you know? How does anyone even know anyone is "packing heat" in the Bahamas? What are the details about how you found out about the three chaps packing heat there where you're at? I'm genuinely curious who brought it up and how you know of three Americans carrying in the Bahamas? Do the Americans you know of packing heat there walk around like The Duke daring someone to "make their day"? Were they bragging about it during cocktail hour? Were they asked about it preemptively due to being American? Inquiring minds want to know!
Well, I'm not exactly in full reporter mode these days. So, I am not making phone calls and fact-checking. My wifi is somewhat limited as well. I have a reasonable expectation that the locals know the law. And, actually, the scenario you present, a discussion over cocktails, is exactly how I learned one cruiser was carrying. We had drinks the other night and U.S. politics came up, with a pair of Aussies interested in talking about Trump and then guns (they had heard something about Obama's executive order). That broached the topic. The American volunteered that he had a shotgun aboard. The next day, out of curiosity, I asked the dockmaster what the law was. So, there you go.

The Aussies, btw, who bought a boat in the U.S. and sailed it over, told the story about their friend who declined to declare, was fined and briefly jailed. Again, I have no reason to doubt the story, but I did make it clear that it was second-hand, so cum grano salis. You can read about some of this on my blog.

Last edited by sneuman; 01-08-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
.... It is perfectly possible, and reasonable, to travel while armed......
Terrific. Except the US (if you're a citizen) and the Bahamas, do you have any examples, where you didn't just hand it over, every time you presumably might need it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #73 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
Boat Bum

Ill be able to report on Cuba next winter. The Windward and Leeward Is are to far uphill for my taste

No wife, no kids, no debt.

post #74 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Ill be able to report on Cuba next winter. The Windward and Leeward Is are to far uphill for my taste
... but Oh - so rewarding once you get there!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #75 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

This might be a good solution for some.

"Salt" Gun Promises Nonlethal Solution to Home Defense

Paint ball gun shooting Salt at 300 feet per second.
and refillable
Paint it bright orange.

Leaves a nice mark.
(Edit ... video deleted. Inappropriate for a sailing forum. tdw.)

If you are the squeamish type dont watch there is some blood and busted skin at the end!

But he is alive and stoped.

On a side note
Get the hell off my boat if you not invited!

Please and thank you goes a long way.

Last edited by tdw; 01-08-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Inappropriate content.
post #76 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Well, I'm not exactly in full reporter mode these days. So, I am not making phone calls and fact-checking. My wifi is somewhat limited as well. I have a reasonable expectation that the locals know the law. And, actually, the scenario you present, a discussion over cocktails, is exactly how I learned one cruiser was carrying. We had drinks the other night and U.S. politics came up, with a pair of Aussies interested in talking about Trump and then guns (they had heard something about Obama's executive order). That broached the topic. The American volunteered that he had a shotgun aboard. The next day, out of curiosity, I asked the dockmaster what the law was. So, there you go.

The Aussies, btw, who bought a boat in the U.S. and sailed it over, told the story about their friend who declined to declare, was fined and briefly jailed. Again, I have no reason to doubt the story, but I did make it clear that it was second-hand, so cum grano salis. You can read about some of this on my blog.
Dumb of the American to say he has a firearm aboard. No one cruising should (imo) tell anyone something like that. Boat gossip travels fast, why on earth would anyone blab that they have a firearm to strangers while in a foreign land...
RichH and olddog60 like this.
post #77 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
bell ringer

I've always wondered why it so important to each of the gun verse the anti-gun groups to "win" this topic. Just follow the laws of wherever you are and be done with it! If you aren't going to follow the law it means you are a criminal and should probably just shut up. Is it really any harder than this?
RichH likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

" Just follow the laws of "
I believe Stalin would have endorsed that concept. But that Jefferson, Franklin, and even Machiavelli would have said, free men make the laws, only slaves are bound to blindly follow them.

And of course, territorial sovereignty is a whole other issue. Mr. Trump would go ballistic if a Russian surveillance aircraft flew from LA to DC, but no one seemed to think that Gary Powers and at least 50 other similar documented overflights of the USSR were somehow, less invasive.

Machiavelli would probably not be surprised to hear that five hundred years later, the same arguments and games were being played, with the same conveniently short memory spans.
post #79 of 87 Old 01-08-2016
bell ringer

I have no idea what winning argument that is suppose to mean.

PS - who the hell cares what a bunch dead guys from days long gone had to say?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don0190; 01-08-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #80 of 87 Old 01-08-2016

the salt gun sounds cool, but what happens if the other guy has a real gun?
Minnewaska likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in