SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   This is probably a complicated topic, but... (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/236961-probably-complicated-topic-but.html)

AAAC 12-30-2015 11:31 PM

This is probably a complicated topic, but...

Do you folks have links to information regarding the possession of firearms on your boat? I'm also wondering how that applies to international waters??? I would assume in international waters, pretty much anything goes.?.? Is that true and if so, I assume the problem comes when leaving those waters and entering the jurisdiction of whatever country you are visiting??? I had one sailor tell me that it's standard procedure to check your firearms with the harbor master. Is that correct? Can you check your firearms pretty much wherever you go? If so, do they regulate what types of firearms you can be in possession of (and check in)?

I know I just asked a whole slew of questions...but I'd imagine there have to be some websites where I can learn how this issue is handled.?.?

I hold an FFL so firearm related issues are not new to me. That being said, I have no idea what laws govern them at sea. Thank you!!!

Erindipity 12-31-2015 12:08 AM

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...

This "naive" Poster is getting to be very irritating to me.
Can we have that Indian guy who posts relentlessly about Astrology Matchmaking back again?

ČErindipity

Stumble 12-31-2015 12:32 AM

The short answer is that in any country except the USA posession of firearms is far more regulated. In some countries simple posession of a gun or a single round of ammunition is considered a serious felony and could result in substantial jail time.

In most of these countries there is some process to turn over or secure guns when you arrive in country. How draconian these rules are vary by country, and it is your responsibly to know every countries laws and follow them. In some countries this may require you only enter the country at a specific port, turn over the firearms, and then leave the country from the same port. The likelihood of actually getting back your weapon varies again by country.

Other countries may simply require the weapon to be bonded aboard, or simply secured in a safe. Depends on the country.

For most cruisers carrying a firearm is simply not worth the trouble and risk.

AAAC 12-31-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erindipity (Post 3246377)
This "naive" Poster is getting to be very irritating to me.
Can we have that Indian guy who posts relentlessly about Astrology Matchmaking back again?

ČErindipity

He actually PM'ed me...

Minnewaska 12-31-2015 09:56 AM

Unfortunately, this topic has been deemed off limits by at least one, if not more, of the mods. While it's a totally legit question, entirely related to cruising, it seems that anyone with an opposing viewpoint on guns can't control themselves and eventually starts an argument. Your question will be moved to the Off Topic section, which many call the "sewer", as snotty comments challenging your values are allowed there.

Quick answer to your question, while the thread is still alive. There is no practical way to legally carry a firearm on your circumnavigation dream. You'll have to be more creative with personal protection. If you stay within the US, I assume since you have an FFL, you're well familiar with state reciprocity on hand guns.

Rhapsody-NS27 12-31-2015 10:06 AM

Let me introduce you to Advanced Search. Much of what you've been asking has been asked/answered in the past.

Minnewaska 12-31-2015 10:12 AM

Advanced search doesn't work great, but it was a good suggestion.

Better is to cut and paste the following into a google search box.....

site:sailnet.com guns

You can replace the term guns with anything you might want to research too. I tried it and the first dozen hits were all threads on your question. Prepare to have your blood boil, as you read the posts, regardless of your position. In the mix, you will find answers to your question.

SVAuspicious 12-31-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAC (Post 3246353)
I know I just asked a whole slew of questions...but I'd imagine there have to be some websites where I can learn how this issue is handled.?.?

You have said in the past that you are doing a lot of reading. It appears that your "reading" is asking questions here--not new or unique questions--and hoping for answers for you to read without having done basic research first.

You will never be self-sufficient on this course of action.

There are a lot of helpful people here and on other fora. Asking the same questions that have been asked and answered time and again will only result in snarky and increasingly irritated responses.

A question along the lines of "I read all the posts on guns on SailNet and Cruisers Forum over the last three years and think I understand. There is some conflicting advice and I'd appreciate some additional insight into securing firearms and the real world issue of getting back firearms that are confiscated." will be much better received and might even result in some civil discussion.

In the meantime you are very probably driving away the people you most want to hear from. Do your homework and only then ask questions.

MarkofSeaLife 12-31-2015 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3246713)

There are a lot of helpful people here and on other fora.

"Fora"? Is that a flower without a leaf?

This is the only reply I have made to a gun thread in ages.

XSrcing 12-31-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 3246713)
There are a lot of helpful people here and on other fora.

Apparently you aren't one of them.

Yes, the search function exists, but it sucks.

This is a question I have been curious about as well.