This is probably a complicated topic, but... - SailNet Community
 47Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter

This is probably a complicated topic, but...

Do you folks have links to information regarding the possession of firearms on your boat? I'm also wondering how that applies to international waters??? I would assume in international waters, pretty much anything goes.?.? Is that true and if so, I assume the problem comes when leaving those waters and entering the jurisdiction of whatever country you are visiting??? I had one sailor tell me that it's standard procedure to check your firearms with the harbor master. Is that correct? Can you check your firearms pretty much wherever you go? If so, do they regulate what types of firearms you can be in possession of (and check in)?

I know I just asked a whole slew of questions...but I'd imagine there have to be some websites where I can learn how this issue is handled.?.?

I hold an FFL so firearm related issues are not new to me. That being said, I have no idea what laws govern them at sea. Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 12-30-2015
Beyond The Pale

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...

This "naive" Poster is getting to be very irritating to me.
Can we have that Indian guy who posts relentlessly about Astrology Matchmaking back again?

¬Erindipity
capta, wallster and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
post #3 of 87 Old 12-30-2015

The short answer is that in any country except the USA posession of firearms is far more regulated. In some countries simple posession of a gun or a single round of ammunition is considered a serious felony and could result in substantial jail time.

In most of these countries there is some process to turn over or secure guns when you arrive in country. How draconian these rules are vary by country, and it is your responsibly to know every countries laws and follow them. In some countries this may require you only enter the country at a specific port, turn over the firearms, and then leave the country from the same port. The likelihood of actually getting back your weapon varies again by country.

Other countries may simply require the weapon to be bonded aboard, or simply secured in a safe. Depends on the country.

For most cruisers carrying a firearm is simply not worth the trouble and risk.
AAAC likes this.

Greg

post #4 of 87 Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
This "naive" Poster is getting to be very irritating to me.
Can we have that Indian guy who posts relentlessly about Astrology Matchmaking back again?

¬Erindipity
He actually PM'ed me...
post #5 of 87 Old 12-31-2015

Unfortunately, this topic has been deemed off limits by at least one, if not more, of the mods. While it's a totally legit question, entirely related to cruising, it seems that anyone with an opposing viewpoint on guns can't control themselves and eventually starts an argument. Your question will be moved to the Off Topic section, which many call the "sewer", as snotty comments challenging your values are allowed there.

Quick answer to your question, while the thread is still alive. There is no practical way to legally carry a firearm on your circumnavigation dream. You'll have to be more creative with personal protection. If you stay within the US, I assume since you have an FFL, you're well familiar with state reciprocity on hand guns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 87 Old 12-31-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

Let me introduce you to Advanced Search. Much of what you've been asking has been asked/answered in the past.
wallster likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #7 of 87 Old 12-31-2015

Advanced search doesn't work great, but it was a good suggestion.

Better is to cut and paste the following into a google search box.....

site:sailnet.com guns

You can replace the term guns with anything you might want to research too. I tried it and the first dozen hits were all threads on your question. Prepare to have your blood boil, as you read the posts, regardless of your position. In the mix, you will find answers to your question.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 87 Old 12-31-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAC View Post
I know I just asked a whole slew of questions...but I'd imagine there have to be some websites where I can learn how this issue is handled.?.?
You have said in the past that you are doing a lot of reading. It appears that your "reading" is asking questions here--not new or unique questions--and hoping for answers for you to read without having done basic research first.

You will never be self-sufficient on this course of action.

There are a lot of helpful people here and on other fora. Asking the same questions that have been asked and answered time and again will only result in snarky and increasingly irritated responses.

A question along the lines of "I read all the posts on guns on SailNet and Cruisers Forum over the last three years and think I understand. There is some conflicting advice and I'd appreciate some additional insight into securing firearms and the real world issue of getting back firearms that are confiscated." will be much better received and might even result in some civil discussion.

In the meantime you are very probably driving away the people you most want to hear from. Do your homework and only then ask questions.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #9 of 87 Old 12-31-2015

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

There are a lot of helpful people here and on other fora.
"Fora"? Is that a flower without a leaf?

This is the only reply I have made to a gun thread in ages.
post #10 of 87 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
There are a lot of helpful people here and on other fora.
Apparently you aren't one of them.

Yes, the search function exists, but it sucks.

This is a question I have been curious about as well.

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in