Paying to watch youtube cruising vids - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 283 Old 01-02-2016

Re: Paying to watch youtube cruising vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm ALWAYS facetious. So don't worry, gama.
True dat.

Hey Smack, what's with the new avatar? you go from Michael Douglas to what looks like Hunter S. Thompson; what gives? Enquiring minds want to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 283 Old 01-02-2016
Banned

I have a policy that I change my avatar every 7 years - come rain or shine.

Actually, the "Falling Down" avatar was more for my FightClub days. I'm over all that now. And anyway, I'm much more Hunter S. Thompson at heart - gonzo journalism on the boating world being my forte.

"Fear and Loathing in Blue Water Boats" - you know.
post #103 of 283 Old 01-02-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have a policy that I change my avatar every 7 years - come rain or shine.

Actually, the "Falling Down" avatar was more for my FightClub days. I'm over all that now. And anyway, I'm much more Hunter S. Thompson at heart - gonzo journalism on the boating world being my forte.

"Fear and Loathing in Blue Water Boats" - you know.

I'm pleased and disappointed all in one.

First disappointed in myself.. .I sort of thought your previous avatar might have been Mr. Smack.. partial because when I watched one of your videos and since your handsome sons had glasses.. well I'm an idiot... I didn't know this movie until now

But I do know Hunter..

Bravo. Would have loved to see Mr. Thompsons' youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

post #104 of 283 Old 01-02-2016
Banned

I'm thinking I need to embed myself at the next Annapolis Boat Show and expound in moving image the ominous and depraved machinations of well-heeled epoxy addicts and thruster merchants. If all goes well, I'll be able to convince the Catalina representative that his Hinckley counterpart has accused the former of being deeply inbred - thereby starting a bloody blue water brawl on the crowded docks.

Patreon be damned. It will go straight to CNN.
post #105 of 283 Old 01-02-2016

Now you're channeling a homophobic wife beater drug addict? Ok then...
post #106 of 283 Old 01-03-2016
I'm new here

I run several YouTube channels. Hundreds of thousands of views and barely $100 every other month comes through. One would really need millions of views per video and a library of thousands of videos (think guys & gals with daily shows) to actually pay bills with adSense income.

One of my channels is restoring an old Japanese rotary car. I had what I though was an appropriate budget when I got started 3 years ago. I ran out of money pretty fast and now can only work on things as my day job income can compensate for. I've turned to Patreon recently as a platform for any of my followers to help out. Just one subscriber at the time of this post but hey, you can't get what you don't ask for. My 1st goal is to ditch ads so my viewers can watch without having to click them off or the skip button.

I DO pay for some Patreon creators, and yes, they happen to be Sailing creators. The ones I pay I am a big fan of and therefore look forward to watch their next shows the day it is available. Am also thrilled when there is additional content to see that is not necessarily part of their storyline - things the free YouTubers won't see (kind of like that bonus content of a BluRay with behind the scenes goodies).

Here is why I pay and how I decide weather or not to support them.

Delos was the first sailing video I ever watched. It was episode 58 or something. Hot babe on the thumbnail came up when I had done a search for "time shifting" or something like that. I think the Delos title was "Time doesn't Matter". Clicked it, was captivated, and my interest in sailing was piqued. Went home and started a binge watch session with the wife of Delos starting with the beginning. We both really enjoyed the different characters, rotation of crew, beautiful scenery, explanations of how to do maintenance, and so forth. I haven't paid for cable TV in years and watch any content I'm after on the internet so YouTube is a no brainer there. I had no problem with supporting Delos as we really enjoyed how they blossomed into great storytellers. Being a filmmaker myself, I can totally relate to the work involved in production. While my wife would like to cancel support for Delos as lately, they seem to be much more about getting drunk and partying, we still currently pay $2 for Delos content.

Sailing LaVagabond is an awesome show. Elayna is the cutest thing ever and Riley is one handsome bloke. I'm brand new to sailing and so were they so that really caught our interest. Learning some dos and don'ts form people who picked it up the hard way is interesting to us. We don't mind contributing $5 to SLV.

Sailing Uma - I'm trying very hard to get rid of my couch. Once you are drowning in possessions it becomes very difficult to liquidate. I'd love to get rid of most of my things and live a cruising lifestyle. These kids did it right from the start - "Don't buy the couch". I love how skilled they are at things, being engineers and all, I'm sure they've watched a boat load (pun intended) of how to videos but I learn something new every time I watch their vids. Dan & Kika seem to have similar values as my wife and I. They give back to the community and strive to leave as small an environmental footprint as possible. BTW, Sailing Uma has sold themselves short in my opinion. They've offered a $1 option which MANY people have opted for (we pay $2). Sailing LaVagabond, on the other had has a minimum support of $5 per vid and their per video allotment is substantial. I think Uma should rethink their strategy.

Sailing Vessel Prism is a show my wife likes the best. The couple's story and their interactions together are tops in my wife's opinion. The guy is more respectful of his girl than any of the other sailors we watch (except maybe Dan & Kika). It also really helps our interest that Prism is sailing in waters my wife and I will be sailing in soon. Excellent stuff. We pay $5 for Prism.

Someone mentioned White Spot Pirates. We do not support White Spot Pirates and it is mostly because it makes us both nervous in what she does and doesn't do. She's very insecure, not smart with many decisions, seemingly unprepared for the tasks before she ventures into them (whereas Dan & Kika have done a boatload of homework before they tackle a project). Hers seems an impulsive whim whereas others clearly plan and anticipate plans B, C, & D for obstacles that arise.

We also LOVE to watch Chase The Story but they haven't asked for money. Seems they are wealthy and got it handled.

Incidentally, For deciding who to pay - I don't care if the YouTuber has money for their project or not, if they've made great videos and got me hooked with great stories AND have asked...I will likely say yes and toss a couple bucks into the jar. Those who say "they don't need money" should ask themselves if they've ever been to a movie theater EVER. Disney has a BOAT load of money and I still paid to go see Star Wars. What movie did you see last in a theater? I bet the studio involved had plenty of money to start with.
post #107 of 283 Old 01-03-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have no problem with the tip jar concept, I just can't as easily get my head around who to pay. There is so much content, you can't pay them all. Once it becomes a product and not just a conversation at the bar, my expectation for quality goes way up.
I think that's your answer right there. The ones that do rise up to the quality you expect, you might consider throwing them a few bucks. Just watch vids of the rest as long as they are free. If those one disappear then who cares, their quality wasn't that good to start with. If they are pretty good, give them a like and subscribe. Still helps them get other views (through ranking). There's no pressure.

I look at it just like street performers. Most of them you just walk by. Even if I like what they are doing, I never feel obligated to contribute. I'm not too far from NYC so I spend some days there sometimes. Plenty of street performers, most are actually pretty good. Typically I just walk by. Once in Central Park, there was a quartet of violins playing. They were beyond amazing. Probably Julliard students. Just stood there and listened for a while. Ended up giving them $5 or $10. That was quality. Simple as that.
smackdaddy and titustiger27 like this.

S/V Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 283 Old 01-03-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantail View Post
Incidentally, For deciding who to pay - I don't care if the YouTuber has money for their project or not, if they've made great videos and got me hooked with great stories AND have asked...I will likely say yes and toss a couple bucks into the jar. Those who say "they don't need money" should ask themselves if they've ever been to a movie theater EVER. Disney has a BOAT load of money and I still paid to go see Star Wars. What movie did you see last in a theater? I bet the studio involved had plenty of money to start with.
Welcome to SN, Fantail! A local, too, I see This statement of yours hit a cord with me, so I hope you'll bear with me and not get offended that it sounds like you're a young(ish) guy. My son (early 30s himself) has this same philosophy. I think those of us in the next higher generation, and even more so two generations removed from yours, don't look upon an open hand in quite the same way. We often consider it a character deficiency. This might be the missing link in the conversation so far -- it's just a generational thing. Those of us who are older are conflicted because we question the motivation and purpose ("Why don't they just get a real job like I had to at that age?"); while those who are younger see it as a normal part of their entertainment costs.
post #109 of 283 Old 01-03-2016
I'm new here

Thanks for the welcome gamayun. I loved your first post on this thread and agreed completely. I did notice we were near each other (I'm in Redwood City).

I've got a 29 year old myself. I also have a full time day job or "career" as some would call it. People like SV Delos started on their own nickel, cruised until the money ran out, went back to work, saved, then returned to the boat. Discovering Patreon as a possible aid occurred much later. That's kind of what I've done with my car restoration. When I have surplus funds, I get parts, tools, plating, etc. And I just love documenting it with film and editing is a hoot. It brings me joy to work the car, and equal joy to share my ups and downs with other car enthusiasts. Its not easy for me (or perhaps my generation) to ask for money. But the need is there, so I strapped on some courage, and did it.

Others like Sailing Uma asked from day one. I don't begrudge them for their different circumstances. They still make outstanding vids and have good storytelling. "I'll buy that for a dollar!"
gamayun likes this.
post #110 of 283 Old 01-03-2016

Holding out the tin cup does cut across the grain a little - I turned 60 last week.

I have been a journalist for 90 per cent of my working life.

Initially it was on an agricultural machinery magazine payed for by the adverts

then to Farmers Weekly - paid for by the cover price and the adverts

then to the BBC paid for by a hypothecated tax (license fee).

Now I make films about my life long passion which is sailing.

Initially the films were behind a paywall - people payed $4.99 a quarter to access all the films

for a while I had 1,000 old blokes coughing up

but bandwidth was low and streaming rare.

The demand for the DVDs started to pick up - which allowed me to replace the 18 footer when the inboard went zip.

Then the DVD sales died so out came the tin cup.

I get a few comments from people questioning why they should pay for my sailing

although what they are doing is paying for my film-making skills (such as they are).

Some of the blokes, apparently find the the films, watch a couple of hundred and then suddenly find the ones with the nag on the front pointing out that the films have been paid for by old sailors just like themselves - and they get a bit angry at me for pointing it out.

However, my offspring are now early 20s and this is the world they have grown up in

you get stuff for free and then you give if you wish

how many of us using Firefox to browse this forum. For some reason windows ten is being given away free.

In the past when words and pictures were spattered onto wood pulp or films had to be magnetised onto VHS taper or burned onto DVDs there was a physical production and transport side to distributing words and images

now they flow like water across the world - the cost of distribution per gigabyte is almost zero.

We now pay to not have the adverts on spotify or use an ad blocker on google.

I cannot really see any alternative to asking for money - either people give it or the project dies.

In my own circumstances without the donations I would sail a lot less and make no films. My boat would have been moved to the closest sailable river and I would have idled my closing years away just pootling around.

My guess is that the two million sailing youtube hits and the 12,000 youtube subscribers mean that the work is appreciated in some way

if one in 20 or one in 100 is motivated to encourage me to keep going in the new way by sending paypal taps then that is marvelous

as to those who choose not to pay but to continue watching the films as I make them......

well it has not cost me anything to get it to them. the films are still there after they have watched them.

What amazes me is the people who get angry about being given the opportunity to chip in to a project they have obviously enjoyed in some way.

The ones who take the buscuit are the ones who send me a 200 word rant about they are not going to pay because they can't afford it and there in their avatar is a 30 footer.

Do I pay for free things on the web?

I give Mozilla money and Wiki.

I do not chip in to any of the eight or ten other video cruisers out there because it is not my sort of sailing - clear warm water, scuba diving, big boats.

but if a bloke started making decent films about the North American coast, the chesapeake and PNW and told me a bit about the history, showed me some boats and tried to keep the wind noise off his films then I would give him money to encourage him to make more films and keep going.

I have never done a project like this before.

When I started I was doing it just for me. Eight years ago I had a 20 week a year contract with the BBC - that was enough to fund what at the time was a personal indulgence to sail around my own island.

Three weeks after the start of the journey I got one of those calls from the boss man at the BBC telling me that the contract would not be renewed - I was 52 and I sobbed a little sitting in the cockpit. But I have been a freelance for 30 years and bosses are like busses - another will be along soon.

Now I have 1000 bosses -old blokes who tap me money. When I am sailing I often imagine 1000 old small boat sailors offering critiques of the way my sails are set or mumbling that I am going the wrong side of a buoy

imaybe even expressing disgust at the latest recipe from the KTL school of nautical cuisine.

the old blokes send me pictures of their boats - which I love seeing in my inbox.

best of all I am sometimes sitting in the cockpit and some old fellah will come walking down the pontoon and proffer a bottle of cheap scotch.

This year I aim to get a drone for occasional use.

the boat is currently in Mylor in Falmouth

https://www.mylor.com/webcams-2/

a few of the blokes watch me rig and head out and I try to sail around in front of the cameras for a bit

I assume that fairly soon I will have a web cam on a stick on the back of the boat and they will be able to watch an ugly old bloke sail a **** boat up a muddy river with a real natuical history.

One bloke said that the films are the next best thing to sailing - and I will go with that.l

- so if some ice bound canuck on his excercise bike is minded to bung me $5 every time I make him forget he is on his excercise bike then fekkingoodonim!

Is that any worse than paying to watch a DVD or paying for a magazine before you buy it?

so if any of you are MOB tappers - thanks boys

if any of you have watched 200 or 300 of my films and still not tapped in - well no harm done

D

PS - therm MOB stands for mainly old blokes. Youtube tells me that 97 per cent of the people who watch the films are men - most are aged between 50 and 70. Over half are in North America. One of the blokes in a comment on the website used the term Mainly Old Blokes and they started self identifying as MOBs.
SVTatia, gamayun and mbianka like this.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 01-03-2016 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in