Paying to watch youtube cruising vids - Page 24 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 283 Old 08-15-2016

Re: Paying to watch youtube cruising vids

Me too. As long as you don't come back and have to live off the social programs that the mortgage and kid bound folks paid for. Otherwise, I'm envious.

WTF social programs would anybody come back to the USA for? What a joke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 283 Old 08-16-2016
Vernon

What they definitely will have is years of experiences that the other 99% will never have. Going sailing once you're retired and doing it while young like La Vag and Delos are 2 very different things. Good on them and who cares about whether they're saving for later, they seem all very resourceful people and things always work out for such people.
aeventyr60 and Sal Paradise like this.
post #233 of 283 Old 08-16-2016
Captain Obvious

A very interesting thread Minnewaska.

I haven't contributed, but I think I am ready to start contributing to a couple of the better done projects. What has held it back I think is - it is a different model from what we are used to.

The idea of voting with a few dollars to encourage this type of media project which benefits me as a (dreamer) sailor seems like the way to think about it. Also in general I have admiration for cruisers so I feel guilty that I don't at least kick in a few bucks for people who are really putting out the effort. So I guess that is the positive feedback loop others are talking about. Oddly, I really mind the few people who keep nagging about Patreon or are just trying to be a poorly done talk show.

Not too concerned about judging the sustainability of the lifestyle. We probably don't have enough information to even guess. Also, this lifestyle can't be easy, so anyone capable enough to pull this off on the level of say Delos is probably more than competent enough to achieve a productive life in the future. In any case, it isn't my responsibility.

It seems to be a rule that bikinis in the preview really ups the view counts.
aeventyr60 and seabeau like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-16-2016 at 08:24 AM.

post #234 of 283 Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter

I think the early adopters, as usual, are going to have an edge on generating revenue from self-documentaries. As word of the few success stories continues to spread, the field will likely become grossly over populated (if it isn't already). YouTube suggests a new sailing related channel to me every day. Those I subscribe to were probably 50/50 Patreon, now they are 100%.

A new phenom lately is I have started to unsubscribe to some channels, as I add new. Competition.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #235 of 283 Old 08-16-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Producing good video is time consuming. I doubt vagabond can generate a new episode every week. Every 2 weeks continuously would be a lot.

The Shards have been doing VERY well with their tele series. I'm sure they dont do 52 episodes per year, max 26 and maybe only 13 per year. And they do some of the finishing at an edit house in Toronto.
I have followed them since they were dropping video onto the old Lats and Atts site and purchased all of their seasons. I believe I did hear him say in a podcast interview that they now have the equipment to be able to do their entire production from the boat.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #236 of 283 Old 08-16-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think the early adopters, as usual, are going to have an edge on generating revenue from self-documentaries. As word of the few success stories continues to spread, the field will likely become grossly over populated (if it isn't already). YouTube suggests a new sailing related channel to me every day. Those I subscribe to were probably 50/50 Patreon, now they are 100%.

A new phenom lately is I have started to unsubscribe to some channels, as I add new. Competition.

I agree for the most part on early adpoters, though I suspect there might be a little of what happens with Americans on new sports.. ones they create -- King of the snowboard.. get it into the Olympics and other countries see what is done right... and get better.

I don't subscribe, but I do look at the long list and stop watching some.. or not look at others, since I feel I have spent enough time on what I watch already

Vector X Y
post #237 of 283 Old 08-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I agree for the most part on early adpoters, though I suspect there might be a little of what happens with Americans on new sports.. ones they create -- King of the snowboard.. get it into the Olympics and other countries see what is done right... and get better.

I don't subscribe, but I do look at the long list and stop watching some.. or not look at others, since I feel I have spent enough time on what I watch already

I find them helpful to get through winters here in the Northeast or until I head off for a winter charter. I also like to compare their experiences with places I have also cruised or serve as reconnaissance to some places I might want to visit or avoid in the future. One or two is enough to subscribe for my purposes but, I do glance at others as they pop up from time to time. I try to save them for winter viewing as I'm on my own boat this time of year enjoying my own experiences. As it should be.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #238 of 283 Old 08-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I have followed them since they were dropping video onto the old Lats and Atts site and purchased all of their seasons. I believe I did hear him say in a podcast interview that they now have the equipment to be able to do their entire production from the boat.
I talked to Sheryl last month, they were on their way to T O to do some finishing. I suspect he does most on the boat but has an edit house do the finishing touches...but thats just an educated guess
post #239 of 283 Old 08-16-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I find them helpful to get through winters here in the Northeast or until I head off for a winter charter. I also like to compare their experiences with places I have also cruised or serve as reconnaissance to some places I might want to visit or avoid in the future. One or two is enough to subscribe for my purposes but, I do glance at others as they pop up from time to time. I try to save them for winter viewing as I'm on my own boat this time of year enjoying my own experiences. As it should be.

Since I haven't I compare them with each other.. I think how each deal with the swimming pigs is interesting.

Since I to to https://sailing-channels.com/by-upload at least once a day, I tend to not subscribe, mostly because I get the notice a day or two later

Vector X Y
post #240 of 283 Old 08-16-2016

The problem I see is that cheap or low effort videos made by people with little or no expectation of money get lumped together with the superior efforts.

I became aware of Dylan's Keep Turning Left videos due to sailing forums like this and from what little I've seen they seem on a different tier from the huge majority of what's out there on Youtube, sailing or otherwise. Films with that quality of production value and content seem like they could be sold to and broadcast on a TV channel, they are way better than most of what I see flipping around on cable TV. KTL could easily occupy a niche on a travel or history oriented channel, but I've learned reading this thread that Dylan used to have a deal with BBC but got canceled. Oh well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in