Paying to watch youtube cruising vids - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 283 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Paying to watch youtube cruising vids

I'm curious to hear what I anticipate being very different opinions of who makes monetary contributions to Patreon accounts or makes other financial contributions to folks who post self documentaries of their cruising.

I watch and subscribe to several. Few are really all that well done, but I find them akin to a conversation in the cockpit. They're not all well rehearsed or organized, but I enjoy the story.

I estimate I follow an even split between kids just starting out and more salty folks that have been at this a while. Do you refuse to contribute? Do you contribute to them all? Do you pick which are the best and what's the criteria for that?

I'm not going to name names, but give some examples.

I love watching a vid series of a couple of young kids on an extended cruise. It totally brings me back to being their age, when I never chose to do what they have. I love it. The videography is pretty poor by anyone's standard, but I don't really care. Then they discovered Patreon and would like some contributions to help them continue what is arguably an unsustainable lifestyle. I'm conflicted. Would I send them a few bucks as comp for the entertainment? Maybe, but why just them, everyone is asking. On the other hand, while it's awesome that they had this adventure, there will come a time they will need to provide for their medical care, retirement, etc, and not live off others. IOW, are they selling a product or just holding out a cup on the street corner, in your opinion?

Others have documented years, if not decades, of cruising, with no information whatsoever on how they fund it. Are they independently wealthy? Did they inherit the money they are using to cruise full time? Or, in one case, as was revealed on the internet, they were a complete fraud that was appearing destitute, when they were a highly paid internet security consultant. Perhaps they do work and just don't reveal how.

Is this a new business model? What's your take?
Sal Paradise and kimonochi like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
kimonochi (01-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 283 Old 12-31-2015

Re: Paying to watch youtube cruising vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Is this a new business model? What's your take?
Interesting question.

My take is that it is no different than a few decades after they invented movable type and they published books for "the masses."

"Holy Cow," old Mr. Gutenberg said, "now the masses are gonna start complaining that there's too much information out there and bug me with 'What book(s) should I read next?"

Some things never change.

You find what you like and then you read/follow it/them/she/he/it.

I've learned about new-to-me authors by picking up paperback books at my marina lending library; authors I never would have known about and have come to treasure.

Same thing with stuff on the internet. Find it, try it, come back to it or pass it by. No different than any other form of communication.

I use regular libraries, lending or swap libraries and buy both used and new books.

Seems it would be the same although most of us feel the FREE internet should remain that way. I've never contributed to any blog or YouTube. But I have personally spent countless hours preparing material on boating systems and share those links in response to recurring questions. I don't expect to get paid.
MarcStAug likes this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 12-31-2015 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 283 Old 12-31-2015
Boat Bum

MarcStAug likes this.

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 06:47 PM.

post #4 of 283 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

The investopedia link on youtube advertising revenue was interesting. Thanks.

I went to look at the number of views for the vids on the various subscriptions I have. They are highly variable, from only a few thousand to as many as 30,000. Still, they're not going to apparently translate to much money. I couldn't tell which did or did not have "monetization" turned on.

What I had never noticed before, however, was that the young kids have way more views. Even though their video production quality is often far inferior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 283 Old 12-31-2015

I do not donate to any Patreon accounts, but I buy t-shirts from the channels I enjoy.

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.
post #6 of 283 Old 12-31-2015

I've never really followed anyone on YouTube, so I haven't donated to anyone either.

But if I were going to donate I'd be more likely to donate to the kids than the oldsters. I've given money to my nephews and nieces to encourage them in their travels, but if my sisters want to go anywhere they have to fund that on their own.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 283 Old 12-31-2015

I believe you can make a six figure income from ad revenue alone if you get to 200k subscribers. No cruisers are close to that as far as I can see. Mostly gamers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zeehag likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleemus For This Useful Post:
norsearayder (01-12-2016)
post #8 of 283 Old 12-31-2015
Old enough to know better

There seems to be a range from poorly filmed but fun to watch the enthusiasm, to well filmed. Some have good DIY info thrown in as well, while others concentrate on that. I do wish the YouTube was more open about how they pay. As it is now it is a mystery and you never know how much you are going to make. I know for instance Keep Turning Left has had issues with YouTube not really paying what they are supposed to. I think that is the big reason for the push to Patrion as it is the only way to get a consistent flow of income.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #9 of 283 Old 12-31-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I believe you can make a six figure income from ad revenue alone if you get to 200k subscribers. No cruisers are close to that as far as I can see. Mostly gamers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And even then it is still kind of sketchy. I know the gamers do sponsorship as well, and likely make for from that than YouTube. Of course Drake, and Nike both get sponsorship as well. That seems to be a good model, though most sailing sponsors seem to only be willing to give gear not cash like the gaming industry.

There was for a while the shoppers that were posting, but not sure if they are sill popular.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #10 of 283 Old 12-31-2015

When you monetize your account you sign an NDA about the pay structure.

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in