Beware..Pirates of the Caribbean - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 84 Old 01-07-2016

Re: Beware..Pirates of the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Another helpful thread ruined by the second amendment nut jobs????

......and would never even think about taking a gun cruising with me. And I have the training necessary to actually potentially protect myself. It is just not worth the hassle and anything you would consider carrying is not going to much use, a shot gun or hand gun? Both close range only they will be on your boat before they are effective. If you are that afraid of the outside world just stay home in your bunker in Idaho. You will be safe there for sure! No body wants what you have. When traveling in other countries you need to follow there laws and rules. To think that your rights or privileges follow you into other countries is just plain arrogant. It is this thinking that gives us the world wide image of being rude, arrogant and obnoxious.
As a licensed permit holder myself here in Georgia... no reason the 2nd Amend. cannot be discussed in a civilized manner.... not all of us agree... just as many do not agree on the 'anchor baby' debate although that too is in our Constitution by the way and one I served in this country to protect!

So basically you too are in agreement the guns stay home when cruising... not much different than what I have been referring to... albeit some think it was 'looney' too to mention it!

Last edited by guitarguy56; 01-07-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 84 Old 01-07-2016
bell ringer

Every thread like this reminds me that I need to be at least as scared of cruisers as of any "locals"
alctel likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 84 Old 01-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by don0190 View Post
every thread like this reminds me that i need to be at least as scared of cruisers as of any "locals"
+1

post #74 of 84 Old 01-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Every thread like this reminds me that I need to be at least as scared of cruisers as of any "locals"
My thoughts exactly!

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 84 Old 01-07-2016
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
At the moment I don't think we have an ambassador to Venezuela or official diplomatic ties. Venezuela wouldn't lift a finger to help an American yacht at this time, I'm sure.
I hear the French navy is more than happy to blast pirate boats out of the water.

-C
post #76 of 84 Old 01-07-2016

Somehow I doubt the cruisers will board your vessel, threaten your family at gun point and steal everything they can. Until you have experienced this, as I have, you have no idea frekin what your talking about.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40

Last edited by jimrafford; 01-07-2016 at 09:09 PM.
post #77 of 84 Old 01-07-2016

Had the boat with a yacht management service for awhile. Through other users of this service was told an interesting story.

Another cruisier using this service was placed on a mooring down in the east end of Tortola. He was on his boat when a boarding was attempted. They failed and went back into their small boat. He was back in his companion way when they shot at him as they were powering away. Fortunately he survived. They were never caught. This occurred in 2014

When discussed in 2015 it was thought they shot at him because he was flying the Stars and Stripes. The presumption being he would get his gun and shoot at them so they needed to shoot first and prevent him shooting until they were out of range.

My flag is up when I'm under sail as required. That's it.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #78 of 84 Old 01-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....When discussed in 2015 it was thought they shot at him because he was flying the Stars and Stripes. The presumption being he would get his gun and shoot at them so they needed to shoot first and prevent him shooting until they were out of range.

My flag is up when I'm under sail as required. That's it.
Out, weren't these kids arrested a couple of months later, after they terrorized several boats/boaters? I recall the story in the news, but couldn't find it easily. I don't recall this assumption. One would think, if they actually had this mental image, they would have boarded another boat in the first place. I do seem to recall, the boat owner pursued them, as they were fleeing. If they're leaving, let them go. The kids probably shot, because they were stupid and scared.

I believe no one is allowed to own a gun in the BVI. Interesting that they still have gun violence, even murders.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #79 of 84 Old 01-08-2016

Minnie I believe your right they did eventually get bagged.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #80 of 84 Old 01-09-2016

I thought it was at port and in foreign waters your required to fly a foreign courtesy on the starboard spreader and your ensign on the stern? Thats what I've been doing, when I'm making passage my ensign always wants work it's way free so it's in a tube below.
Geeze I didn't hear any of this I was there at the same time too! The BVI I aways feel the most comfortable especially in Tortola with the cops cruising around in those go fast boats all decked out in black with assault weapons.
Anybody know where you can find that rule on flying an ensign I looked at both USCG and USPS couldn't find any definitive answer.
thanks

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in