Sailing Magazines - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 Old 10-10-2006
Pat

What do people think about Practical Sailor?

Pat in the Desert Sea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 Old 10-11-2006

PS is a must read for "the rest of us." They do not advertise which means that they are not being paid for making any product look good. (Notice how Sail magazine always has their top two advertisers in the annual top 10 boats). PS perform practical tests using practical methods. As an engineer, I think it would be a blast working for them in their product test department. When they call a product a best bet, you can be comfortable spending your money on it.

Cheers
Dennis
post #23 of 50 Old 10-11-2006

I subscribe to Cruising World and Practical Sailor. I'm letting my subscription to CW run out, but I will always get PS. I describe PS to my non-sailing friends as "Consumer Reports for Sailors." I do put a lot of stock in their opinions since, as Dennis pointed out, they don't advertise and so have no apparent vested interest in any particular product. My only gripe about them is that sometimes on some products, like bottom paint, their opinion changes. I use Trinidad SR on my boat and they really liked it about two years ago and now they don't. I confess to not understanding why. Overall, however, I think PS is well worth getting if you own a sailboat.

post #24 of 50 Old 10-11-2006

I vote for Lattitudes and Attitudes magazine.
post #25 of 50 Old 10-11-2006

As an assignment for a marketing class I had to compare two full page magazine ads for similar products. I had just come home from a business trip and had fresh copies of CW and Sail. I ended up comparing two sail manufacturers. One was for racing one for cruising but that is not the point. As soon as we got the assignment I figured that I would compare Harken and Schaefer blocks or Harken vs. Lewmar winches. I couldn’t do it because only Harken had the full page ad. It really opened my eyes to see what market these magazines target. CW and Sail are primarily for people who do not own boats. Why else would a magazine have so many ads for boat and charters and so few ads for hardware? Go to Boatworks (so far a GREAT magazine) GOB, L&A as well as Wooden Boat and you can find at least three different ads from different manufacturers for each type of component you have on your boat. That is the magazine that is targeting me. My 40 year old Luders 33 needs just about everything so I want to know what is out there and neither CW nor Sail tell me what I need to know. They are magazines that have good stories about sailing. Couple Boatworks, GOB, L&A etc with Practical Sailor, the Consumer Reports for boaters, and you can have a well outfitted boat for reasonable cost.

Cheers
Dennis
post #26 of 50 Old 10-12-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Practical Sailor

Can't argue with PS being a good pub. I just found, after a couple of years, that it seemed to be focused too much on the high end sailor, and I wasn't getting enough to justify the cost.
Sail does seem to be doing some odd things. Offered me a deal after my sub had lapsed and then, halfway thru subscrip, it just stopped coming! Pretty spotty issue to issue on usable info. Agree with sentiment, for people who don't own boats. Boatworks has been pretty good. DIY less-so.
Good Old Boat is the only thing I can count on reading cover to cover!
post #27 of 50 Old 10-12-2006

PS is kind of expensive, though.
post #28 of 50 Old 10-12-2006

Classic Yacht magazine

I signed up for Classic Yacht magazine online at www.classicyachtmag.com . It looks promising, plus its free.

GC
post #29 of 50 Old 10-12-2006

I will be the lone desenter on PS as I have noticed their methodology to be flawed. A recent adhesive test found 5200 to be weak in its adhesive properties. This is not true as many of you know. After reading the the methodoly and looking at the pictures it was easy to see different size globs on the dowel they used. Poor methods being passed off as science.
Good Old Boat on the other hand is approachable and readable.
post #30 of 50 Old 10-15-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks, all of you for replying!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in