Thieves suck! - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter

Thieves suck!

Add this one to the many who have gone before me. Dinghy outboard stolen off the stern rail of my boat. Went to check on boat after the holidays only to find that my locked and covered outboard was gone. Thieves really suck. I guess they are people that have no knowledge of working for something that you need or want, and paying for it. Makes you feel violated in some way. This happened at Naval Air Station Pensacola, FL. Supposed to be a safe marina. Nothing is safe at night on a waterway. I shouldn't have been so na´ve as to think wouldn't happen. Just too trusting I guess. Lock your motors below if possible. Out of sight, out of mind. The motor was such a tiny little 2.5hp 4 stroke Mercury. Who would really want it anyway? Well I guess someone did. Glad I still have paddles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

Re: Thieves suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already There View Post
Add this one to the many who have gone before me. Dinghy outboard stolen off the stern rail of my boat. Went to check on boat after the holidays only to find that my locked and covered outboard was gone. Thieves really suck. I guess they are people that have no knowledge of working for something that you need or want, and paying for it. Makes you feel violated in some way. This happened at Naval Air Station Pensacola, FL. Supposed to be a safe marina. Nothing is safe at night on a waterway. I shouldn't have been so na´ve as to think wouldn't happen. Just too trusting I guess. Lock your motors below if possible. Out of sight, out of mind. The motor was such a tiny little 2.5hp 4 stroke Mercury. Who would really want it anyway? Well I guess someone did. Glad I still have paddles.
Times are getting tough for people.

Manhole Lid Theft Is On the Rise
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/ny...vers.html?_r=0

Copper theft
Copper theft 'like an epidemic' sweeping US

Remember Humans are an apex predator species.
act accordingly.
post #3 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already There View Post
Add this one to the many who have gone before me. Dinghy outboard stolen off the stern rail of my boat.
Been there had that happen too. Anytime someone else feels it's OK for them to grab somebody else's property it's a personal violation. Esp when the rest of us can't conceive of doing such a thing.

Goes to show that marina security/gate is a tenuous thing. I think most thieves of that sort come and go by water anyway.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

Sorry for your loss. Anything worth over $50 needs to be locked up below and out of sight if possible. These people go into marinas during the day to spot anything worth stealing.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 41 Old 01-12-2016
Captain Obvious

That so sucks. And then some places, especially where there are many unsecured outboards.....nobody takes anything.

What a pain!

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #6 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

As stated above, nothing unusual, especially in south Florida where druggies will steal anything that's not nailed down to support their habit. There was an epidemic of outboard motor, dingy, fishing tackle and generator thefts in Boot Key Harbor the year I was there. The local sheriff's deputy, Willie, finally tracked the culprit down one night while on patrol. When he was arrested, the the thief had a dozen outboards, 15 gensets, 100 fishing rods, at least 50 tackle boxes and a dozen dinghies. Most of that stuff found it's way back to the rightful owners, thanks to Willie. The culprit, was fined, spent six months in jail, and I suspect he's back to his old tricks. Once a druggie - always a druggie!

Good luck,

Gary
post #7 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

I always hate to hear this crap. It just ruins a persons day. I sure hope I never have to deal with this. The marina I bought a slip in last year has locked gates with a fence 6 feet high around it and security cameras all over and mercury vapor lights all over as well. Hopefully all idiots will stay away but one never knows.

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
post #8 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

There are two things that deter thieves - light and noise, especially at night. When I'm cruising, I have an Infrared motion sensor that has a 100-db ear piercing siren that kicks off if someone were to enter the boat's cockpit. No lights, but damned that thing is loud. I purchased it from Radio Shack several boats back, it's held in place with Velcro, and can be positioned so that it only covers the inside of the cockpit and will not inadvertently trip with boat movement. It needs a warm body to fire it off. Fortunately, I've never had it go off in the middle of the night at a secluded anchorage, because no one has tried to board the boat. However, it would not stop someone from cutting the line that tethers your dinghy to the boat and making off with it. That would require another type of alarm, and a Spot GPS Tracing device so you could locate it again.

Good luck,

Gary
post #9 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

I painted an old out board bright pink before going down to Mexico years ago. Other cruisers lost theirs but I faired well. What Macho @[email protected]&^%$ would want to be seen in pink...
post #10 of 41 Old 01-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin' Bare View Post
I painted an old out board bright pink before going down to Mexico years ago. Other cruisers lost theirs but I faired well. What Macho @[email protected]&^%$ would want to be seen in pink...
This is true.. making your gear look less attractive than the next guy's can help reduce your own losses. Still sucks that someone's out there deciding they don't really want your pink Tohatsu...
Dancin' Bare likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in