In praise of production boats! - Page 22 - SailNet Community
 123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 227 Old 02-10-2016

Re: In praise of production boats!

So let's praise production boats.

Just got SAIL. There's a review of the Marlow-Hunter 31. Toe rail/hull deck joint a stainless L. Kevlar in lay up. Long LWL for LOA. Decent hardware. Good look for boat that size with big cockpit.

Is it what I'd choose to cross an ocean. No. A BCC, Orion or Mini might be a better choice.

Would I choose it to race. Probably not would prefer a current thre digit J.

Would I be happy with it as a small coastal. You betcha.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Smack, I don't think there is a rush to join the group. Swan, HR, Grand Soliel don't want to be Hunter. There is no rush by quality builders to be at the bottom.
Okay...

post #213 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
So Goat, How about going into your User Profile and updating your Signature Line? Are you planning on taking your PSC down to Mex?
Done. I think. I'll see once I've posted this.

Mexico is the plan for next year, I've got my finger on the 'notice to employer' trigger. If things go as planned; retirement in 134 days 19 hours and 20 minutes (not that I'm counting), bum around B.C. for a couple months, then work my way down to Gulf of California for the winter. Get me some fish tacos.

goat
smackdaddy likes this.

PSC Orion 27

post #214 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Don, it seems according to the story Out told, the wife of said Hunter owner is embarrassed by their choice of boat? How does your wife feel about this?
My wife loves our Hunter. But of course to a salty internet expert troll like you that is probably a negative.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #215 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
bell ringer

I why wonder why it seems some people can't understand the topic and instead have to play a word game to make up for it.

BTW - I'm pretty sure the reason is they don't want to be left out of the thread and a chance to restate all their past posts in other threads.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #216 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
One thing that really bugs me are those who are “dumping” in this tread but yet too ashamed to put their boat model in their signature line. I’m proud of my piece of Tupperware, but apparently you guys aren’t.
I don't think you are pointing at me George. My boat is no secret. Still my thoughts may be relevant. Maybe. Perhaps I am just rambling. Again. I sail a lot of boats on delivery and so some of my contributions have a much broader application than just my own current or past boats. My signature is also plenty long enough. *grin*

Auspicious is a Hallberg-Rassy 40 #68. I love her dearly and she has been very good to me. She isn't perfect but I made a good choice for me when I was in a position to make that choice.

My opinions, to the extent they have value, have little to do with the boat I chose to purchase. That really isn't important. Experience and learning educate our opinions. THAT is what gives our contributions value. Now facts (with footnotes) are a different thing. Don't get me started on that or we'll be here all night.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #217 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
Mermaid Hunter

I should have pointed out: I would be just as proud of my boat if she were an Allied Chance 30-30 named "Chancey." A moment of silence please for Jon Eisberg in whose absence for whom I attempt to speak.
Faster and joebeach like this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #218 of 227 Old 02-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I should have pointed out: I would be just as proud of my boat if she were an Allied Chance 30-30 named "Chancey." A moment of silence please for Jon Eisberg in whose absence for whom I attempt to speak.
Dave...I don't know you personally and would like to one day. Yes... Pause for Jon E.... He had great inputs all of us can endear to achieve one day... Now that he is gone it seems you are the best to fulfill those shoes and I'm sure he would have thought so... You have been very articulate without dividing anyone and your knowledge seems to be on the same par with Jon. I enjoy your posts and hope to learn from your exhaustive experience and wisdom.
post #219 of 227 Old 02-10-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Yes, Guitarguy, I think you are on to something. There is a continuum of boats from completely production to one-of. Most production boats fall along that continum. Again, I'm reminded of the Santa Cruz Yachts factory. Lots of production assembly, and also lots of attention to individual details. They turn(ed) out great boats. Like many other production boats, not to everyone's taste; but they have their admirers. You'll notice I'm still using a larger definition of production boats. Took it from a dictionary (well OK, Wikipedia). It just seems appropriate. The term BeneJeneBavaHansHunterLinas, just dosen't fit. It's too restrictive. Tha's just opinion, you can use what you want, as shall I. I'm always open to other ideas, but I am more driven by data (like definitions from dictionaries) than anactodtal opinions. But all that is kind of like arguing about the number of angels on a pin. Using either definition, I'm much more interested in discussing boats.

So, I've discussed the Catalina 400 and the Sydney 38 in previous posts. Have any of you sailed on these boats? By the way, do you have praise for the Santa Cruz Yachts. Merlin is sitting at the boatyard here in Santa Cruz, waiting for it's make-over. Ohhh, that's going to be cool.
post #220 of 227 Old 02-10-2016

The first boat I sailed was a hunter.
The first boat I bought was a Coronado (old production boat).
My wife learned on a Hunter.
They were all great experiences.
I want a new HR but I'm gonna make do with something less expensive.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in