What type of Keel do you prefer.... - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 96 Old 01-31-2016

Re: What type of Keel do you prefer....

Sailed a few Schumacher designs and really liked them but have never sailed an Outbound. Looks like fun. Not being familiar with the design save me a bit of Googling. What is the difference of one foot between max an min draft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 01-31-2016

Two sisterships buddy boated to anagada. Was upwind. Both good sailors. Shoal was a small bit latter. Told on passage no real difference as you try not to beat. Still given the chord and design of the keels is the same it seems the only difference is length so not surprising the shoal suffers a wee bit C/W standard upwind. I have the 6.5'.i think most are 6.5. May go home next year by way of the Bahamas. Then it maybe limiting but so far happy camper.
The keel is laid up as part of the hull. Then they bolt half a bulb to either side. Then they do more lay up to encapsulate even that. The bottom of the keel cavity is antimony lead. Then they pour epoxy over that. No keel bolts, impervious bilge. Need long arms to mess with bilge pumps.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #93 of 96 Old 01-31-2016

Ahhh. So a shoal draft design as opposed to some sort of short centerboard. I need to put this wine down as I was thinking it was odd to have a one foot centerboard. LOL

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics

post #94 of 96 Old 02-01-2016

Been thinking about BSs statements about bilge keels. Accept that in some very limited circumstances they make great sense. For instance Brits with a large tidal gradient and shingle bottom. But for most of us think there are much better choices.
Issues are:
If you sailing in areas with mud bottoms bilge keels limit your options. Best time to get free is in the seconds you are running aground. With other keels you can bear off. Back winding the sails or even the sudden turn itself is often sufficient to reduce draft and you are free. Such a turn increases the draft of bilge keel boat as heel increases.
Similarly, once you are aground reducing draft by attaching an anchor to a halyard and setting it a distance athwart ships is not an option for the bilge boat.
Your options to kedge off are also limited. Whereas, with other keel designs you can set the kedge to both reduce draft and pull you to safer waters with two keels it will be hard to pull in any direction other than straight forward or aft.
Then again as you head south were there is little tidal range with the bilge keeler you may be there for quite awhile. One would particularly worry if moon phase is causing decreasing tidal range.
Of course in many places there is a layer of soft, soupy, loose mud of several feet above the true bottom. Places chewed up by frequent anchoring like block or much of the Cheasepeake. Here the suction that causes, particularly if the boat sinks to rest on its canoe body may make it hard to get free.
In short other than areas where there is a firm bottom and good tidal range other keels may offer both better performance and peace of mind. If the intention is the dry out or to gunk hole a true centerboard such as on Hannah2 s Boreal. Not burdened by the weight of steel many Al boats can have excellent avs but still get by internal ballast unlike the situation as in BS boats where it is in the keels. Or to just generally cruise a fin of moderate draft and aspect may be the best choice.
Of course the canting keels or very deep high aspect fins of the racers meet other needs as do the various fixed keel shoal designs.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 02-01-2016 at 09:34 PM.
post #95 of 96 Old 02-05-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Ahhh. So a shoal draft design as opposed to some sort of short centerboard. I need to put this wine down as I was thinking it was odd to have a one foot centerboard. LOL

Lol... Don't put the wine down because I'll pick it up..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 96 Old 02-08-2016

I like any keel that is welded on it can be steel or aluminium im not fussy,keel bolts give me the shivers,old wooden boat moored behind me had its keel drop off,bolts had corroded.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in