What type of Keel do you prefer.... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 96 Old 01-20-2016

Re: What type of Keel do you prefer....

One that is shallower than my next anchorage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 96 Old 01-20-2016

Depends on the kind of sailing I'm doing and where. Currently have and prefer a fin keel, next boat will probably be some type of full or semi full keel. Owned trailerable weighted centerboard boats up to 21', planing centerboard dingies when I was young and wanted to race.
post #13 of 96 Old 01-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
............ I will say ALL have plus and minus's. "It Depends" is probably the correct answer.

Marty
I agree; it really depends.

A low aspect keel operates similarly to an aircraft delta wing and provides lift through spanwise vorticity . They can produce a large amount of lift at very low speeds and at high angles of attack and high loading that would completely stall a higher aspect foil.
A low aspect keel can suit a slower heavier cruising setup allowing it to sail slowly to windward, and with decent lift which can suit a tired or short crew. They donít have the poor stall characteristics (the sudden loss of lift) of a high aspect foil.

However a lot of keel hung rudders with prop apertures were draggy and had poor turning moments since they work by changing the centre of effort of the keel rather than operating as a separate lifting foil. Modern full keel variants are better with a slightly shorter keel and a separate semi balanced rudder well aft.

A high aspect keel is a foil, or wing, and produces lift from foil action which is quite a different operational paradigm. A light fast boat benefits significantly from the reduced wetted surface area and can usually be kept moving well enough for the keel to develop lift. But they do stall more easily and stall abruptly losing most of their lift at stall.
Brent Swain likes this.

post #14 of 96 Old 01-20-2016

The best keel is the one that is paid for.
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 96 Old 01-20-2016

two are good for me

20 foot tides where I sail

so a boat that does not fall over when the tide goes away is a marvelous thing to have

and you twin keel knockers who have never sailed with them

it is all down to the way you waggle the tiller

D

post #16 of 96 Old 01-20-2016

Location: On my boat, currently moving around the east coast US

I bought a shoal draft boat to live aboard as I wanted access to more gunkholes. I suffer some in upwind performance, but then everything in boating seems to be a trade-off.
Brent Swain likes this.

Jeff
Cruising on my CS36T
post #17 of 96 Old 01-20-2016
Anarchist in Exile

A deep, high aspect lifting keel. A large part of the popularity of modern lifting keels is that is gives all those 'deep keel' benefits, with the ability to take the boat into shallow/tidal areas. The keel on the Pogo 12.50 gives almost 12 feet of draft for enormous stability, but comes up at the press of a button to 3 feet. In addition, the mechanism has a hydraulic fuse that opens and protects the boat in the event of a very hard grounding; one that would almost certainly cause structural damage to a fixed keel.

Our smaller boat the First 260 has almost the same keel, just with a manual lifting screw in place of the fancy hydraulics.

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse.
post #18 of 96 Old 01-21-2016

I don't think the question was "What is the best keel?" but rather, "What do you like about YOUR keel?".

Our Lancer 25 has a shoal keel and draws 30". The keel is long, about 8-10 feet, and 21" wide, kind of looks like a submarine conning tower. It's that wide because you stand in it inside. The setup gives us about 5'10 headroom for much of the cabin. The drawback is performance, as you can well surmise. But we go places that sailboats have no business going. Plus, we can launch in 3' of water. It "aint easy", but we can do it. With our 10' tides, I'm less likely to go keel deep in the flats than others, so I can gunkhole in some private spots. I've sailed into places with people waving me off. I smile and wave back as I pass though 3 foot areas. I would love to have a boat with better sailing characteristics but I gotta tell you, the access is nice too.
bobperry and Brent Swain like this.
post #19 of 96 Old 01-21-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
I don't think the question was "What is the best keel?" but rather, "What do you like about YOUR keel?".
If that is the case... then hard to beat my lifting weighted daggerboard for trailering, or gunk-holing.. Boat literally can float in 18 inches of water (board up), and it's a self-righting boat, even board up...

Downside? If I run aground board down, I might very well, destroy the dagger trunk, or worse, compromise the hull.

We have a very stone-laden bottom lake that is nicely average depth of about 24 feet. The edges drop off nicely mostly around the lake, but there are a few places that one must not sail. I've been lucky - so far.

Prior to the present boat, I had a deep fixed fin keel. Prior to that I had a fixed wing keel.

Loved how the fin sailed (probably best of the bunch), horrible to trailer launch.

Loved the wing keel to launch, terrible point out of it though (boat sailed sideways until it got up to speed.

So among the 3, I'd say the lifting weighted dagger is the best compromise.

L

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #20 of 96 Old 01-21-2016

I like my own keel (don't most of us?) that allows sailing close to the wind when it's all the way down, but then can be tucked completely away when necessary to float in less than 2' of water. I still have 6'3" headroom under the coachroof on my 35 footer. Here's a couple of views with keel down, keel up, and a close shot of the keel housed.

These photos were taken last season after the first layer of barrier coat was applied. BTW, the rudder also swings up, but happens to be down here.
Attached Thumbnails
150603-1652.1.jpg   150603-1758.1.jpg   150603-1759.jpg  
smj likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in