What type of Keel do you prefer.... - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 96 Old 01-24-2016
grumpy old man

Re: What type of Keel do you prefer....

I really like the swing keels like the new Pogo's have. They give you span, aspect ratio, low VCG and shoal draft all at once. Hard to beat that.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I really like the swing keels like the new Pogo's have. They give you span, aspect ratio, low VCG and shoal draft all at once. Hard to beat that.
Agreed.

Bob, do you know if the Pogo swing keel boats are designed to be able to dry out (beach, careen) with the keel in the retracted position?

Steve
post #53 of 96 Old 01-24-2016
grumpy old man

Pano:
I don't know but given that the entire keel when retracted is still exposed I would doubt it. You would have to go to the Pogo sight and see what they promote. Maybe if the conditions were really benign it would work.

Bob's Blog ....

post #54 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Cutty is a standard. Ironically, that is a Jeanneau 54 in your pic, but not us. It has to be one of the bareboat fleet out of Newport, because it's often right there. I suspect it's a private mooring, because the LOA is too long for the town field. Still, I've driven through the mooring field before, without trouble.

That little anchorage you've mentioned is interesting. Personally, I don't think I could sleep on anchor there,even if our draft allowed. As you note, the holding is so-so. We have a buddy that loves anchoring there. My biggest concern would be everyone anchored around me, swinging on different scopes a chain v rope, etc. I drop the hook outside everytime and only go with southerly winds.

Attachment 64458
The Town mooring in the photo is at the NW corner of the mooring field. The boat was from Newport and looked like a bareboat charter. The skipper apparently was trying to circle around and pick up this mooring, which appeared to be the last one available at that time.

Cuttyhunk is also one of our favorites. We try to pick up a rental piling just to the west in the photo and prefer the northerly row, which has about 4' at MLW. However, the pilings have been increasingly converted to private use, making it harder pick up a piling. We were on a Town mooring when I took that photo.

When a mooring is not available, my shallow draft comes in handy. We have anchored in 3-4' MLW to the north of the mooring field, where the floatplane "runway" used to be. As you implied, it isn't the best holding ground, but with our shallow draft, we don't have any near neighbor's to worry about. Our fallback position is to anchor outside, but we haven't had to do that yet. Besides it isn't convenient for lobster call at 5:10 PM.

The one and only time we've been towed in the 20 years we've owned our current Clearwater 35 we were on our way to Cuttyhunk. Unbeknowst to us, the New York Yacht Club got there first and when the SeaTow operator told me the big guys had taken over the outer anchorage and there were no moorings or slips in the inner harbor for a sailboat, I suggested he tow me into a shallow water area inside and I would "retract my landing gear". He then checked with the Harbormaster and got me a shallow water slip (3' MLW), which was very convenient for sorting out a motor problem the following morning.
post #55 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Pano:
I don't know but given that the entire keel when retracted is still exposed I would doubt it. You would have to go to the Pogo sight and see what they promote. Maybe if the conditions were really benign it would work.
Bob, This article came up when I searched Pogo 30 beaching: New boat: Pogo 30

"Southern France is known for its sunny beaches, and the yacht designers at Finot-Conq must have had those destinations in mind when they designed the beachable Pogo 30. The 30-footer, a fractionally rigged racer-cruiser built by Chantier Naval Structures, has an optional hydraulically operated keel, an 8-foot ballasted fin that rotates back under the boat in shallow water giving the boat a 3-foot shoal draft. Cruisers can sail to a beach, raise the keel, and then "park" on optional aluminum beaching legs."

I guess the legs are necessary to keep the rudders clear of the bottom.

Steve

Last edited by Panope; 01-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #56 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

That looks like a submarine, not a boat. But sure is fancy.
seabeau likes this.
post #57 of 96 Old 01-24-2016
grumpy old man

Very nice boat if you like that style. I could live with it for a while.

Bob's Blog ....

post #58 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

hmmmm 25' to tack in.......

I'm usually 8-10', but like all things great and small "IT DEPENDS" upon where in the salish sea I am. Some places 25' is a good thing to tack, as a boat length later it will be 20, 15, 10 an 5' in 4 boat lengths.......as you hit a sand bar, rock called blakely or some other equal. Other places is can be 10-12' for a mile or so............

Mr Perry,

Did ALL them boats have a 6'3" draft?

Did not think so! LOLOL

This is a day for record books, I out did Mr Perry.........will have to start losing streak all over again tomorrow tho.....

Dang it. Will blame that fuzzy wombat character for this.......

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #59 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Bob, This article came up when I searched Pogo 30 beaching: New boat: Pogo 30

"Southern France is known for its sunny beaches, and the yacht designers at Finot-Conq must have had those destinations in mind when they designed the beachable Pogo 30. The 30-footer, a fractionally rigged racer-cruiser built by Chantier Naval Structures, has an optional hydraulically operated keel, an 8-foot ballasted fin that rotates back under the boat in shallow water giving the boat a 3-foot shoal draft. Cruisers can sail to a beach, raise the keel, and then "park" on optional aluminum beaching legs."

I guess the legs are necessary to keep the rudders clear of the bottom.

Steve
While the writer may be correct about the beaching legs, they are not likely to be very useful in the south of France. Tidal range in Nice is at most about one foot. Beaches in the south of France also tend to be rocky, not sandy. Planting a support in the small, smooth stones would be very tricky. The coast on the English Channel is where French skippers aim to use their "béquilles"-(literally "crutches") to hold their centerboarders upright. There's plenty of tide and lots of wide sandy beaches. (That's why D-Day was there.) The crowded harbors can also make finding a quiet beach quite attractive.
post #60 of 96 Old 01-24-2016
grumpy old man

No Marty, put down the bottle. I never said all of the boats had 6'3" draft. Your losing streak continues. Sorry.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in