What type of Keel do you prefer.... - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

Re: What type of Keel do you prefer....

Like too anchor outside channel at Cuttyhunk . Good spot directly across from entrance with plenty of water and buzzard bay chop doesn't get in there. Dinghy over to Cuttyhunk Fishing club on the other side or walk over the hill and feel like a president. Lots of keeper strippers there and a lefty deciever works great there. Use my Spey rod to get to third wave. Never disappoints.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 01-24-2016

What type of Keel do you prefer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Like too anchor outside channel at Cuttyhunk . Good spot directly across from entrance with plenty of water and buzzard bay chop doesn't get in there. Dinghy over to Cuttyhunk Fishing club on the other side or walk over the hill and feel like a president. Lots of keeper strippers there and a lefty deciever works great there. Use my Spey rod to get to third wave. Never disappoints.

I do remember the anchorage outside the harbor. Well protected from the sou'westerly and a short dinghy ride inside. Inside always seemed too claustrophobic to me. When things go bad in there it gets real ugly real quick.

Lyme disease is rampant there. Take precautions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #63 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Cutty Hunk Claustrophobic!
Attached Thumbnails
My-cutty-hunk.jpg  

post #64 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Great shot rock. When was it? We only go to the Elizabethans and Block mid week. Best is after school starts.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #65 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

I guess we're on a bit of thread drift, but Cutty is a good popular destination where draft will limit your options. Even the closest moorings to shore in the outer harbor, are pretty snug with anything over 6ft. The town moorings in the inner harbor are LOA limited and the other options inside are draft limited.

As for claustrophobia, I completely agree with the inner mooring field being was too up close and personal. Depending on your neighbors, that can be great or awful. It must be the most popular overnight stop along the entire New England coastline. You get all kinds. I'll avoid the stereotyping, but they are pretty clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #66 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Really like the set up Hannah2 has on his Boreal. Centerboard and two daggerboards way aft. Like the idea of dropping a daggerboard when running and surfing. Now need to change the sensitivity on the AP when doing that so use more juice. If big ones feel safer hand steering. Would think with that set up and daggerboard all the way down and centerboard all the way up even a wind vane would have no trouble.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #67 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
Cutty Hunk Claustrophobic!
That is funny! Only saw it like that once bringing a boat from Marblehead to Newport in October I think.
post #68 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
That is funny! Only saw it like that once bringing a boat from Marblehead to Newport in October I think.
Cutty is a ghost town pre-Jul 4 and post Labor Day.

This past season, they didn't even have the outer moorings installed until mid-Jul. It seems to get later every year. Don't know why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #69 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I guess we're on a bit of thread drift, but Cutty is a good popular destination where draft will limit your options. Even the closest moorings to shore in the outer harbor, are pretty snug with anything over 6ft. The town moorings in the inner harbor are LOA limited and the other options inside are draft limited.

As for claustrophobia, I completely agree with the inner mooring field being was too up close and personal. Depending on your neighbors, that can be great or awful. It must be the most popular overnight stop along the entire New England coastline. You get all kinds. I'll avoid the stereotyping, but they are pretty clear.
Draft and Cuttyhunk, perhaps isn't that much of a thread drift. Most places on the coast, draft matters little. A few decades ago, we cruised the Bahamas with 4' draft with friends in a boat, with 6' draft.

We had a great time in many harbors together. Then there were times when we went off on our own route, often sailing through the shallow but vast banks to secluded anchorages and beaches.

In the end, we both had a great time. We just saw a different Bahamas.

In Cuttyhunk, I can attest to the claustrophobic feeling in the mooring field. That could be great, at times.

The anchorage in the pond we use with our 4' draft is a different world. Of many days and nights spent on the hook - like this shot looking back at the mooring field - we felt we had the pond to ourselves.

Last time we were there, we had our daughter and her room mate (from college; both recently graduated) spend several days anchored in the pond. We explored the island in the cooler hours of the day and spent the hot mid day, swimming, dinghy sailing and paddle boarding and exploring the pond and beaches.

This shot was taken out in the anchorage as the sun sets(look closely you can see another shoal draft boat anchored to windward- rare).

The Cuttyhunk Raw Bar boat delivers to shoal draft boats. We ordered a few dozen Cuttyhunk Oysters while we were there. My daughter and I love oysters(she's in the Maine flannel). The Cuttyhunk's are some the best we've tasted! And they had fresh scallops that were cooked up.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #70 of 96 Old 01-25-2016

Tom on your way down check out duxbury. Bottom is mud. Oysters and clams with no grit ever. Area has no industry so water clean. Other then pnw best shell fish on east coast imho.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in