SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Easier beach retrieval? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/241025-easier-beach-retrieval.html)

domromer 02-02-2016 11:46 AM

Easier beach retrieval?
 
I launch my O'Day daysailer off the beach at the Dunedin Causeway. Getting it off the trailer is no issue, but getting it back on at low tide can be a real pain. I back in just far enough that my exhaust is out of the water. But sometimes that still leaves quite a lift to get the boat onto the first roller then onto the bunks. I've got 12" wheels now and I was thinking of ordering a set of 8" wheels. Other than that, any tips or techniques for getting the boat back on the trailer at low tide?


domromer


https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1687/...97a16f43_c.jpgSailing our new Day Sailer off Dunedin Causeway, FL - Sunday 01.24.16 by Dom, on Flickr

Erindipity 02-02-2016 12:01 PM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
Have you considered a Tongue Extender?
Do It Yourself Boat Trailer Tongue Extension - How to Make Your Own Trailer Extension

Summary ~$120 in parts, and an hour to fabricate. (Used for launching, not for towing!)

¬Erindipity

sharkbait 02-02-2016 06:15 PM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 

krisscross 02-02-2016 09:10 PM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
I second the winch and a good set of rollers on the trailer. It is very easy to winch even a heavy boat back on the trailer with a small hand crank winch. And a lot cheaper than modifying your axle to take smaller wheels.

Erindipity 02-03-2016 01:20 AM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
Um, about Winches, Cables and such...

I'm assuming that the Trailer for this particular Boat is a simple lightweight single Axle affair. Which means that the Hitch can take on any Altitude or Pitch depending on the Distribution of Load.
Which means that there are any number of circumstances where the Hitch is Mud Stuck. Backing up with a simple Cable affair achieves nothing in said mud; pulling forward means that whatever it is that is tentatively Bedded can just slide off again, if the Hitch quickly rises.

This is the _point_ of a rigid Trailer Tongue Extender. It maintains the Trailer Hitches in vertically stable states throughout the desired working ranges, and it allows predictable Loading.

Hell, for this application, a cleverly carved Pine 2X4 Stud, and some Aero-seal Clamps, would work.

¬Erindipity

caberg 02-03-2016 08:45 AM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erindipity (Post 3313249)
I'm assuming that the Trailer for this particular Boat is a simple lightweight single Axle affair. Which means that the Hitch can take on any Altitude or Pitch depending on the Distribution of Load.

Every trailer I've ever used, including simple lightweight single Axle affairs, has a hitch that locks onto the ball so that it will not tip up (I assume that's what you mean by altitude or pitch) as the boat is winched onto the trailer.

I also think a cable and winch is the way to go, and you can see a bow eye on the picture in the op. Assuming you don't mind dragging the boat across the mud/sand with the cable and winch, that seems by far the easiest solution than any other trailer mods.

Erindipity 02-03-2016 09:13 AM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 3313505)
Every trailer I've ever used, including simple lightweight single Axle affairs, has a hitch that locks onto the ball so that it will not tip up (I assume that's what you mean by altitude or pitch) as the boat is winched onto the trailer.

I also think a cable and winch is the way to go, and you can see a bow eye on the picture in the op. Assuming you don't mind dragging the boat across the mud/sand with the cable and winch, that seems by far the easiest solution than any other trailer mods.

You are missing the point. He wants to back the trailer down at low tide without mudding his tow vehicle.
We aren't discussing loading the boat onto the trailer; we are discussing how to get the trailer in position so that this can then be accomplished, winches or not.
The OP is thinking smaller wheels, I'm thinking a tongue extension.

¬Erindipity

caberg 02-03-2016 11:05 AM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erindipity (Post 3313561)
You are missing the point. He wants to back the trailer down at low tide without mudding his tow vehicle.
We aren't discussing loading the boat onto the trailer; we are discussing how to get the trailer in position so that this can then be accomplished, winches or not.
The OP is thinking smaller wheels, I'm thinking a tongue extension.

¬Erindipity

Maybe the OP needs to clarify, or maybe I need a reading comprehension lesson. To me it sounds like he's backing his trailer down as far as he can while it is still attached to the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by domromer (Post 3311865)
I back in just far enough that my exhaust is out of the water.

The smaller trailer wheels would be, I assume, so that the trailer sits lower in the water. I don't see where the OP says he is concerned with "mudding his tow vehicle."

albrazzi 02-03-2016 11:13 AM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
How about the big wheels used on Catamarans and a long cable. The (Dried out) area of some beaches can be considerable, we're not talking just another 20 or 30 feet here. You may need to pull 100.

Erindipity 02-03-2016 11:47 AM

Re: Easier beach retrieval?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 3313825)
Maybe the OP needs to clarify, or maybe I need a reading comprehension lesson. To me it sounds like he's backing his trailer down as far as he can while it is still attached to the vehicle.

Correct. The "Still attached to the Vehicle" part is pertinent, both for positioning, and retrieval.



Quote:

The smaller trailer wheels would be, I assume, so that the trailer sits lower in the water. I don't see where the OP says he is concerned with "mudding his tow vehicle."
"Sanding" his tow vehicle would be confusing, but accurate. He wants his vehicle far enough out of the water to prevent getting stuck, or for preventing exposing the hot exhaust to water, and he wants the trailer low enough for loading. In sand, smaller tires may be at a disadvantage, due to the tendency to dig in. This is a "Beach Retrieval" subject after all. As albrazzi mentioned, bigger wheels are a trend.
Controlling the height of the Hitch is important, so that it doesn't dig into the sand as the boat is loaded. The Link that I provided is just one solution.
There are others.

¬Erindipity


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome