Easier beach retrieval? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-2016 Thread Starter

Easier beach retrieval?

I launch my O'Day daysailer off the beach at the Dunedin Causeway. Getting it off the trailer is no issue, but getting it back on at low tide can be a real pain. I back in just far enough that my exhaust is out of the water. But sometimes that still leaves quite a lift to get the boat onto the first roller then onto the bunks. I've got 12" wheels now and I was thinking of ordering a set of 8" wheels. Other than that, any tips or techniques for getting the boat back on the trailer at low tide?

domromer

Sailing our new Day Sailer off Dunedin Causeway, FL - Sunday 01.24.16 by Dom, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2016
Beyond The Pale

Re: Easier beach retrieval?

Have you considered a Tongue Extender?
Do It Yourself Boat Trailer Tongue Extension - How to Make Your Own Trailer Extension

Summary ~$120 in parts, and an hour to fabricate. (Used for launching, not for towing!)

ČErindipity
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2016
Boat Bum

Bow-eye and a cable winch.
https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...6mDn8Q_AUIBygB

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-02-2016 at 06:18 PM.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-02-2016

I second the winch and a good set of rollers on the trailer. It is very easy to winch even a heavy boat back on the trailer with a small hand crank winch. And a lot cheaper than modifying your axle to take smaller wheels.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 12 Old 02-03-2016
Beyond The Pale

Um, about Winches, Cables and such...

I'm assuming that the Trailer for this particular Boat is a simple lightweight single Axle affair. Which means that the Hitch can take on any Altitude or Pitch depending on the Distribution of Load.
Which means that there are any number of circumstances where the Hitch is Mud Stuck. Backing up with a simple Cable affair achieves nothing in said mud; pulling forward means that whatever it is that is tentatively Bedded can just slide off again, if the Hitch quickly rises.

This is the _point_ of a rigid Trailer Tongue Extender. It maintains the Trailer Hitches in vertically stable states throughout the desired working ranges, and it allows predictable Loading.

Hell, for this application, a cleverly carved Pine 2X4 Stud, and some Aero-seal Clamps, would work.

ČErindipity
post #6 of 12 Old 02-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
I'm assuming that the Trailer for this particular Boat is a simple lightweight single Axle affair. Which means that the Hitch can take on any Altitude or Pitch depending on the Distribution of Load.
Every trailer I've ever used, including simple lightweight single Axle affairs, has a hitch that locks onto the ball so that it will not tip up (I assume that's what you mean by altitude or pitch) as the boat is winched onto the trailer.

I also think a cable and winch is the way to go, and you can see a bow eye on the picture in the op. Assuming you don't mind dragging the boat across the mud/sand with the cable and winch, that seems by far the easiest solution than any other trailer mods.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-03-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Every trailer I've ever used, including simple lightweight single Axle affairs, has a hitch that locks onto the ball so that it will not tip up (I assume that's what you mean by altitude or pitch) as the boat is winched onto the trailer.

I also think a cable and winch is the way to go, and you can see a bow eye on the picture in the op. Assuming you don't mind dragging the boat across the mud/sand with the cable and winch, that seems by far the easiest solution than any other trailer mods.
You are missing the point. He wants to back the trailer down at low tide without mudding his tow vehicle.
We aren't discussing loading the boat onto the trailer; we are discussing how to get the trailer in position so that this can then be accomplished, winches or not.
The OP is thinking smaller wheels, I'm thinking a tongue extension.

ČErindipity
post #8 of 12 Old 02-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
You are missing the point. He wants to back the trailer down at low tide without mudding his tow vehicle.
We aren't discussing loading the boat onto the trailer; we are discussing how to get the trailer in position so that this can then be accomplished, winches or not.
The OP is thinking smaller wheels, I'm thinking a tongue extension.

ČErindipity
Maybe the OP needs to clarify, or maybe I need a reading comprehension lesson. To me it sounds like he's backing his trailer down as far as he can while it is still attached to the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I back in just far enough that my exhaust is out of the water.
The smaller trailer wheels would be, I assume, so that the trailer sits lower in the water. I don't see where the OP says he is concerned with "mudding his tow vehicle."
post #9 of 12 Old 02-03-2016
al brazzi

How about the big wheels used on Catamarans and a long cable. The (Dried out) area of some beaches can be considerable, we're not talking just another 20 or 30 feet here. You may need to pull 100.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-03-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Maybe the OP needs to clarify, or maybe I need a reading comprehension lesson. To me it sounds like he's backing his trailer down as far as he can while it is still attached to the vehicle.
Correct. The "Still attached to the Vehicle" part is pertinent, both for positioning, and retrieval.

Quote:
The smaller trailer wheels would be, I assume, so that the trailer sits lower in the water. I don't see where the OP says he is concerned with "mudding his tow vehicle."
"Sanding" his tow vehicle would be confusing, but accurate. He wants his vehicle far enough out of the water to prevent getting stuck, or for preventing exposing the hot exhaust to water, and he wants the trailer low enough for loading. In sand, smaller tires may be at a disadvantage, due to the tendency to dig in. This is a "Beach Retrieval" subject after all. As albrazzi mentioned, bigger wheels are a trend.
Controlling the height of the Hitch is important, so that it doesn't dig into the sand as the boat is loaded. The Link that I provided is just one solution.
There are others.

ČErindipity

Tags
beach launch , daysailer , dinghy , trailer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in