SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/241489-whats-furthest-youve-sailed-smallest-boat.html)

mbianka 02-06-2016 10:21 AM

Re: What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

Sailed my 24 foot Bristol from Long Island out to Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket and all around Narragansett Bay. Even stopped off at Bristol Rhode Island to pick up a part at the factory. Sailed it to New York and Sandy Hook several times when going west.

FSMike 02-06-2016 10:25 AM

I wandered from St. Simons Is., Ga. through the keys to Tarpon Springs, Fl. in my 26' double ended gaff rigger. That was primarily harbor hopping, longest trip I recall was probably Marathon to Ft. Myers. Fun days.

mbianka 02-06-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3319969)
Robert Manry crossed the Atlantic in a 13ft boat in the mid-1960s.

In the end, I'm not sure these anecdotes translate to anyone else. One's success on any passage is influenced by a combination of one's specific boat and her condition, the skipper, the crew, the weather and luck.

Got a copy of his book Tinkerbelle on my boats bookshelf. Great read about a man and his dream. Unfortunately, his life was cut short but, he did get to fulfill his dream.

Dancin' Bare 02-06-2016 11:17 AM

A Laser from Catalina to Newport Harborů. Michael Man sailed a Montgomery 15 from Newport to Hawaii in 1977ish

TQA 02-06-2016 11:18 AM

Jaguar 22 which is the UK version of a Catalina 22. She started me off in this cruising thing.

One summer did Troon to Stornoway and back rounding the Mull of Kintyre on the way out and transiting the Crinan canal on the return.

Next summer I trailed it down to the Adriatic and did Pula down to Albania and back.

dylanwinter1 02-06-2016 12:35 PM

ScottUK 02-06-2016 12:41 PM

My wife and I once did a 4 month cruise in NZ on a 26'er. The longest non-stop passage was about 120nm. We now have a CC with an aft cabin - much nicer!!

dylanwinter1 02-06-2016 12:50 PM

Re: In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMaine (Post 3320073)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1626/...b9ab1fe8_b.jpg

... Cuttyhunk Pond. :) We've sailed many, many, harbors on the NE coast in this boat. In fact, in two small sailboats(under 10'), we've sailed hundreds of miles, many of those miles with 4 of us onboard.

But to your question, so far, we've sailed a Cape Dory 28 the farthest from our home waters. In our case, distance sailed from home - so far - had more to with our age at the time, than the boat.

These days I'm more engaged in the quality of the miles we sail, than the quantity.

I plan on doing some miles in my sailing tender with no centre plate or rudder

just the steering oar

TomMaine 02-06-2016 01:36 PM

Re: In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 (Post 3320385)
I plan on doing some miles in my sailing tender with no centre plate or rudder

just the steering oar

Sailing tender - no rudder - no centre plate - - YouTube

How do you hold your glass of wine, Dylan?

sharkbait 02-06-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 3320057)
hay sharkbait did i meet you or was this before i got here???? i knew a fella in a ericson 27 in la cruz... he did a packing box of my rudder in exchange for some chain he needed... was that you???

A gentleman never tells, a lady never asks