SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/241489-whats-furthest-youve-sailed-smallest-boat.html)

solarfry 02-06-2016 02:14 PM

Re: What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

Took a 16' Rebel sailboat to Catalina - Avalon and around other side to camp at little harbor. The ranger wanted us to leave as the place was empty. We ignored him and stayed two days the four of us. The girls liked the campground so ew went over regularly. Invited ranger to steaks and beer..

SaltyMonkey 02-06-2016 02:32 PM

Furthest? What the hell does that mean? If you sailed around the world back to your original position, the furthest distance you sayled IS ZERO.

Get your english right. You mean the LONGEST distance.

Curious Sailor 02-06-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkbait (Post 3319993)
Took an Ericson 27 from SF Bay to Barra Navidad and back. I'm on the East coast now and commute between the Carolinas and the Bahamas in a Cal 29.
The only problem I see with a 21' foot boat is that you have no place to store beer.

Lol... I'm going to install custom beer coolers... :svoilier:

dylanwinter1 02-06-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkbait (Post 3320449)
A gentleman never tells, a lady never asks

hip flask

dylanwinter1 02-06-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey (Post 3320513)
Furthest? What the hell does that mean? If you sailed around the world back to your original position, the furthest distance you sayled IS ZERO.

Get your english right. You mean the LONGEST distance.

as my mother used to say......

"we are not at home to Mr Picky"

D

kenr74 02-06-2016 11:01 PM

We sailed roughly 200 miles around Lake Huron's North Channel with my family of 6 in my previous MacGregor 22. That was before I got my "big" boat, a Chrysler 26.

drakeParagon 02-07-2016 12:56 AM

Is a Westsail 32 small enough? I single handed mine from Marsh Harbor, Bahamas direct to Newport, Rhode Island in 8 days.

dylanwinter1 02-07-2016 04:11 AM

It is strange what people consider to be a small boat

I recently resigned my column at small craft advisor because I now have a 26 footer

which in my mind is a large boat - until I take it to a Solent Marina where it is dwarfed by the 45 foot twin wheel scoop sterned cheese wedges in their serried ranks.

D

Capt Len 02-07-2016 05:28 AM

My first construction,SV Half Safe ,a gaff sloop rigged scow.over all length 5'8" beam 2.5 ' Sailed in near gale force winds to East Sooke (less than mile) AS if I had any choice in direction.

TomMaine 02-07-2016 08:10 AM

Re: In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 (Post 3320385)
I plan on doing some miles in my sailing tender with no centre plate or rudder

just the steering oar

Sailing tender - no rudder - no centre plate - - YouTube

I've watched your simple sailing conversion to your tender. You get huge credit for getting it sailing without the hassle(that stops most conversions) of adding a rudder, mast step and most of all, a daggerboard slot and box.

That's a small tender to start with - about 8' - because(as you've explained), you need to car top it easily. I watched the video with that in mind.

This is the first I watched the video(which is fantastic, as all your video work is - top notch) to see how your conversion performs.

Ok, I'm impressed with how she sails. I still would like to see how it goes with a daggerboard and rudder. And for trim, I'd like to see it without the outboard sinking the stern.

Does this experiment make you think you might pick up a larger tender that would fit the two of you and the dog for more sailing off the big boat?

Thank you for the video.