What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 02-07-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

sharkbait--if it WAS you, i am deeply appreciative of th e assistance that was rendered. if not-- whoot.. sailing an ericson 27 in open ocean musta been a gas.
they sail well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

Re: In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I've watched your simple sailing conversion to your tender. You get huge credit for getting it sailing without the hassle(that stops most conversions) of adding a rudder, mast step and most of all, a daggerboard slot and box.

That's a small tender to start with - about 8' - because(as you've explained), you need to car top it easily. I watched the video with that in mind.

This is the first I watched the video(which is fantastic, as all your video work is - top notch) to see how your conversion performs.

Ok, I'm impressed with how she sails. I still would like to see how it goes with a daggerboard and rudder. And for trim, I'd like to see it without the outboard sinking the stern.

Does this experiment make you think you might pick up a larger tender that would fit the two of you and the dog for more sailing off the big boat?

Thank you for the video.

I bought the tender because I wanted a tender for Jill to row - she loves rowing and there is not much pleasure to be had from rowing a flubber.

When moving to and from the boat heavily laden then the outboard allows us to load more stuff

Plenty of room for three and the dog.

For rowing delight the tender needs to be as empty and light as possible - hence the removable mast step/false deck. everything comes out and is designed to go into the back of the Polo

Under sailing mode she will either be sailing with just me - in which case I will either leave the engine behind or put it on the floor of the boat.

I was prepared to fit a centre plate but see no reason now to put a centre plate in. By using the oar as a sort of steering leeboard she is quite close winded -= I was amazed and having the clear floor space makes it really comfortable when sitting on the bottom of the hull.

A rudder is not needed provided I am prepared top put in a couple of strokes with the paddle to get the bow through the wind

sailiong it just like a duck punt.

I am really, really happy with the way is sails, The dinghy is clinker which helps a bit, she has a deep forefoot and that long skeg.

the only downside is that the little wine glass stern has bugger all reserves of bouyancy so the engine on the transom has a bad effect on balance and when under engine I need to sit well forward.

Incidentally that was the engine the scrotes nicked

fekkers

solarfry, TomMaine and Garbone like this.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 02-07-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #33 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

Sailed my old Catalina 27 from Perryville, MD to Cape Charles, VA and back, round trip about 500 miles as the crow flies, probably closer to 700 with all the tacking I did. Neat trip, had some rough weather near the mouth of the Patuxent River and holed up in a creek for three days waiting for better weather.

Cheers,

Gary

post #34 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

Roger Taylor has single handedly sailed his simple 21 foot junk rigged sailboat Mingming for many thousands of miles, and months at sea at a time..

He sailed from the UK to many destinations and back ***without even stopping!!!*** -> Greenland, Jan Mayen, Iceland, Rockall, the Faroes, Svabard...

post #35 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
Roger Taylor has single handedly sailed his simple 21 foot junk rigged sailboat Mingming for many thousands of miles, and months at sea at a time..

He sailed from the UK to many destinations and back ***without even stopping!!!*** -> Greenland, Jan Mayen, Iceland, Rockall, the Faroes, Svabard...

Go Small. Go Simple. Go Now. - YouTube

I don't understand Roger and his motivations. When I sail I love to be as close to the coast as possible - not for safety because as any fule sailor knows it is shore where the hazards are. But I am fascinated by the join between land and ocean. For me that is where it all happens - the wildlife, the history, the geography. It is a very full canvas.

Roger seeks a blank canvas - it is a sort of Zen I suppose.

For me the inspiration who showed that you could sail a partially prepared small boat to almost anywhere you choose to take her

is

this man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Acton

oysterman23 likes this.

post #36 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
I am fascinated by the join between land and ocean. For me that is where it all happens - the wildlife, the history, the geography. It is a very full canvas.
I miss inshore/coastal/day sailing so much! For the past few years most of our sailing has been offshore, all just focused on getting to the next country to plant ourselves down in a new port to stay for months at a time. For this upcoming Summer I'm planning to take a long hiatus from video editing (months in 1 port) and instead hope to spend most of my time sailing Paragon to every port that exists in the Faroes. And then in each port I want to sail our 9 foot sailing dinghy Wanda to explore the surrounding areas.

Quote:
For me the inspiration who showed that you could sail a partially prepared small boat to almost anywhere you choose to take her
is this man https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Acton
Thanks Dylan! I have never even heard of Shane Acton. What an adventure they had! So many incredible ports... His is another book that I MUST read. I am truly humbled by these voyagers.

Round-the-world Yachtsman Shane Acton And His Girlfriend Iris Derungs Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Pic. 32978491
post #37 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

You seem unable to read the restriction small boat. I know few people that go round world in an 8' to 10' boat. The op question is understood well by all other posters. If you sail aroun the world your "furthest" is the total miles traveled. Close to circumference of planet. Read it again slowly.

I hope I have added value to this thread.
post #38 of 47 Old 02-07-2016
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Furthest? What the hell does that mean? If you sailed around the world back to your original position, the furthest distance you sayled IS ZERO.

Get your english right. You mean the LONGEST distance.
When indulging in spelling & grammar Nazism it behooves one to check ones own spelling.
sharkbait, willyd and newt like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #39 of 47 Old 02-07-2016
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post

Yeah, but he's nuts.
drakeParagon likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #40 of 47 Old 02-07-2016

Quote:
I don't understand Roger and his motivations. When I sail I love to be as close to the coast as possible - not for safety because as any fule sailor knows it is shore where the hazards are. But I am fascinated by the join between land and ocean. For me that is where it all happens - the wildlife, the history, the geography. It is a very full canvas.

Roger seeks a blank canvas - it is a sort of Zen I suppose.

is

this man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Acton
Totally agree... sailing along the coasts where one can admire the beauty of the shores, coves, cliffs, beaches, etc. are what we enjoy...
Many mansions and old historical homes span the coasts here along in Georgia with great sailing to many small islands towards the Hilton Head, SC vicinity and south towards St. Simon's offer up some nice contrast. Small boat or otherwise it's not the longest but the quality of where you sail. _/)
oysterman23 likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-07-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in