What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 02-07-2016
Senior Moment Member

Re: What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
It is strange what people consider to be a small boat

I recently resigned my column at small craft advisor because I now have a 26 footer

which in my mind is a large boat - until I take it to a Solent Marina where it is dwarfed by the 30 foot twin wheel scoop sterned cheese wedges in their serried ranks.

D
I've always regarded 20' as the dividing line between "small" and "big" boats - probably due to the need to keep the big ones in the water for the most part.

As for "How far", Webb Chiles sailed most of the way around the world in an open 18' Drascombe Lugger. When that was happening I remember thinking that proved there was no lower limit on the boat, only on the skipper.
Andrew65 and oysterman23 like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 02-08-2016

Here’s to the crazy ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Yeah, but he's nuts.
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
post #43 of 47 Old 02-09-2016

Circumnavigated Manhattan on a Sunfish a dozen years ago. One very long day on a very little boat. Got stopped by the harbor police as we sailed by the United Nations who wanted to know what the hell we were doing out there....
ottos likes this.

Matthew
1985 Catalina 36 ¡Que Chévere!

post #44 of 47 Old 02-10-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
When indulging in spelling & grammar Nazism it behooves one to check ones own spelling.
But his point was semantic, not orthographic or grammatical.
SloopJonB likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #45 of 47 Old 02-16-2016

I once took a seakayak on a 300km roundtrip trip from Oslo,Norway to an island (North Koster) in Sweden. The trip was 12 days total (7 down the fjord and 5 back up it) with camping on the coast each night. It wasn't terribly difficult if you showed good seamanship - hugging the coast when appropriate; never crossing large bodies or congested waters at known busy times of the day; and stopping off along the coast when tired or hungry. It's all relative when in either large or small boats. I sorta cheated though on the way back up Oslofjord. I had made a 9 square meter triangular sail out of spinnaker cloth that I propped up ( 2 sticks in sleeves on the sides) in front me to sail home. It was a hoot because the winds are always from the South in the summer. I could drop the sail or reef it by rolling it up in strong gusts and sail cross wind. The worst part of the trip was the knuckleheaded motorboaters that would zoom passed to check me out. It was a wonderful trip though.

You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.
post #46 of 47 Old 02-21-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Sailed a hobie 16 from Ocean City NJ to Lewes Delaware , slept overnight on the trampoline in the state park so the crabs wouldn't annoy us. and back the next day
16 foot sail boat averaging 14 knots
Beer and cooler in one of the hulls

Those were the simpler days������

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #47 of 47 Old 02-21-2016

Across the Bay of Chaleur (Atlantic Ocean, New Brunsick) and back in a 16' open dingy (Mistral 16), about 25 miles each way.
That would be my longest sail in the smallest boat.
Also had a real blast in the same area sailing a Hobie 16 in the tag end of a hurricane, Only time I have ever worn a helmet sailing.
Until last summer I owned a cottage there. Just outside of Bathurst.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in