What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat? - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 02-05-2016 Thread Starter

What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

I've always been curious as to how far cruisers will go in a certain size vessel. I for one, have a 21' sailboat and often wonder how far it will take me...

So here is my question:what is the the longest distance you've sailed in the smallest boat you owned!?

The Curious Sailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Curious Sailor; 02-05-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-05-2016

Re: What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

I paddled about a quarter mile down and across the harbor in a 5' plastic toy pool boat when I must have been about 10. I wanted to see if the hamburgers at the Country Club (across the harbor) were better than the ones at the Yacht Club. I didn't drown or have need of my life jacket. Decided that the burgers weren't worth the trip. The background of my avatar photo shows the Country Club's golf course. The boat in the middleground shows the influence of a hamburger forty years later.
titustiger27 likes this.

Last edited by paulk; 02-05-2016 at 10:58 PM.
post #3 of 47 Old 02-06-2016

Robert Manry crossed the Atlantic in a 13ft boat in the mid-1960s.

In the end, I'm not sure these anecdotes translate to anyone else. One's success on any passage is influenced by a combination of one's specific boat and her condition, the skipper, the crew, the weather and luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 47 Old 02-06-2016
Boat Bum

Took an Ericson 27 from SF Bay to Barra Navidad and back. I'm on the East coast now and commute between the Carolinas and the Bahamas in a Cal 29.
The only problem I see with a 21' foot boat is that you have no place to store beer.

No wife, no kids, no debt.
post #5 of 47 Old 02-06-2016
Master Mariner

I personally haven't traveled very far on a very small boat as I really enjoy my creature comforts. I do know of a young Japanese man who sailed a 19 footer from Japan to San Francisco. There is also a Mini Transat race for 21 footers.
So I'd say it wasn't a matter of how big the boat was, but the sailor's er xxxxs.
zeehag and Curious Sailor like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 47 Old 02-06-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

all over san diego bay in an 11 ft kite, aka newport 11
catalina and back to lost angeles frequently in a 25 coronado. (26.1 miles each way)
Curious Sailor likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #7 of 47 Old 02-06-2016
Sailor

I sail the entire Chesapeake and Delaware bays in a 25' C & C and would go a lot further if i didn't have to work.
chef2sail and Curious Sailor like this.
post #8 of 47 Old 02-06-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

hay sharkbait did i meet you or was this before i got here???? i knew a fella in a ericson 27 in la cruz... he did a packing box of my rudder in exchange for some chain he needed... was that you???

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #9 of 47 Old 02-06-2016

I stay for weeks at a time on my 20 foot Mirage 5.5m. Sail all over Pamlico Sound, NC. I could easily go to Florida if I had the time off work long enough for such a trip. I stay on weekends in my 16 foot Chrysler on an inland lake (Kerr). It is really cramped but can be done. It is warm and dry at night.
It is more about what kind of a trooper you are than what kind of a boat you have. But I would not go smaller than 20 feet for any kind of long distance sailing.
Curious Sailor likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 47 Old 02-06-2016

In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post
So here is my question:what is the the longest distance you've sailed in the smallest boat you owned!?
The Curious Sailor

... Cuttyhunk Pond. We've sailed many, many, harbors on the NE coast in this boat. In fact, in two small sailboats(under 10'), we've sailed hundreds of miles, many of those miles with 4 of us onboard.

But to your question, so far, we've sailed a Cape Dory 28 the farthest from our home waters. In our case, distance sailed from home - so far - had more to with our age at the time, than the boat.

These days I'm more engaged in the quality of the miles we sail, than the quantity.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in