2 sets of oarlocks on a Porta bote? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2016 Thread Starter
One of THOSE!

2 sets of oarlocks on a Porta bote?

I've been internet-eyeing Porta Botes for a couple years, thinking of getting one and selling the West Marine 3.5m RIB that came with the boat. Corresponded with some owners. Looked at Youtube videos etc. But never saw one in person until this week. I guess there aren't any in the Turks and Caicos Islands. But A cruiser came into the marina with a 10 ft. Porta Bote as a dink and today he showed us how to set it up. In fact, my wife and I set it up and it took us maybe 20 minutes the first time. I could see it taking 5 minutes with some practice. I went out rowing in it, and was pretty impressed. We're planning to take it out again with a 6 hp Tohatsu on it later today.

My question is whether or not any of you have ever seen a 14 ft. Porta Bote with two sets of oarlocks in it? We're thinking that might be an interesting setup for two people who want to row.

Expat Life in the Devil's Triangle:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-06-2016

Re: 2 sets of oarlocks on a Porta bote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
I've been internet-eyeing Porta Botes for a couple years, thinking of getting one and selling the West Marine 3.5m RIB that came with the boat. Corresponded with some owners. Looked at Youtube videos etc. But never saw one in person until this week. I guess there aren't any in the Turks and Caicos Islands. But A cruiser came into the marina with a 10 ft. Porta Bote as a dink and today he showed us how to set it up. In fact, my wife and I set it up and it took us maybe 20 minutes the first time. I could see it taking 5 minutes with some practice. I went out rowing in it, and was pretty impressed. We're planning to take it out again with a 6 hp Tohatsu on it later today.

My question is whether or not any of you have ever seen a 14 ft. Porta Bote with two sets of oarlocks in it? We're thinking that might be an interesting setup for two people who want to row.
I've not seen one with two oar locks but it should be easy enough to do. I've had a eight foot Porta Boat since 2001 and love it. There is a Porta Boat listserv on Yahoo you could ask there. Or give PB a call. The oar locks should be easily to install if you get a pair from the company believe they use rivets.
Brent Swain likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-09-2016

We just bought a 12' Porta-Bote, used. With a Tohatsu 6hp in fact.

We've only had it out once but it was fun. Ours, of course, only has one set of oarlocks.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-09-2016 Thread Starter
One of THOSE!

decent little tugs. I've got a photo of the cruiser from next door, using his to push this hull into a slot where we could lift it out of the water before it sank on Saturday but haven't yet figured out how to post a photo here. This ten foot Porta Bote is just a thousand miles from completing a 3 and a half year circumnavigation, and Bill says he is NEVER going back to RIBs. He loves his PortaBote.

Not quite clear how to upload it, but lets try this:
Attached Thumbnails
894.jpg  
mbianka likes this.

Expat Life in the Devil's Triangle:

Last edited by 2Gringos; 02-09-2016 at 07:12 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-09-2016

Porta boat is a nice enough boat if you have the room. Taken apart it's hard to store the parts and they take a lot of room.The hull itself Stores flat on deck or on the rails. The boat is better suited to a camper trailer,in my opinion. I have gone back to an RIB: It's a lot better and way less work! I Use the Porta boat a 12 ft. camping, I have stainless rail brackets for the boat I would like to sell. $50.if your looking...Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #6 of 13 Old 02-09-2016
Administrator

Dock
The OP says he is in the Turks and C, so he must be cruising.
For cruising I think a rib is better and had a few good examples in the last week.

Boat dragged into another and half a dozen dinghys turned up to help. I got squeezed in between the 2 hulls. A dude yelled at me to use my dinghy as a fender. Of course I declined and used my 18HP to push the squishy boat away. A Porta Bote (etc) would have been crushed.

Had to help a boat with engine trouble. Lashed my dink to its hip. Easy for a rib. Not easy for a porta bote.

Had to help a guy who got a 40 ft fishing net in his prop. He was 1.5nms offshore. That's too far for comfort in my dink let alone for a Porta Bote. I did do it but didn't feel comfortable that far out.

Yep, an active week.

But the point is that dinghys do help other people. Can yours? Can the one you are looking at be a help in emergency?

Mark
post #7 of 13 Old 02-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The OP says he is in the Turks and C, so he must be cruising.
For cruising I think a rib is better and had a few good examples in the last week.

Boat dragged into another and half a dozen dinghys turned up to help. I got squeezed in between the 2 hulls. A dude yelled at me to use my dinghy as a fender. Of course I declined and used my 18HP to push the squishy boat away. A Porta Bote (etc) would have been crushed.

Had to help a boat with engine trouble. Lashed my dink to its hip. Easy for a rib. Not easy for a porta bote.

Had to help a guy who got a 40 ft fishing net in his prop. He was 1.5nms offshore. That's too far for comfort in my dink let alone for a Porta Bote. I did do it but didn't feel comfortable that far out.

Yep, an active week.

But the point is that dinghys do help other people. Can yours? Can the one you are looking at be a help in emergency?

Mark
My eight foot Porta Boat got flipped and crushed between two docks after one of them broke away during Hurricane Sandy. Got a little scratched but, survived intact can't say the same for the Honda BP2 outboard which went to the bottom.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #8 of 13 Old 02-09-2016

I have replace the factory oarlocks with "standard" oar locks, but just in the same position. The standard oarlocks have a pretty small bearing surface so they tend to work on the hull stressing it. I found some mahogany trim maybe 1/8 thick by 2 wide and used that as a backer plate to distribute the force. Then you can use real oars and put your back into the pull.

I don't see why you could not do the same thing with a 14' boat and have 2 sets of oarlocks. Don't know how the weight distribution would be. I used bolts and nuts for my install. I can still fold the boat, maybe a wee bit fatter, not an issue.
mbianka likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Porta boat is a nice enough boat if you have the room. Taken apart it's hard to store the parts and they take a lot of room.The hull itself Stores flat on deck or on the rails. The boat is better suited to a camper trailer,in my opinion. I have gone back to an RIB: It's a lot better and way less work! I Use the Porta boat a 12 ft. camping, I have stainless rail brackets for the boat I would like to sell. $50.if your looking...Dale
Can you PM me a pic?

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2016
Sailor

One thing to keep in mind. Admirals do NOT row.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in