Guitars and Salt Air OnBoard - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 Old 02-11-2016
Old as Dirt!

Re: Guitars and Salt Air OnBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post

I've had an acoustic violin here in a marine environment for ten years now. The only issues I've seen are that steel parts ( strings mostly) will rust if you leave them untouched for a while.
Many years ago we shared a foggy anchorage with another yacht that had a violin (and accomplished violinist) aboard. We discovered that when, hemmed in by fog in the late evening, we heard the strains of his/her music drifting through the mist... Almost like a scene from "Fiddler on the Roof". The boat was gone by the time we awoke the next AM so we never had a chance to thank/compliment him/her.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 Old 02-11-2016

Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I bought a beater Chinese Fender ply-top many years ago. Camping, boating, hang in' out at the beach? It doesn't care
Recently had a Luther buddy go over it. A bit of a tweak here and there and G-T-G ! Usually kept aboard in the case and brought at for an evenings strum and wailing whilst. consuming adult beverages at the dock. Surprisingly; there's less humidity at the Bay than up home in farm country!
I looked into the Martin HPLs. (Formica, tee-hee ) and for. that price I could replace mine several times. For the price on that blackbird whatzis, I could go near ten times I don't care if it *is* impervious. I'd still not take that much money aboard to bang away on Now, the Fender solid spruce top 12 string? That's another matter. it will live in the case and be brought out with care to conditions

Between the gulls, halyard slap, imbibement, outboards and PWC noise...who's gonna notice the difference a'tween a $179 unit and a $750+ piece of Formica?

80/20 or phosphor bronze strings match the thru-hulls ! Just gotta check the wires, same as std rigging schedule LOL ! TThinking back on nit; I *do* have eilxer coateds onnit. Oh well, needs new anywho

S/V Chrysalis
'80 Watkins 27
North East, MD

Last edited by deltaten; 02-11-2016 at 12:13 PM.
post #13 of 73 Old 02-11-2016

You might be surprised how low the relative humidity can be near the ocean, especially when the air temperature is high. My experience is like others: the strings and tuners are susceptible to corrosion; the wood will be fine, but far more likely on a sailboat to get damaged from getting banged up.

2Gringos was right except for one thing: rapid fluctuations in air relative humidity do not damage guitars. Moisture enters and leaves seasoned wood quite slowly. Check diurnal RH fluctuations in most locations. They can easily go from the 90s in the coolest hours to the 40s in the warmest hours, back to the 90s again, all in 24 hours. Think of the millions of guitars that have withstood decades of those daily fluctuations with no damage. Instead, it's the average humidity over a longer period of time that affect guitars. The damage that you hear about is mostly due to keeping guitars in heated houses. Raising temperature of cold air that leaks in reduces the RH to the 30s or even lower. Do that all winter without adding moisture, and your guitar may crack.

Now, go look at the long-term weather data in your sailing area. If the average humidity (not just the daily high) is more than, say, 70%, then you may want to consider different strategies. One strategy is to keep one guitar on the boat, and if it does show effects of high moisture in the wood, then swap it out for another guitar that has been kept in a drier environment. Alternate guitars as necessary.

P.S. It puzzles me why people refer to their guitars as "axes" or "weapons." I wonder if painters call their brushes swords or machetes.

Last edited by jwing; 02-11-2016 at 12:53 PM.

post #14 of 73 Old 02-11-2016

I keep a 35 year old Epiphone flat top on board all the time. Has had a few issues over the years like the bridge lifting from glue failure, but easy to fix and still sounds just like a 35 year old Eppy. Just have to strum it harder and sing louder... My best guitar stays in the house. Caveam is going aboard full time, so its a real coin toss. Your guitar should stay nice if you keep it hard cased and, like everyone else says, temperature and humidity stable. Seems like 65-90% average humidity where I live. Good luck! Most of all ENJOY your new life!
post #15 of 73 Old 02-11-2016
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post

P.S. It puzzles me why people refer to their guitars as "axes" or "weapons." I wonder if painters call their brushes swords or machetes.
The way I destroy songs with my Taylor GS mini, the name of a weapon of some sort is called for (my voice might even be classified as a dirty bomb). Not much better with the Uke. Sigh.

goat

PSC Orion 27
post #16 of 73 Old 02-11-2016
Freedom Chip Counter

Two things, both already mentioned, but I thought I’d reinforce…..

You’ll need a truss rod adjustment at some point if you’re traveling to different climates.

No matter how careful you are, the guitar will get banged around and bumped into……unless you never intend to take it out of the case.

~doo

Tartan 31
post #17 of 73 Old 02-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Two things, both already mentioned, but I thought I’d reinforce…..

You’ll need a truss rod adjustment at some point if you’re traveling to different climates.

No matter how careful you are, the guitar will get banged around and bumped into……unless you never intend to take it out of the case.

~doo
Cordoba guitars have the truss rods... I have not banged mine around the cabin or in the cockpit yet (knock on guitar wood!) but I'm very careful now since I've banged up some of my other guitars requiring luthier repairs in the past... takes some discipline to focus every angle and corner around you... like holding and passing around a baby!
post #18 of 73 Old 02-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
I bought a beater Chinese Fender ply-top many years ago. Camping, boating, hang in' out at the beach? It doesn't care
Recently had a Luther buddy go over it. A bit of a tweak here and there and G-T-G ! Usually kept aboard in the case and brought at for an evenings strum and wailing whilst. consuming adult beverages at the dock. Surprisingly; there's less humidity at the Bay than up home in farm country!
I looked into the Martin HPLs. (Formica, tee-hee ) and for. that price I could replace mine several times. For the price on that blackbird whatzis, I could go near ten times I don't care if it *is* impervious. I'd still not take that much money aboard to bang away on Now, the Fender solid spruce top 12 string? That's another matter. it will live in the case and be brought out with care to conditions

Between the gulls, halyard slap, imbibement, outboards and PWC noise...who's gonna notice the difference a'tween a $179 unit and a $750+ piece of Formica?

80/20 or phosphor bronze strings match the thru-hulls ! Just gotta check the wires, same as std rigging schedule LOL ! TThinking back on nit; I *do* have eilxer coateds onnit. Oh well, needs new anywho
It's not how it sounds it's how it plays.
Used to own a 1976 Fender Jumbo, think I traded it, horrible 70's Japanese guitar! Might have given it away come to think about it.
Anybody who says there is no difference is probably better of with a cheap guitar, save the good tone woods for people who KNOW the difference.
When I bought my last guitar I had a choice of 6 of the exact same model, each and every one of them had slight differences in tone and feel. Was really fun sitting in a room with 30 000$ worth of guitars trying to choose one of six!
punahougirl84 likes this.
post #19 of 73 Old 02-11-2016

I have a traveller ultra-light, it has a lot less exposed bits to get damaged and is basically a solid chunk of maple

I also really suck at guitar and am tone deaf so sound quality is less important to me than ruggedness/size

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 73 Old 02-11-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
It looks like as long as the humidity etc is fairly stable there shouldn't be much problem. Corrosion will be an issue but the elixir strings will fair much better that standard ones.

I also play the Great Highland Bagpipe and will have a set of them on board too - moisture isn't an issue with them as they are a "wet" instrument anyway - sound levels and room to play are the big issues there!

As for Jwing's question about weapons ... the Great Highland Bagpipe is a weapon! There is an actual legal precedent for it being a "Weapon of War" - a guy called Allan Reid was hanged after the Battle of Culloden in 1746 for playing his pipes in Bonnie Prince Charlie's rebel army - his defence was that he didn't take up arms against the Crown - he merely played his bagpipes instead - the judge pronounced that he had used his bagpipe as a weapon against the English and promptly sentenced him to hang!

It's the only weapon that I will have on board!

cheers
Andrew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in