Guitars and Salt Air OnBoard - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 73 Old 02-12-2016

Re: Guitars and Salt Air OnBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
Maybe swing it from the davits......uh could you put an outboard on it?

My onboard fiddle is in a hard case, the mando in a soft case. I'm fortunate in that I have room for both in the hanging locker with my clothes.

I note that the metal latches and hinges on the fiddle hard case are all discolored and corroded. The nylon or plastic zipper on the mandolin soft case is handling it fine. Not sure about putting a fiddle and two bows in a soft case, so I think I'm stuck with the hard case for the fiddle. Probably end up holding that one together with bungees.

Unless I can win a gold one from the devil...
Ok... So you guys with violins probably do not want to see this...

And we guitar players think this might be cool!

Still let's not get the guitars too wet or humid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 73 Old 02-13-2016
One of THOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Find a Pelican case made for double long-guns, they've big and totally sealed, and then keep the guitar stowed in that, with either a moisture eater or other additions, as is it were just a large cigar humidor. At least that would give it a stable environment while not being used.
For what it's worth, the uke people I just dropped over a thousand bucks with supplied a humidifier to go in the case with a Koa wood uke. You ADD water to it, to keep the environment humid. Moisture eaters or dessicants are the opposite direction, dry out the wood, which shrinks it, which opens cracks in the seams and joints. I think it might be better to protect it from knocks and scrapes, but not to seal it up from ambient humidity. Going back and forth from an arid, sealed case to normal humidity might be worse than just letting it stabilize in it's environment.

Does the string section of the Sydney symphony orchestra seal their instruments up in air tight containers between practices or performances? And I've sat through a number of Boston symphony concerts at the Hatch in Boston on July 4th weekend, and seen humidity in Boston run the gamut from very low to sweat dripping miserable. These are pros with expensive instruments.

And WHO is BS? Those are my initials, and I'm pretty sure I'm not stalking anyone.
bobperry likes this.

Expat Life in the Devil's Triangle:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2Gringos; 02-13-2016 at 07:38 AM.
post #43 of 73 Old 02-13-2016
grumpy old man

Gringos:
Many thanks for your post. I have been involved in several guitar and boats threads and there is always this knee jerk assumption that humidity hurts guitars. But I get outnumbered by the "experts".

BS is an steel boat enthusiast from BC who hates me because I am successful in the world of yacht design.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

post #44 of 73 Old 02-13-2016
One of THOSE!

Ah, I see. Sorry bout the stalker. We just watched a steel boat fall apart here over the course of three years unattended on the hard. I took 100 ft. of 3/8 chain out through a hole next to the keel. It free fell to the ground.

And these kinds of threads get frustrating when people who are convinced that they have reasoned out a situation butt heads with people who actually have lived through those situations. It's more common than not on these forums these days. Lots of theoretical sailors and Googling experts on any subject you can come up with. They get astonished when people with experience dare to question their omnipotent opinions formed in lieu of any actual hands on. Kinda like reading a pdf file on how to throw a clay pot and then arguing with someone who's spent decades at a potter's wheel.

Stable high humidity has kept wooden boats tight for centuries, I believe. We watch what happens to the poorly constructed Haitian sloops that get washed ashore here. After a few weeks in the tropical sun, the t-shirt and sheet rags "caulking" between the hull planks falls out as the planks dry and shrink. It's even more graphic than my first attempt at a coffee table project over the winter when I first moved from Texas to Massachusetts. My carefully constructed-in-February chessboard inlaid table destroyed itself when summer came. It buckled like a Mexican pavement project.

Expat Life in the Devil's Triangle:

Last edited by 2Gringos; 02-13-2016 at 08:51 AM.
post #45 of 73 Old 02-13-2016
Over Hill Sailing Club

I would not bring an expensive guitar on the boat for many reasons, humidity being far down the list of things to worry about. Humidity and the marine environment are not specifically the problem but, as mentioned already, rapid humidity changes MAY cause cracking of the top. I build guitars/fiddles and built a little scaled down cedar, nylon string guitar with a radiused fretboard just for the boat. It's been aboard for a few years now without a problem. A boat guitar needs to be tough so I'd not consider keeping an expensive Martin or Taylor aboard.
guitarguy56 likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #46 of 73 Old 02-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post

Does the string section of the Sydney symphony orchestra seal their instruments up in air tight containers between practices or performances? And I've sat through a number of Boston symphony concerts at the Hatch in Boston on July 4th weekend, and seen humidity in Boston run the gamut from very low to sweat dripping miserable. These are pros with expensive instruments.
Understand what you mean regarding the instruments when they play outdoors in the humidity and if you think about it they play anywhere from 3-4 hours if that... so the instruments do not have the time in the humidity to get damaged. That would have to be 24/7 of constant high humidity for the instruments to start getting affected.

My son played for the Savannah Symphony Orchestra many times and he was in several concert orchestras here in Savannah and the violins, cellos, and other wood instruments were played outdoors in the high humidity exposed anywhere between 6-8 hours at times when they would play the 'Picnic in the Park' series outdoors on stage... the instruments did not suffer from what the players were concerned... I am sure they protected the instruments.

The photo is to show my son as they boarded the stage for a concert and to show hopefully I am not taken for some internet BS'r as might be others. He is the Principal chair trombonist for the orchestras...

There are other guitar forums to read up on why high humidity or large fluctuations of humidity is not best for wood instruments... I belong to the DEL CAMP guitar forum so you can read it there if you wish.

Protect a guitar from too high humidity - Classical Guitar

Love that KOA ukelele.... Would like one too for the boat!

Attached Thumbnails
Nicky SSO.jpg  

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-13-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #47 of 73 Old 02-13-2016
grumpy old man

I figure my guitars will outlast me so I play the one I want. I agree that my J 200 jumbo is a bit cumbersome for life on board and it would be a tough life for it on board 100% of the time. So I'll just have to settle for my Martin OM 28 if I move on board which is far from likely to happen. It's a fine ax and quite compact.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #48 of 73 Old 02-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I would not bring an expensive guitar on the boat for many reasons, humidity being far down the list of things to worry about. Humidity and the marine environment are not specifically the problem but, as mentioned already, rapid humidity changes MAY cause cracking of the top. I build guitars/fiddles and built a little scaled down cedar, nylon string guitar with a radiused fretboard just for the boat. It's been aboard for a few years now without a problem. A boat guitar needs to be tough so I'd not consider keeping an expensive Martin or Taylor aboard.
True... So true...

I'd love to see the guitar you've built for the boat! I carry a Chinese made Cordoba C5 solid top cedar guitar in the boat which costs approx. $300 (new) so inexpensive regarding Spanish guitars but plays like a $2000 guitar... I also have this same C5 Cordoba guitar but built in Portugal when they used to make them between Spain/Portugal (1950's - 2005) before they moved production to China... This guitar will never be taken out of the house for extended periods of time because of its value as well as my others guitars but I do occasionally take out the Ramirez guitars when playing with other players during small concertos/trios and that normally will last 1-2 hours at most.
post #49 of 73 Old 02-13-2016

I followed a thread like this one about a year or two ago. Bob Perry was the primary contributor, and convinced me that moisture isn't the enemy.

I believe Fatty Goodlander carries his guitar on the boat at all times. He is in and out of the tropics. I don't know what brand or model guitar or how he cares for it on board. Sure would be nice to hear from him.

I have my guitar on board and my wife has her accordion. Well see how well they survive.
post #50 of 73 Old 02-13-2016
Fortuitous

I make my own guitars, and although I imagine that they could survive the potential high heat and humidity fluctuations, I just don't trust myself to bringing them on board. I got around that by making myself a guitar out of Formica, which is pretty much impervious to anything. I've used the back to cut limes for Cuba Libres.

There's a full writeup here: Boat Guitar | Sailing Fortuitous

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in