Florida . . . you can keep it! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 02-21-2016
Senior Member
 
dylanwinter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxford
Posts: 528
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Try North Norfolk

sand and 20 feet tides



and the local harbour masters use tractors and foreloaders for regular bouy moving

oysterman23 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanwinter1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 Old 02-21-2016
Senior Member
 
Caribbeachbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 132
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Did the backwards buoys include yellow triangles (red) and yellow squares (green) in their design?
Caribbeachbum is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 02-21-2016
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,671
Thanks: 93
Thanked 111 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Relying on any single source of information is not wise.....actually close to negligent, as far as navigating anywhere, not only Florida. Inlets, unless class A, well maintained inlets, always need local knowledge to be confident of a safe route through the bars. I'd suggest at least three separate sources of information such as cruise guides, internet crowd-sourcing, and digital (non-NOAA) chart information such as Garmin, etc. NOAA charts are a great resource but there are times when they don't cut it alone. Cross checking is necessary. A call to outfits such as US Boat before traveling through iffy sections never hurts either as well as a call to the local USCG. There's plenty of info out there, but it takes effort in your planning.
sharkbait likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
 
post #14 of 28 Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Relying on any single source of information is not wise.....actually close to negligent, as far as navigating anywhere, not only Florida. Inlets, unless class A, well maintained inlets, always need local knowledge to be confident of a safe route through the bars. I'd suggest at least three separate sources of information such as cruise guides, internet crowd-sourcing, and digital (non-NOAA) chart information such as Garmin, etc. NOAA charts are a great resource but there are times when they don't cut it alone. Cross checking is necessary. A call to outfits such as US Boat before traveling through iffy sections never hurts either as well as a call to the local USCG. There's plenty of info out there, but it takes effort in your planning.
This is my point. I had NOAA charts (just downloaded and printed days earlier), a new Garmin, Navionics less than 6 months old and a cruising guide. Most agreed and they were all wrong. Irresponsible describes the lack of documentation by the maintaining agencies/municipalities. If there is a repository of updated information, please let me know, but if it's local knowledge only, AKA word of mouth, that is categorically irresponsible.
DonScribner is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 02-21-2016
bell ringer
 
Don0190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: on way toward New orleans
Posts: 4,083
Thanks: 10
Thanked 108 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

And I just bet that you had checked into updates.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don0190 is online now  
post #16 of 28 Old 02-22-2016
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,671
Thanks: 93
Thanked 111 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

If I'm going through an area with a lot of comments/warnings on the crowd-source websites like AC, I'll definitely give a call to the tow services and USCG office. They are most likely to have the most recent information. Even in areas you are familiar with, there ARE places with missing information on both NOAA, Garmin, and other digital sources. Example: I saw at least two sailboats aground this year (myself almost among them) won the unmarked bar coming into the Okechobee/St. Lucie River going up toward Stuart. There used to be a third red marker which has apparently been removed at the ICW intersection. I bumped bottom going in, thinking that the channel was now deep enough just past the first red buoy. For anyone else going this way, make sure you go south IN THE ICW channel until you are well past the red marker. Get aligned with the two greens going into the river. Then make a sharp turn into the river channel.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 02-23-2016
Senior Member
 
caberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 970
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Poor charts is your biggest complaint about Florida? How about the zillions of old people, the endless strip malls, the boring scenery, the ugly development...... I could go on.
seaner97 and Sal Paradise like this.
caberg is online now  
post #18 of 28 Old 02-23-2016
Freedom Chip Counter
 
scubadoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South, FL
Posts: 246
Thanks: 24
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If I'm going through an area with a lot of comments/warnings on the crowd-source websites like AC, I'll definitely give a call to the tow services and USCG office. They are most likely to have the most recent information. Even in areas you are familiar with, there ARE places with missing information on both NOAA, Garmin, and other digital sources. Example: I saw at least two sailboats aground this year (myself almost among them) won the unmarked bar coming into the Okechobee/St. Lucie River going up toward Stuart. There used to be a third red marker which has apparently been removed at the ICW intersection. I bumped bottom going in, thinking that the channel was now deep enough just past the first red buoy. For anyone else going this way, make sure you go south IN THE ICW channel until you are well past the red marker. Get aligned with the two greens going into the river. Then make a sharp turn into the river channel.
Storms really did a number on St Lucie inlet last summer....they had all sorts of vessels running aground up there! It was big news for a while.....I'm a wimp...I always try to follow a bigger boat in and out of the inlets!

Tartan 31
scubadoo is online now  
post #19 of 28 Old 02-23-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,643
Thanks: 11
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
Rep Power: 15
   
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

"There used to be a third red marker which has apparently been removed "
Apparently removed? Or, simply missing? If I'm looking for a mark of any kind and it isn't where I'm expecting it, I always assume it was abducted by alien buoy collectors. Them gummint fellows used to be glad to take the phone call and find out about those, too. Even if it might be six months or longer before they could save up enough money to buy a new one and have it fedexed out.(G)
hellosailor is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 02-23-2016
Senior Member
 
travlin-easy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland - USA
Posts: 6,603
Thanks: 1
Thanked 121 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Florida . . . you can keep it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Poor charts is your biggest complaint about Florida? How about the zillions of old people, the endless strip malls, the boring scenery, the ugly development...... I could go on.
Watch that old people crap - I resemble that remark!

Gary
travlin-easy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New York To Florida, Restock, FLorida to bahamas OceanSailor4 General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-01-2010 05:51 PM
New York To Florida, Restock, FLorida to bahamas OceanSailor4 General Discussion (sailing related) 1 07-01-2010 05:24 PM
Voted #1 Florida Press 2004 FIRST PLACE Best Web Site Florida Keys Keynoter (Keynoter.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 01-13-2007 01:15 AM
Voted #1 Florida Press 2004 and 2005 Best Web Site Florida Keys Keynoter (Keynoter.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-07-2006 10:15 PM
Voted #1 Florida Press 2004 and 2005 Best Web Site Florida Keys Keynoter (Keynoter.com) NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-04-2006 01:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome