Dyneema Lifeline Splicing - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter
That Drunk Guy

Dyneema Lifeline Splicing

I am replacing my lifelines with the New England Rope STS-WR2 dyneema but am having a hell of a time splicing eyes into it. Can anyone give some tips on accomplishing this? The cover is so tightly woven that it is impossible to run a fid down into it to bury anything other than the existing core. It certainly wont splice like normal double braid....I'm at a loss.

Hallberg Rassy - Monsun 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

Re: Dyneema Lifeline Splicing

Are you compressing it together to widen the diameter? Is the fid too big?

I have a question for you too. Once you get an eye on one side of the line, how do you do the other end? At one point, it would require you to pull the opposite end, that aleady has an eye, back through. (maybe there are other ways to splice dyneema, I'm no splicing expert)

I've seen all sorted of knotted ends on synthetic lifelines, but don't love that look. If you could splice both ends, that would be nice.
Tenoch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

I love to splice all of my lines but doing Dyneema double-braid is always a chore and particularly difficult when the outer braid is tight. I find that my rubber mallet helps a lot, and will also resort to tapering the inner and outer cores more than the recommended amount (the lengths remain the same, I just "thin" more strands). When I did my lifelines with Dyneema on my last boat, I used single-braid and classic lashings which I would occasionally tighten as the Dyneema did it's slow creep.

If you absolutely cannot get a spliced eye into that line, then you could revert to sewing/whipping in an eye; with appropriate line and perhaps by combining sewing and a tight lashing you could make an eye that is almost as good as a spliced one and certainly sufficient for safety reasons (there is information out on the web regarding sewing on such items as jacklines which is quite informative regarding the strengths when using different methods).

Minnewaska - he's doing a double-braid splice, which doesn't require the line to be pulled through as one would need on a single-braid line using the Brummel splice. And since the single-braided dyneema lets you compress the line enough to make an opening wide enough to pull an eye through, that isn't a problem (I've use that method to get eyes on both ends of the line).
Tenoch and wymbly1971 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 02-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

refer to Brion Toss' splice, he does not bury the cover, but whips it at the throat after it makes the turn round the eye.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
....Minnewaska - he's doing a double-braid splice, which doesn't require the line to be pulled through as one would need on a single-braid line using the Brummel splice. And since the single-braided dyneema lets you compress the line enough to make an opening wide enough to pull an eye through, that isn't a problem (I've use that method to get eyes on both ends of the line).
Ah. Didn't pick up on that.

Did you use single braid at one point for lifelines? I've not tried to pull an eye through a brummel splice, but if it's possible, that would make a nice neat job to have an eye at each end.

Chafe protection is still a concern for me, but I'm thinking about this. New lifelines are in my relatively near future.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

I did use single braid Dyneema SK75 for lifelines on the previous boat. I managed to pull an eye through on a Brummel splice to get a line with 2 eyes, but I never managed to get the length right. In the end I end up using a simple splice with buried tail and whipping on one end and a Brummel on the other, that way I could adjust the length of the line so that I could put in a lashing. I think I only have one picture:

post #7 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

BTW you do not need to use both ends to do a Brummel splice http://www.neropes.com/Splicing%20Gu...0_Brummell.pdf
here is the instruction for WR2. It is not a normal double braid splice. http://www.teufelberger.com/fileadmi...WR2_Splice.pdf
scubadoo likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2016
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I did use single braid Dyneema SK75 for lifelines on the previous boat. I managed to pull an eye through on a Brummel splice to get a line with 2 eyes, but I never managed to get the length right. In the end I end up using a simple splice with buried tail and whipping on one end and a Brummel on the other, that way I could adjust the length of the line so that I could put in a lashing. I think I only have one picture:
That's exactly the way I did it. Lashing works very well and allows adjustments when the 12 strand stretches over time, which it will. I strongly recommend using 12 strand instead of a double braid. It is SO much easier to work with.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

How much stretch can in expect in the single strand? If I put an eye out the side of one of the current adjustable turnbuckles, I could use them for slack removal. I'm guessing that good enough for about an inch.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2016

Aren't you guys worried about burning the lifeline with sheet whip?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in