The Punk Rock Thread - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
美國佬

Re: The Punk Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Duran Duran is as far from Punk as that video is from real sailing......
SO SORRY, IT SEEMS I POSTED THE WRONG VIDEO ABOVE

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I think about the Sex Pistols (or Iggy Pop and the Ramones) out outside of the main stream there were.. and kind of scary, but now they seem to be a golden nugget of history.

One of the odd things about punk is, like a so many things, only the main stream is talked about... What I liked about punk was how it was so local. In Toledo I would go to punk clubs in the 80's. I was in my 30's surrounded by teenagers, with other teenagers on stage.. (I was the old guy in the club) they would just be rocking out. In many ways those bands.. that audience also had an importance.

that said, I defer to colemj.. that is a pretty good list and a great cross section of bands.

Not exactly Punk, but certainly the spirit

Neil Young Johnny Rotten
https://youtu.be/0O1v_7T6p8U
Well I was one of those teens(and into my 20's)! Hung out in some pretty crazy clubs in Cincinnati while in college. Saw the DK's and Violent Femms, but mostly local bands that no one heard of in basement clubs we were warned not to go to! I remember one club strangely run by and elderly couple (or at least they seemed elderly to a 20 year old!) and they had 2 beer prices $1 for domestic and $2 for imports. No one drank imports till I pointed out that the Foster's oil cans at 25.4 oz was actually cheaper than the domestic stuff. Plus you threw the empty's onto the slam dancers! Those old tin cans had some weight to them!

Ahh the 80's what a time! Those kids today don't know what they are missing! (I think I am starting to sound like a grandpa!)
willyd and RainDog like this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #13 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
bell ringer

If Billy Idol had only been into rum drinks
titustiger27 likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well I was one of those teens(and into my 20's)! Hung out in some pretty crazy clubs in Cincinnati while in college. Saw the DK's and Violent Femms, but mostly local bands that no one heard of in basement clubs we were warned not to go to! I remember one club strangely run by and elderly couple (or at least they seemed elderly to a 20 year old!) and they had 2 beer prices $1 for domestic and $2 for imports. No one drank imports till I pointed out that the Foster's oil cans at 25.4 oz was actually cheaper than the domestic stuff. Plus you threw the empty's onto the slam dancers! Those old tin cans had some weight to them!

Ahh the 80's what a time! Those kids today don't know what they are missing! (I think I am starting to sound like a grandpa!)

There was a band playing the club and they were paid two cases of cheap beer. And along with me, there were three old guys (60's) who were at the bar, who probably were at the bar every afternoon at 3 p.m. I think they had a great time watching their grandchildren being weird.

I think the Violent Femmes are great, but I thought of them less punk and more post-punk, like the replacements

SailingStNick and seaner97 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 02-26-2016 at 09:01 PM.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I think the Violent Femmes are great, but I thought of them less punk and more post-punk, like the replacements

I agree, although put in context of what was commercial popular music at the time, these bands were at the opposite end bringing something raw and new to the scene. Just imagine Air Supply doing "Gary's Got A Boner" or Eddie Rabbit doing "Add It Up"...

I did take some liberties using this context in my post above.

On the other hand, Budweiser has used a Ramones song, and Carnival Cruise Lines an Iggie Pop song, in commercials. If people actually knew this music, there would be outrage (budweiser used "i wanna be sedated", conveniently omitting those lyrics, and Carnival used "lust for life" which is a song about gay sex and drug abuse - also conveniently skirting the relevant lyrics).

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #16 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I agree, although put in context of what was commercial popular music at the time, these bands were at the opposite end bringing something raw and new to the scene. Just imagine Air Supply doing "Gary's Got A Boner" or Eddie Rabbit doing "Add It Up"...

I did take some liberties using this context in my post above.

On the other hand, Budweiser has used a Ramones song, and Carnival Cruise Lines an Iggie Pop song, in commercials. If people actually knew this music, there would be outrage (budweiser used "i wanna be sedated", conveniently omitting those lyrics, and Carnival used "lust for life" which is a song about gay sex and drug abuse - also conveniently skirting the relevant lyrics).

Mark
What a great post

One of my favorite commercializations is Iggy Pop (Lust for Life) the intro that song is been used so much.. an do out of context of the performer. (this is the guy who "I wanna be your dog") He has yet to sell out in any way what so ever.

Btw, on your list my favorite is X, I thought that was a band that should be recognized as poets of a city (Los Angles) and perhaps more

Vector X Y
post #17 of 32 Old 02-26-2016

Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
That's not punk...that's 80s alternative at best.

EDIT: I see the OP has been corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27

Love The Replacements. Probably post-punk, you're right. Moreso than the 80s and 90s emo stuff that was coming out, but that's another story. (I do like Morrissey and the Smiths)

Roaming the Mississippi Sound

Last edited by SailingStNick; 02-26-2016 at 08:49 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
arrgh!

Dock

I wonder if kids know what they are missing

I do think that there are era's of music that is so creative (and often cheap) that it makes other era's look foolish... but if you live in the 'foolish' era, you don't know what you are missing

Like are their clubs doing original music (rap) that there are 5 bands for $5 and five hours.. and as creative as the 60's

As good as Taylor Swift is.. mainstream wise are there cheap alternatives..

I think that is one of the things about punk (post punk) the big groups didn't suck all the oxygen out of the atmosphere

Vector X Y
post #19 of 32 Old 02-26-2016 Thread Starter
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well I was one of those teens(and into my 20's)! Hung out in some pretty crazy clubs in Cincinnati while in college.
I saw two of the best shows of my life at Bogart's in the late 80's. 7 Seconds in 88 and The Pogues in 89. I had seen The Pogues twice before so knew they were awesome, but Seven Seconds I was not expecting much, but they blew me away.
miatapaul likes this.

post #20 of 32 Old 02-26-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I saw two of the best shows of my life at Bogart's in the late 80's. 7 Seconds in 88 and The Pogues in 89. I had seen The Pogues twice before so knew they were awesome, but Seven Seconds I was not expecting much, but they blew me away.
What were the Pogues like...? I have a thought they were chaotic or more professional than one could imagine...

Vector X Y

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in