Draft 4.50 vs 3.92 vs 5.50
Disp 12800 vs 14500 vs 9400
Ballast 4500 vs 5000 vs 3800
SA/D 14.00 vs 14.10 vs 17.12
B/D 35.15% vs 34.48% vs 40.43%
D/L 274.77 vs 311.26 vs 268.57
CSF 1.71 vs 1.94 vs 1.99
CR 24.87 vs 23.35 vs 27.16

Above we have the tale of the tape of three sailboats (I said two initially so some replies will reflect in comparison of the first two set of numbers. The last set of numbers with the CR of 27.16 was added last, sorry for the confusion).

I have read a bit about what the numbers mean. But, I am baffled by the comparison here. I know that the numbers are not a tell all and that some of this numbers have a lot of arguments in them. I am using the numbers to arrived at an educated guess. Like someone else said here somewhere, "if you do not have the experience then you have to start somewhere".

The sailing area will be the Florida keys, the Gulf, the Caribbean Islands and maybe down the coast to South America, Cuba, Puerto Rico. I am not planning on cruising the Atlantic or the Pacific. Please don't be afraid of being technical, if I do not understand it I will research it out.

I am interested in all three, but stump on which one to get, but getting close. Once I get enough opinions and info to get a picture from the info here; if someone has not figured it out yet, I will divulge the models.

Which of these sailboats according strictly to this numbers would be a better choice for an entry level, first sailboat rookie?
Thank you in advance and your opinions are all appreciated.

Last edited by CaptRican; 02-28-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: cleaning up listing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 02-27-2016

Re: The tale of the tape: Two sailboats for the same purpose

Gather you meant 35 LOA rather than 25 - I took the liberty of editing the format of your list for easier reading.

Looking at the numbers there's not much in it... the 33 footer appears heavier and shallower with more beam. Your slip (if you have one) might make that decision for you. Not knowing the two brands, difficult to make any kind of call.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 67 Old 02-27-2016

Yeah . . and the $number and the personal how you like it 1-10 number are also keys factors . .
Faster likes this.

post #4 of 67 Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Gather you meant 35 LOA rather than 25 - I took the liberty of editing the format of your list for easier reading.

Looking at the numbers there's not much in it... the 33 footer appears heavier and shallower with more beam. Your slip (if you have one) might make that decision for you. Not knowing the two brands, difficult to make any kind of call.
Thank you, it looks better. I am hoping that by omitting the brands that I can keep the info focused on just comparing the numbers.

It appears that one is under canvassed for the beam and displ?
post #5 of 67 Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Like the beamy one a little bit because of the space. But the other seem to have a better CSF? Price wise they are in the same ballpark.
post #6 of 67 Old 02-27-2016

The 33 footer will be a less inspired performer, probably, but neither are 'lightweights'. Presumably the 33 footer will also have more volume/storage than the other. The D/L from 275 to 311 may not seem like much, but IMO there's a bit of a 'cliff' where performance falls off over 300. OTOH, if you're going to be sailing in tradewind conditions much of the time, and up and down island chains it may not matter. Most boats do just fine once the breeze gets over 15 knots, and these two aren't going to be intimidated by 20+, most likely.

If price, condition and equipment are anywhere close to lining up, it's going to boil down to your heart. For me it would probably come down to which had the best 'row-away' factor.

Let us know what the contest was when you decide...

EDIT - just noticed your threw a third into the mix... sneaky!

Given the overhangs the third is probably the prettiest.. but likely, too, significantly smaller by more than just the LOA.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-27-2016 at 06:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
CaptRican (02-28-2016)
post #7 of 67 Old 02-27-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Csf is really dirty and not particularly accurate. Regardless, if you trust it the cutoff is under 2, which both of these are. The narrower by the numbers would be my leaning, but there is way more than the numbers that gives a good sailing and seakindly boat.
I also posted before you put up the third. Second what Faster said.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by seaner97; 02-27-2016 at 06:52 PM.
post #8 of 67 Old 02-27-2016

From the numbers there is hardly any difference in the boats so would not let that be much of a factor in your choice. Things like quality of build, storage space/compartments, functionality of the galley, accessories and equipment, etc would be more important deciding factors.
post #9 of 67 Old 02-27-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post

Which of these sailboats according strictly to this numbers would be a better choice for an entry level, first sailboat rookie?
Thank you in advance and your opinions are all appreciated.
The one you like the best and is in the best condition for its' price!! I didn't read the noise stuff as there is no best choice.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 67 Old 02-27-2016
Not Finished Yet

Here is my extremely amateur opinion based on your cruising area and what I assume is your intended us (life at anchor and relaxed cruising)

Quote:
Fin with rudder on a skeg Long Keel
Fin has balanced rudder I assume. This makes maneuvering and backing much easier, which is really nice. Most likely more susceptible to damage in a hard grounding.

Quote:
LWL 27.50 vs 27.50 vs 25.00
More is always better. LWL is the single biggest factor (by far) in determining miles covered in a day IMHO.

Quote:
Beam 10.00 vs 11.83 vs 10.50
The more the better since this is a small boat and you will be living on it.

Quote:
Draft 4.50 vs 3.92 vs 5.50
This is a really big one given your cruising area. I would not buy a boat with 5.5 personally. The 3.92 is really, really nice and I would seriously consider that boat based purely on that number.

Quote:
Disp 12800 vs 14500 vs 9400
The more the better all else being equal. Figure you will add 2000+ lbs to this in gear, water, etc. Think about what % of displacement that is and what that does to all the other numbers. Also most boats seem to be considerably heavier that the listed number. Check with other owners to see what the 'real' number is and recalculate all the numbers based on the real number + 2000 lbs.

Quote:
SA/D 14.00 vs 14.10 vs 17.12
The more the better. Note that for cutters this number can be misleading since the stay sail area is not normally included. Recalculate this with the 'real' displacement (see above).

Quote:
D/L 274.77 vs 311.26 vs 268.57
Recalculate with 'real' displacement (see above). None of these are going to be racers, and this number will get much worse when you recalculate it.

Given the numbers here, and based just on the numbers, the middle boat would BY FAR be my choice for your use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
CaptRican (02-28-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in