Nice Pogo write up - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-01-2016 Thread Starter
Lake Sailor

Nice Pogo write up

Jackdaw posted about this over at SBO so I thought I would share the article. These things freaking rock! He can speak more to the performance as he has actually sailed one on more than one occasion. Spendy, spendy, spendy but.... man..... what a ride.

Dream Yachts: The ultrafast Pogo 12.50 | no-frills-sailing.com
Slayer likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-01-2016
Old enough to know better

Re: Nice Pogo write up

I would love to go for a ride, once you get yours! But I am too traditional to deal with that cold spartan interior. That is one of the reasons I really liked Alex's Giulietta because it was a fast boat that has a comfortable interior.
Faster likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #3 of 20 Old 03-01-2016

I only want the down hill ride, broad reaching passing waves. The transport crew will have to do the uphill slog to bring it home. : )

post #4 of 20 Old 03-02-2016
Remember you're a womble

Niiiiiiiiiiice.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-02-2016

Up or down hill I am would love a ride.

I have been lusting after the Pogo 12.50 since they came out.

Greg
post #6 of 20 Old 03-15-2016

Stumble,
If you ever come down this way (Oz) drop me a PM , we're breaking in a squeaky new 12.50, more than happy to take you out.

Shockwave, I know this is going to sound weird, but it is genuinely fun to sail upwind! I confess I am not sure in tall short choppy seas, but in moderate swell, you need a good 20 deg of heel to get the big arse out of the water, then she simply transforms. Great fun!

Last edited by shaggybaxter; 03-15-2016 at 06:43 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-15-2016 Thread Starter
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggybaxter View Post
Stumble,
If you ever come down this way (Oz) drop me a PM , we're breaking in a squeaky new 12.50, more than happy to take you out.

Shockwave, I know this is going to sound weird, but it is genuinely fun to sail upwind! I confess I am not sure in tall short choppy seas, but in moderate swell, you need a good 20 deg of heel to get the big arse out of the water, then she simply transforms. Great fun!
Shaggy, seeing as you own one, followed your thread over at SA, can you speak to that "cold spartan interior"? Maybe give us some more on how she sails as well. I know some folks are a bit "spooked" by these new designs.....

Umquam Porro

post #8 of 20 Old 03-15-2016

Quote:
Stumble,

I have beenfollowing your thread over on SA as well. It might be an interesting trip, come down for an A-Cat regatta, stay for a Pogo demo. I just have no idea how I would get that much time off of work.

Greg
post #9 of 20 Old 03-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Shaggy, seeing as you own one, followed your thread over at SA, can you speak to that "cold spartan interior"? Maybe give us some more on how she sails as well. I know some folks are a bit "spooked" by these new designs.....

Hi CB,
Hmmm...where to start? Lets pick on the interior. I can understand how people might balk at the lack of headlining and the spartan feel. Aside from the electronics, you could almost hose out the interior. Personally I love it. I am 6"1", and you have headroom throughout the main cabin, and in the forrard and rear berths there is an area to get changed that is also standing headroom. The exposed thwarts I thought would cause a few stubbed toes for my wife and kids, but I am happy to report nobody has even mentioned them, and no stumbles to date. I have been pleasantly surprised at the level of well thought out detail, there is a host of little things that are not immediately obvious that really make her a pleasurable experience for live aboard comfort.
On hot days with all the hatches closed she can get a bit hot and stuffy below, open the hatches and the change is immediate. The berths are massive, all have inbuilt lee cloths which you need due to their size, and the standard berth matresses are super comfortable. We have had a maximum of 9 on board to date with 7 sleeping at once, and we didn't feel crowded at all. There is a fair degree of noise in the cabin when sheets are loaded up and being used.

Sailing...is just captivating. Loads of power from 8 knots and above. My options list included dual heads, and dual wheels instead of the tiller, so I need 14 knots TWS to start planing (standard boats are high 13's).
The big surprise for me was the windward performance, I had heard all sorts of horror stories! Pointing angles are surprising, if you want to she'll hold 37 deg TWA, but her optimum angles seem to be 45-50. With the staysail up instead of the headsail, she points like a demon, we were sailing comfortably at low 30's TWA.
As wind increases, the best method to date I have found is to ignore the tell tails and steer off the heel angle, About 20 degrees is optimal speed, you get a noticeable lift in speed and can feel her lean against the chine and accelerate in the puffs.
You can overpower the rudders by oversheeting the traveller, but to date we have not even come close to losing control . My 13 yo can steer her without any round up's or broaches, its easier to sail than my old 26'.
it is a wide groove for the helmsman, and there is a stable almost rocklike feel to that beam that makes it such a joy to sail.

If I could summarise, this is a keeper. Fun, fast, stable and most of all, a ton of fun to sail! Can't thank Structures enough, they have built everything I wanted and delivered even more than I expected.
Hope this helps!
SB
cb32863 and scubadoo like this.

Last edited by shaggybaxter; 03-15-2016 at 11:20 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-15-2016 Thread Starter
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Hi CB,
Hmmm...where to start? Lets pick on the interior. I can understand how people might balk at the lack of headlining and the spartan feel. Aside from the electronics, you could almost hose out the interior. Personally I love it. I am 6"1", and you have headroom throughout the main cabin, and in the forrard and rear berths there is an area to get changed that is also standing headroom. The exposed thwarts I thought would cause a few stubbed toes for my wife and kids, but I am happy to report nobody has even mentioned them, and no stumbles to date. I have been pleasantly surprised at the level of well thought out detail, there is a host of little things that are not immediately obvious that really make her a pleasurable experience for live aboard comfort.
On hot days with all the hatches closed she can get a bit hot and stuffy below, open the hatches and the change is immediate. The berths are massive, all have inbuilt lee cloths which you need due to their size, and the standard berth matresses are super comfortable. We have had a maximum of 9 on board to date with 7 sleeping at once, and we didn't feel crowded at all. There is a fair degree of noise in the cabin when sheets are loaded up and being used.

Sailing...is just captivating. Loads of power from 8 knots and above. My options list included dual heads, and dual wheels instead of the tiller, so I need 14 knots TWS to start planing (standard boats are high 13's).
The big surprise for me was the windward performance, I had heard all sorts of horror stories! Pointing angles are surprising, if you want to she'll hold 37 deg TWA, but her optimum angles seem to be 45-50. With the staysail up instead of the headsail, she points like a demon, we were sailing comfortably at low 30's TWA.
As wind increases, the best method to date I have found is to ignore the tell tails and steer off the heel angle, About 20 degrees is optimal speed, you get a noticeable lift in speed and can feel her lean against the chine and accelerate in the puffs.
You can overpower the rudders by oversheeting the traveller, but to date we have not even come close to losing control . My 13 yo can steer her without any round up's or broaches, its easier to sail than my old 26'.
it is a wide groove for the helmsman, and there is a stable almost rocklike feel to that beam that makes it such a joy to sail.

If I could summarise, this is a keeper. Fun, fast, stable and most of all, a ton of fun to sail! Can't thank Structures enough, they have built everything I wanted and delivered even more than I expected.
Hope this helps!
SB
Between you and Jackdaw, you are really making me want (need?) to sail on one of these.... Awesome.

Umquam Porro

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in