Quick, independent, question… Is a boat lift boon or detriment for sailboating?… - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Quick, independent, question… Is a boat lift boon or detriment for sailboating?…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
"The contraption some people use to store their boats just above the water in a fixed location. "

Ah, that's it.
I thought that it might have to do with Disabled Sailing, given:
"I'd like to board some elderly folk from time to time."
(I have no idea how lifting a boat a few feet above waterline aids in getting the elderly aboard.)

There are "Lifts", a sort of slings on Booms, (Not Boons...), affair, that gets people from Wheelchair to Cockpit, with a minimum of fuss, and a maximum of congeniality.

My apologies.

¬Erindipity
Not looking for wheel chair access here. Boat, Catalina 25, is too small to begin with. My dad recently sold his boat simply due to boarding issues with his cabin cruiser on the water. I've even seen him fall deboarding a pontoon on a lift up in the Minnesota lakes. Boarding a sailboat would be even more of a challenge. Unless the process is somehow made easy, he's not likely to board a small boat ever again beyond his pontoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Quick, independent, question… Is a boat lift boon or detriment for sailboating?…

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post

EDIT:Also, you seem to be asking the same question in multiple posts. Slow down and use one..... plus, good luck with the project. Having a lift now is moot seeing as you need all your spare boat bucks to get your new project in shape.
It tends to go that way, doesn't it? Like I've mentioned, I only want to discuss this one issue independent of all the other details and nuances. All three threads have a different focus. I'm open to tips on avoiding overlap.
post #13 of 44 Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
A boat that can be stored dry - but still essentially 'ready to use' has to be a good thing (unless it's a planked wooden boat)

The lift can help or hinder boarding depending on the configuration of the lift mechanism and/or the dock/finger/walkway position and height

The lift might enhance stability for those boarding if it's still 'on the lift' at the time.. but ensure the lift has reserve weight capacity (and the bunks properly support the hull)

Lack of or reduced anti-fouling costs - however a lift will always be in the way of doing such jobs so it cannot 'eliminate' periodic haulouts for such jobs (like CB service/mtce)

It probably takes longer to lower/raise the boat before and after sailing than simply slipping the lines and going...

As mentioned in your other thread, windage overall increases, the lift does little/nothing for security in the event of storm surge, and if you upped your boat budget by the cost of the lift you'd have one cherry 25 footer (too late, I realize you've already got a fixer-upper)

Seems to me the trailer/store option (negating the need/cost of a lift for the 'in-season') makes the most financial (and security) sense, at least in the immediate term if storage can be arranged.
All other considerations aside, would you prefer to have your boat on a lift as a matter of day to day convenience, in season, or would you prefer to be on the water? IOW, is the lift LESS convenient for you, personally, in this regard? I'm simply thinking in terms of immediate convenience here.

post #14 of 44 Old 03-02-2016

Never used one, but my gut says it's simpler to untie a few lines and go.. same thing when you get back. From a pure usage aspect I wouldn't use one.

Factor in some of these other issues, though, and....??

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #15 of 44 Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Never used one, but my gut says it's simpler to untie a few lines and go.. same thing when you get back. From a pure usage aspect I wouldn't use one.

Factor in some of these other issues, though, and....??
Exactly the sort of input I'm looking for in this thread. Thank you.

Wandering outsider the lines, what effect would fairly continuous wake activity during the waking hours have on your decision? My slip is the very nearest one to our island's end drawbridge. Fortunately the other end of the island is the really busy opening, but still… Lots of boats down my way. The next island south, Lovers Key, sees pretty substantial public access launchings. And, of course, MOST boats return at the end of the day, too.
post #16 of 44 Old 03-02-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.anda View Post
Not looking for wheel chair access here. Boat, Catalina 25, is too small to begin with. My dad recently sold his boat simply due to boarding issues with his cabin cruiser on the water. I've even seen him fall deboarding a pontoon on a lift up in the Minnesota lakes. Boarding a sailboat would be even more of a challenge. Unless the process is somehow made easy, he's not likely to board a small boat ever again beyond his pontoon.
Not such a simple quick yes or no question after all?
(There are other Forums where you would have been dealt with, much less gently than here, so far.)

_Installing a Powerboat-intended "Boat Lift" for an old Catalina 25, that is worth less than the installation cost, is flighty and foolish and myopic._

My Dad, who spent decades spreading Marine Insurance from an office, just needed a firm hand under elbow to finally go Sailing with me, on my first real Big Boat.
He wore a jogging outfit just in case, and yet he didn't get seasick. We went together to Sea, at last. (Around the Farallones! Dad arranged a "Held Covered" for that one trip.)

I think that you may be grasping for a Technology Solution for something problematical a bit closer to home.
But what do I actually know?

¬Erindipity
post #17 of 44 Old 03-02-2016

Quote:
Exactly the sort of input I'm looking for in this thread. Thank you.

Wandering outsider the lines, what effect would fairly continuous wake activity during the waking hours have on your decision? .....
If it's a sufficiently wide slip and pilings, seems to me you can 'suspend' the boat in the middle with some mooring lines in 'all directions'.. that would give you space to bounce around without contacting the dock/finger, or risking 'fender rub'.. the addition of shock-absorbing bungies onto the lines would further soften things up.

One example of this idea:

DockShockle?, Black, 12" (31 cm) by Davis

If this works, your boat should weather the 'in season' traffic OK, and you'll be there to monitor your lines for chafe and wear.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #18 of 44 Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter

New pilings give me roughly 12' while keeping the old I remain at 10'. I don't mind saving $6,000, that's for sure. Now, dangit, I'm back to those pesky details.
post #19 of 44 Old 03-02-2016

Quote:
Exactly the sort of input I'm looking for in this thread.
Did you read where Faster wrote that he's never used a lift? Not that he has not taken the time to give you great input based on his experience.

I've been using my parent's boat lift since I was a little kid some 30-odd years ago. It is infinitely easier to come and go, than using lines to secure the boat, even more so if the lift is powered. Of course there are many different types of lifts and dock configurations, but I have a hard time imagining a lift that is harder to use than a dock slip. You line up that pointy part of your bow between the two runners, which are slightly angled downward to stern, and drive up on the carpeted runners, and voila, you are docked. Hit the button on the lift, and up you go.
Faster likes this.
post #20 of 44 Old 03-02-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
Not such a simple quick yes or no question after all?
(There are other Forums where you would have been dealt with, much less gently than here, so far.)

_Installing a Powerboat-intended "Boat Lift" for an old Catalina 25, that is worth less than the installation cost, is flighty and foolish and myopic._

My Dad, who spent decades spreading Marine Insurance from an office, just needed a firm hand under elbow to finally go Sailing with me, on my first real Big Boat.
He wore a jogging outfit just in case, and yet he didn't get seasick. We went together to Sea, at last. (Around the Farallones! Dad arranged a "Held Covered" for that one trip.)

I think that you may be grasping for a Technology Solution for something problematical a bit closer to home.
But what do I actually know?

¬Erindipity
I seem to specialize in ludicrous for some reason. I'm in the middle of some serious lifestyle changes in uncharted waters as far as my brain is concerned. Kind of need to get things right in a short amount of time. Nothing has proved problematic so far other than the details, of course. Thank you for your bit of whimsy in the practical, Erindipity.

The money I "saved" on my old boat actually helps finance the lift project, semi oddly enough. Had I not stumble upon my Tanbark beauty I'd probably having secured the lift first before my boat purchase. Of course, I'd still have to be sold on the lift in the first place. And that is the cause of all my hither and yon. I'm still not sold, yet sorely tempted. Anyone know where boat lift technology sat in Shakespeare's day?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in