8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 03-04-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Ease worries on night watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Very nice. Now, how about taking it rock hopping at six knots with some good New England granite to run into, instead of flimsy hollow stuff?
What are you talking about? They ran it right up onto the rocks at 4:20-4:30!

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
That was pretty cool. Can we try this at home?
Lets take the C&C and have some fun. In reality I think I would be sick doing that to a perfectly good boat.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualground View Post
[Ignore what I'm about to write if you're allergic to pedantic posts.]

Momentum is the product of mass and velocity. Nothing exponential comes into it. However, taking the boat size from a linear dimension of 31' to 38', making the simplifying assumption that the mass of a vessel is proportional to the cube of its length, would in fact multiply the momentum by about 1.84. So yes, the momentum roughly doubles for that change in length.

Momentum shouldn't be confused with kinetic energy, which is the product of mass and the square of velocity. Once again, though, an increase in mass (keeping the velocity the same) will result in only a proportional increase in kinetic energy.

It's the kinetic energy that does the damage - it takes energy to crush a hull. And in the example above, for the same change of 31' to 38', the kinetic energy would also almost double.

The difference between momentum and kinetic energy:

- Momentum is the tendency of a mass to continue moving forward at a constant velocity unless acted on by a force (as in Newton's second law of motion).

- Kinetic energy is the energy that it has as a result of its motion.
Come on! VirtualGround! Everybody already knows that!!! Kevin

post #14 of 19 Old 03-04-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Cool vid. But momentum grows exponentially with weight and speed. Take the boat size from 31 to say about 38 and momentum will double, even at the same speed.

Still, FRG is tougher than some think.
lend me your boat and let's find out

BTW - either those guys sail around in my home harbor or someone has seen the video and figures they can sail the same way

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-04-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

What, no one plays baseball?

They all switched from hardwood bats to aluminum, because a lesser mass (the aluminum bat) moving at a higher speed, imparts more kinetic energy when it hits. Force equals mass times velocity squared. So if you keep the mass the same, i.e. a smaller boat, but increase the boat speed, you impart a great deal more force in the collision than you would have by simply using a larger boat at the same (original) speed.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What, no one plays baseball?

They all switched from hardwood bats to aluminum, because a lesser mass (the aluminum bat) moving at a higher speed, imparts more kinetic energy when it hits. Force equals mass times velocity squared. So if you keep the mass the same, i.e. a smaller boat, but increase the boat speed, you impart a great deal more force in the collision than you would have by simply using a larger boat at the same (original) speed.
Right, that's why I kept velocity a constant in the point I made, as a 31 ft boat is rarely going above the reported 6.5 kts in that vid (would hull speed be about 7ish). However, the larger boat will have both more mass and more likely to have more velocity.

My gut tells me the FRG is not as exponentially stronger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-04-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"My gut tells me the FRG is not as exponentially stronger. "
All depends on the boat.
If you took a vacuum-bagged modern FRP hull, it could be lighter than an older non-bagged one, and still stronger. Or the glass layup could be stronger. Or, a "we don't know how strong this is and frp is cheap" 1960's hull and compared it to a newer one, it just might be stronger.
Of course if you T-bone a J/24 you're going to find out just how lightly a racing boat can be built.(G)
So maybe we need to take Louis and Vinnie to a boat show, with a couple lead pipes, and ask them to test the impact resistance of various bows?(G)
sharkbait likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
That was cool. Maybe the only more demanding test would be to hit something that was a little more pointy. I'm sure a lot of blue water sailors would be interested to see them hit a shipping container at hull speed.
So is that a real problem, like in the film "All is lost", for blue water sailors or is just a matter of really bad luck to find one of those containers?
post #19 of 19 Old 03-04-2016

Containers are pretty rare, but I've hit a temporary buoy placed out by the military. No damage, but scared the crap out of me.
elliowb likes this.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in