Turbo diesels - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 03-14-2016

Re: Turbo diesels

After I finished, idling a diesel is actually not good for them. As raw diesel will getinto the cylinder walls, go down into the oil, and cause issues. You do not normally get the motor up to a decent running temp such that it will last either. The ONLY reason you see big rigs idle, is so the driver can stay warm in the cab. A lot are now running auxiliary diesel gensets to run a furnace, etc inside the sleeper cabs. I recall seeing somewhere, an hour of idling is like 8-12 hours of running full throttle down the road from an engine wear stand point.

I can not personally recommend you idle ANY motor be it gas, diesel, propane or what ever for very long. Then you are hurting yourself more than helping. Most newer rigs in the OM will state do not idle etc.

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 03-14-2016 Thread Starter

Great posts

So another habit bits the dust. Our routine has been turn on engine, get boat ready, leave. Dock/moor/anchor turn it off. In both cases ~5 minutes of running with no load. Was told diesels like to run under load and don't with no load.

Is running the engine for a few minutes with no load at start up and shut down really bad for it?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #43 of 47 Old 03-14-2016

I personally prefer to idle as little as possible.
As soon as I am tied to the dock, off goes the motor. If I have race crew/kids on board, motor is off before they tie the boat up, ie as soon as they are off the boat, and have line around the cleats etc. Altho my 6500 lb boat is probably easier to handle than a 20-40K lb 46' cruising boat! so a bit more idle may be needed with two peeps onboard, or in my case if alone, Idle until I get things tied up, then turn off.

Turn on, untie take.

If really cold, put the trans in neutral, turn up the motor to say 1200-1500 rpm vs idle at 600-800.

Newer motors like to be idled as little as possible.

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

post #44 of 47 Old 03-14-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Wow lots of stuff in this thread that contradicts what I had always thought true.

Most yachts now come with turbos. I know that there are some yachts supplied with Turbo Diesels but I had always thought they were in a minority.

Turbo diesels can only idle if the turbo fails. I used to carry out a series demonstrations for my motor vehicle students which included running with a seized turbo. Yup lots of smoke but it still produced about half rated power at max revs. A modern turbo diesel with a engine management system will have a limp home mode which it will enter if the turbo fails. You will get more than idle but not full revs.

Injectors can only be stored for a short time. I don't know if this applies to the latest common rail injectors but the older type is sprayed with WD 40 and kept in a Ziplock back they keep just about forever.

Shell Rotella is dead dino oil. Well I think that depends on exactly WHICH Rotella we are taliking about eg. Shell Rotella® T5 is a Synthetic Blend Heavy Duty Engine Oil
post #45 of 47 Old 03-15-2016 Thread Starter

I'm with you TQA. Finding out a lot I thought was gospel just ain't true anymore. In the road vehicles have been using full synthetic for years now but in the boat use Rotella for both genset and engine. Figure it's more important to change oils frequently in the boat even when hours don't demand it just to get acids and impurities out as don't want them sitting in those key devices. Thought the extra expense of full synthetics not worth it. Haven't been doing just the spring and fall changes for some years now.

Still know I get better mpg with full synthetics in road vehicles. Wonder how this translates to boat engines?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #46 of 47 Old 03-15-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I was being ironic.
post #47 of 47 Old 03-15-2016 Thread Starter

So I'm confused. Please be specific about what irony.
For now will believe what yanmar tells me.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in