$#!@&* Monsters Ate My Mainsail - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 03-11-2016

Re: $#[email protected]&* Monsters Ate My Mainsail

Ugh. I feel for you. We had mice (or something) chew through the seams of our inflatable dinghy that we had stored in our garage one winter. We had just bought it the previous season. We have a hard dink now.

Good luck.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 03-11-2016
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
Ugh. I feel for you. We had mice (or something) chew through the seams of our inflatable dinghy that we had stored in our garage one winter. We had just bought it the previous season. We have a hard dink now.

Good luck.
Oops! Our inflatable is sitting in our garage under wraps even now. Given your experience, I shudder at what I might discover when we unwrap it (fingers and toes crossed!)

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #13 of 36 Old 03-11-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
You have our sympathy for your injury/loss. It is, however, an object lesson and reinforcement of the idea that it is wise to remove and safely store one's sails during winter layup.
Yeah, right.

There's no real "safe place" to store your sails. I've spoken to people who've had their sails eaten in attics, basements, garages, storage sheds, and storage units and "on the boom". Even sail lofts have had customers' sails eaten because the employees were bad about leaving food scraps laying around to entice pests.

The best pest mitigation that I'm aware of, is roller furling and if you don't have that, frequent inspection of the sails that involves opening up the storage bag and shaking them out to get rid of pests.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #14 of 36 Old 03-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Yeah, right.

There's no real "safe place" to store your sails. I've spoken to people who've had their sails eaten in attics, basements, garages, storage sheds, and storage units and "on the boom". Even sail lofts have had customers' sails eaten because the employees were bad about leaving food scraps laying around to entice pests.

The best pest mitigation that I'm aware of, is roller furling and if you don't have that, frequent inspection of the sails that involves opening up the storage bag and shaking them out to get rid of pests.
I have found that the guest bedroom is a perfectly safe place to store sails... Until my wife finds out they are there, then it is decidedly not safe for me.
sharkbait, cb32863 and aelkin like this.

Greg
post #15 of 36 Old 03-11-2016
Barquito

Quote:
You have our sympathy for your injury/loss. It is, however, an object lesson and reinforcement of the idea that it is wise to remove and safely store one's sails during winter layup.
Remove everything from the boat that could be chewed up. Sails, cushions, large blocks of cheese... Store them in your house. If you have mice, rats, or squirrels in you house, get rid of them. Maybe a few traps near your sailing goodies would provide peace of mind.

Valiant 32
post #16 of 36 Old 03-11-2016

I never store anything in my shed that can be eaten by squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, etc..., all of which have called the shed home at one time or another. My basement office is where I store my sails, which is kept mice free with Decon. And, since a number of snakes discovered that my shed had mice, the mouse problem was quickly solved by the reptiles, some of which measured up to 7 feet in length. Believe me, when I go to get my garden tractor out of the shed, I look inside carefully before stepping through the door.

Gary
post #17 of 36 Old 03-11-2016

https://youtu.be/dv5RICL4gIs Install one of these. LOL
sharkbait and fred1diver like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to uncle stinky bob For This Useful Post:
sharkbait (03-13-2016)
post #18 of 36 Old 03-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Yeah, right.

Around here I can get 55 gallon recycled plastic drums for about $25. They have a full sized lid and are water tight. Perfect for storing sail's in for the winter, protects everything from everything.

P.S. except fire.
MarcStAug likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to uncle stinky bob For This Useful Post:
Matt_VA (03-12-2016)
post #19 of 36 Old 03-11-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

USB- That's a great idea.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #20 of 36 Old 03-11-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Anybody heard the phrase "a ship in mothballs" ?

USN procedure used to be to put big mothball blocks (camphor or para) in a stored ship. They both sublimate at room temperature, and leave a very slight film on everything that prevents corrosion. And, especially para, the vapors are toxic to pretty much anything, so it repels bugs, squirrels, even deer. Note, toxic to humans too.

I take a couple of boxes of mothballs and scatter them in the bilge, in the mast, everywhere including in the sails before packing them up for the winter. In the spring, you have to open some ventilation and then gtf out of Dodge while the vapors are being cleared out. But you'll probably find that nothing has made a home in the boat, or the sails, if you've used mothballs. Which Grandma would be amazed to find, the EPA classifies as an insecticide and hazardous material these days, because it does the job so well.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Tags
insurance , mainsail , squirrels , vermin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in