Did my first race yesterday - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2016 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Did my first race yesterday

I'm relatively new to sailing. I took by first lessons 3-4 years ago on a flying scot and was hooked. I bought a 27' old, beater sailboat and practiced on it pretty regularly. This past summer, we bought a much nicer, new boat. I raced it for the first time yesterday. I was worried about the start, the tactics and missing a mark or doing something else that might ruin the day but everything went really well. It was a clean race in fairly tough conditions and I finished with no penalties or mishaps. I wasn't worried about where I finished so that really isn't part of my evaluation of the day. It was a 12 mile race on a technical course under fairly rough conditions and I finished. I've been feeling good about it all day today so I thought I'd post. There was no trophy for placing but I have a t-shirt from the day that I'll wear with some degree of pride.
jephotog, BarryL, Donna_F and 4 others like this.

Do or do not... There is no try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2016

Re: Did my first race yesterday

Oh oh... You're hooked! Good job! I DSQ'd my first race. (Didn't know the rules.) It's still a thrill after 40 years.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2016

Good on you! A lot of people say they finish "DFL" for there first race . . .

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2016

Good for you! That kind of low stress racing ( sounds like a fairly casual fleet?) will teach you a lot, and you'll get to know a lot of good, like-minded people!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 12 Old 03-13-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
Good on you! A lot of people say they finish "DFL" for there first race . . .
We pulled a couple of "DES" last year running the course before being properly registered. Stayed out of the way of coarse.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-13-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fau View Post
I'm relatively new to sailing. I took by first lessons 3-4 years ago on a flying scot and was hooked. I bought a 27' old, beater sailboat and practiced on it pretty regularly. This past summer, we bought a much nicer, new boat. I raced it for the first time yesterday. I was worried about the start, the tactics and missing a mark or doing something else that might ruin the day but everything went really well. It was a clean race in fairly tough conditions and I finished with no penalties or mishaps. I wasn't worried about where I finished so that really isn't part of my evaluation of the day. It was a 12 mile race on a technical course under fairly rough conditions and I finished. I've been feeling good about it all day today so I thought I'd post. There was no trophy for placing but I have a t-shirt from the day that I'll wear with some degree of pride.
We are racing with three generations on board this year and last. Our Thursday night series is the highlight of the week. Enjoy, and I like the T shirts too.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2016

Congrats! I have my first race coming up in April (Sunfish). Bought it last summer and have been sailing it fairly frequently. Time to take the "plunge". A little apprehensive but I know it's going to be a good learning experience.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-15-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Really this cruiser-focused forum doesn't want to keel-haul someone who gulp, "enjoyed" racing?

You know racing leads to non blue-water capable boats right? Eventually you'll be yelling things like "Starboard!" in your sleep.
Family members will be wondering why you are always trimming sails.
What good is a boat that does not have Hot/Cold pressure water systems anyway?
Laminate sails are faster than dacron you know...
Just ribbing...

Sounds like a fun race for sure.

Spoken by a guy who has more money (officially) tied up in sails than the purchase of his (well used) sailboat.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #9 of 12 Old 03-15-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Really this cruiser-focused forum doesn't want to keel-haul someone who gulp, "enjoyed" racing?

You know racing leads to non blue-water capable boats right? Eventually you'll be yelling things like "Starboard!" in your sleep.
Family members will be wondering why you are always trimming sails.
What good is a boat that does not have Hot/Cold pressure water systems anyway?
Laminate sails are faster than dacron you know...
Just ribbing...

Sounds like a fun race for sure.

Spoken by a guy who has more money (officially) tied up in sails than the purchase of his (well used) sailboat.
Yep, this. You dun did it now. RACE ON
post #10 of 12 Old 03-17-2016

I'm still working on acquiring a boat and very interested in racing someday. I watch as much as I can online just to try and understand the who, why, where. My biggest downfall is that I want to be comfortable on all those sunny days I'm not racing, so I expect that my boat will be at the end of the pack, but my crew will have had the largest consumption of cold beers per nm. Great job on getting over the start line without hitting anything!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in