Originally Posted by willyd View Post
You forgot:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

Re: Can a dog end a dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Do what is best for your family member and find someone who will care for them while you are gone, that will fulfill there emotional needs, rather than your own.
Don't know how you can make this determination unless you yourself know the emotional needs of this particular dog.
post #33 of 84 Old 03-16-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Don't know how you can make this determination unless you yourself know the emotional needs of this particular dog.
Well seems to me that keeping a dog cooped up on a boat for months at a time is certainly more for the emotional needs of the owner rather than the dog. That is why I am making the choice to not have any pets anymore, to be able to have the freedom to come and go as I please.
MarkofSeaLife and jwing like this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

post #34 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

Our Skippy (Sheltie) died back in 2006 after having him since birth at 6 weeks we got him for our young children... in fact it was one our 'kids' and we loved him dearly... but we need to realize it is dog... Yes we have emotional attachments to our dogs, cats, birds, etc... Reality is sometimes you must do what is best for the animals even if it means euthanizing them (not that this is the discussion of this thread). But if I had to make a choice of cruising without the dog/cat or not cruising because of the dog/cat then I would choose the cruising without and perhaps join them at a later date. That's me and others may choose somewhat different. We still miss our Skippy though but we will never replace him.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #35 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well seems to me that keeping a dog cooped up on a boat for months at a time is certainly more for the emotional needs of the owner rather than the dog.
This is still just speculation and you are using your speculation for accusation and judgement.
post #36 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
This is still just speculation
Maybe, but most dogs need some amount of exercise and activity to be happy and healthy. My old girl (yellow lab) is getting up there in age, but even at 11 she needs some time outside each day sniffing around and walking with us or she starts getting very antsy around the house. When younger, she needed a whole lot more.

The OP is proposing an extended cruise through the South Pacific without ever taking the dog ashore. Again, we don't know what breed of dog, but for many dogs this is a very bad idea for their health and well being. That's not speculation, that's fact.
post #37 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
You forgot:
LOL. I think that is a native species.
jwing likes this.

Joe
Beneteau First 265, VT
OPB, FL
post #38 of 84 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

Too many answers to do via quotes so:

Our dog is a small Maltese Terrier who is sedentary by nature and would prefer to sit on your lap than walk across the lawn. He is also the type that sulks when either one of us leaves him for any length of time. I know that some of you might say we're pathetic but it is what it is. In our case "home" is a presence, not a place.

Unlike Johnny Depp (whoever he is) we're not coming to NZ from some undefined disease environment. All of the areas we're touching are certified rabies free and our dog has been treated at the top level against the disease. The odds of another dog that is rabies-infected coming aboard our boat to infect our dog are easily as high as winning two lottos on the same day. So as far as we're concerned, in our case the rules are arcane. But we understand also that rules are not customisable.

Just for interest are other posters aware that in Tonga, if you take an unauthorised animal ashore it is likely to be euthanised right there? We're not going to be exposing our dog to that possibility.

Hypothetically, if you were unable to take your wife ashore for any reason (can't think of one but for purposes of the discussion), you would leave her at home? Good luck with that.

Since I am "forced" to register my boat as a NZ vessel, is it not reasonable to assume that the vessel is NZ soil? In which case the dog is actually not leaving the country.

So I guess that leaving him behind is the best choice but here lies the real dilemma. My wife is that emotionally attached to him that even if we did leave him behind this time, it would probably not happen a second time and my dream does not comprise one trip to an island group.

No, I'm not looking for reasons to "let it go". I have done voyages far greater than going to an island up the road - voyaging doesn't scare us. But I am reluctant to spend thousands of additional dollars to get to Cat1 status in vain. I've already spent $20k to achieve Cat1 and am only halfway there.

Cruising NZ is on our itinerary but is intended to be our summer activity. Sailing the tropics is the winter objective. Also, as far as cruising grounds in NZ go, we live and play in the best of them an going to others is almost seen as our "duty".

And finally, my dog is not an insect looking for a new home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #39 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

I believe as long as a dog is with the ones he loves and loves him, they are happy no matter where they are at. I know my dog would go through hell and back with me rather than being away from me and with strangers.
Omatako likes this.
post #40 of 84 Old 03-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Maybe, but most dogs need some amount of exercise and activity to be happy and healthy. Again, we don't know what breed of dog, but for many dogs this is a very bad idea for their health and well being. That's not speculation, that's fact.
It is speculation as as you can see with with your qualifications of the above statements using 'most' and 'many'. To argue any differently is illogical and that is fact.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in