Dinghy? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 03-21-2016
Load Bearing Member

Dock
Re: Dinghy?

I intend to tow my WM WaterTender 9.4 during our cruise this summer.

I need to rig a bridle for towing so I can use the 'trailer eye' for my back up line.

It doesn't have a drain plug, that might be a problem.

It's only a 2 week trip, I'll see how it goes.

Ken
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
I intend to tow my WM WaterTender 9.4 during our cruise this summer.

I need to rig a bridle for towing so I can use the 'trailer eye' for my back up line.

It doesn't have a drain plug, that might be a problem.

It's only a 2 week trip, I'll see how it goes.

Ken
Those are nice little boats, great price to, made of poly thats nice. The price is sure right. I'm thinking it should track well under tow with the tri-hull. It seems to me like the perfect tender. I'd really like to hear how you like it, if you could post your finding's, maybe a picture of how you rig it to tow. Thanks Carbon!
post #13 of 24 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hard dinghys are great in crocodile country!

in many emergencies I gave used my dink to push boats with engine problems, and when dragging. One can't with a hard dink without damage.

The best guess of usefulness is to go to the local dinghy dock and count the ratios of hard to soft. Most places RIBs win hands down. (Exception being Northern Australia...)
Ha Ha! Croc's? you make me grateful for my rather cold home water's!! LOL very good point about damage done with a tinny.

post #14 of 24 Old 03-23-2016
GMC

For the type of cruising OP indicates he does, I think a hard dinghy is ideal. I tow a beat up 7' 11" improperly on a single line and it skims right along. At anchor, the wind and current do not permit the dinghy bumping or rubbing the sailboat. I can choose to use a little outboard when I'm lazy, or can drop in and row (which, solo in a hard dinghy reminds me why I like boats). I don't have to pump it up, stow it, wrestle with it over the side. I have an inflatable that I use on occasion as a freight and people hauler, then leave it on the mooring. Certainly inflatable more comfortable sometimes for extended stays at an anchorage, but not enough to make me switch.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
For the type of cruising OP indicates he does, I think a hard dinghy is ideal. ..... At anchor, the wind and current do not permit the dinghy bumping or rubbing the sailboat......
The problem with that last statement is that, esp in the PNW one often gets a wind and/or tide reversal a couple of times a day, or an utterly windless night in a bay where tidal currents are not present or consistent.

That's when you get the 3am 'thump-thump'...'thumpity-thump' that disturbs your beauty rest. For rowing I agree a hard dinghy is great, but I don't think a 12 foot aluminum cartopper really fits the bill.

A whitehall dinghy alongside properly fendered, that's another thing..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #16 of 24 Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The problem with that last statement is that, esp in the PNW one often gets a wind and/or tide reversal a couple of times a day, or an utterly windless night in a bay where tidal currents are not present or consistent.

That's when you get the 3am 'thump-thump'...'thumpity-thump' that disturbs your beauty rest. For rowing I agree a hard dinghy is great, but I don't think a 12 foot aluminum cartopper really fits the bill.

A whitehall dinghy alongside properly fendered, that's another thing..
OH a Whitehall........I wish!
post #17 of 24 Old 03-23-2016
Hi-Tech Redneck

We tow our 9' Fatty Knees and it's great, glides on the second wave back with negligible drag. I bet it doesn't cost us .25 knts.
Use a Samson floating painter, double-braid with an inner core of polypropylene so it floats. Avoids some prop fouling.

Integral skeg helps it track straight, no slewing around. Hoist it up on deck with halyard and 3-point rig in weather or big chop.

Foam padded 3/4 round 1.5" diameter canvas gunnel guards help prevent deck damage, as well as hull rash when alongside.

We have a 4hp outboard, but usually leave it home and prefer to just row instead. Peaceful.

Granted, we haven't had it turtle, so far, knock on teak.

We "HEART" our Fatty Knees!
post #18 of 24 Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSoundWave View Post
We tow our 9' Fatty Knees and it's great, glides on the second wave back with negligible drag. I bet it doesn't cost us .25 knts.
Use a Samson floating painter, double-braid with an inner core of polypropylene so it floats. Avoids some prop fouling.

Integral skeg helps it track straight, no slewing around. Hoist it up on deck with halyard and 3-point rig in weather or big chop.

Foam padded 3/4 round 1.5" diameter canvas gunnel guards help prevent deck damage, as well as hull rash when alongside.

We have a 4hp outboard, but usually leave it home and prefer to just row instead. Peaceful.

Granted, we haven't had it turtle, so far, knock on teak.

We "HEART" our Fatty Knees!
Very nice set up!! I'm looking at options for gunnel padding also. I like the idea of canvas covering gunnel on dink! Well done, thanks!!
post #19 of 24 Old 03-23-2016

Regular (split) foam pipe insulation makes for great gunwale padding on a hard dinghy.. Cheap, carry some spares.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #20 of 24 Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Regular (split) foam pipe insulation makes for great gunwale padding on a hard dinghy.. Cheap, carry some spares.
Nice! someone else suggested that, with a canvas cover fit over the foam. I like the idea. Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in