Dinghy? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 03-23-2016
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Dinghy?

Yep, the gunwhale guard is nice. Fatty Knees directed me to source it from Hamilton Marine (search for "3/4 round")

They make it in 1/2 round (not as useful for hull rash prevention, but it depends on your dinghy's caprail) and 3/4 round.

Comes in 1.25, 1.5 or 2 inch diameter. My 9' Fatty Knees took 24 feet of the stuff.
TomMaine and uncle stinky bob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 03-23-2016
Old as Dirt!

Friends of ours sailing a Catalina 42 announced their intention to tow an 11' Boston Whaler behind their boat to the Bahamas and beyond last year. From the Tampa Bay area that is a long trip with boisterous seas/winds between Rodriguez Key and Bimini and I expressed some misgivings as to the wisdom of the effort. Our pals had installed a "self bailar" in the back of dinghy and expressed confidence that they'd be fine towing the thing on a bridle off the stern quarter. Upon their return, 3 months later, they reported that the tow had "...worked like a charm" but that they had screwed fendering to the dinghy's gunnels while laying over in George Town to keep it from "thumping" the boat when side-tied fore'n aft. And, with a 15hp outboard, they had easily gone all over "heck's half acre" while on their travels.

FWIW...
uncle stinky bob likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #23 of 24 Old 03-27-2016 Thread Starter

I decided to take the hard dink. 1967 Valco, 3" deep I-beam keel (should tow well) and 4 heavy pads weld to bottom of stern to protect when beaching. Its got a wide beam, should be great for pulling crab & shrimp pots, fishing, whatever. I'll wrap the gunwhales in rub strake and call it good. If it doesn't work out for me, my grandson gets a great little boat. Thanks for all the opinions, pro or con, it was all helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
20160324_125844.jpg   20160324_125834.jpg   20160324_125904.jpg  

Last edited by uncle stinky bob; 03-27-2016 at 10:50 AM.

post #24 of 24 Old 03-27-2016
Boat Bum

Looks like a great addition to the fleet, congratulations.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in