Dinghy? - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter

Dinghy?

Looking for pro and cons of towing a hard dingy? I've towed inflatables, but never hard. I need a new dingy and as I was looking at inflatable price's, a friend offered me a old used 12' aluminum Valco, nice and wide in beam, great shape, for free, great price! I like the idea of a hard dingy for fishing out of and such. I would tow with at the most a crab pot or two lashed in. I'm not a blue water guy, just coastal and P.N.W.
Thanks for any experience shared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-20-2016

re: Dinghy?

Don't know about the dinghy your contemplating but hard dinghies should tow way better than a rubber one. That is if they don't fill with water or turn turtle. For local cruising, should be fine. My 8' sailing dink lives on the foredeck, have never tried to tow it.
uncle stinky bob likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-20-2016

My dinghy, a homebuilt D4, tows high and dry like a leaf on the water. Chesapeake Bay. It will fit on the foredeck in a pinch, but it hasn't been necessary so far.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-20-2016

With a substantial boat towing a dinghy is a slight slowdown but when the dinghy gets too big to fit on board you really don't have much choice. Dinghies that deflect spray rather than collect it are preferred.. on a choppy day a towed dinghy can ship enough water to be a problem (you can get one-way transom drain plugs.. recommended)

The bigger issue for me is securing the dinghy quietly alonside at night, and the attendant risk of dinghy rash (rather than dock rash) to your topsides finish, esp with a metal 'hard' dinghy. A wooden or plastic hard dinghy will be much friendlier to your paint or gelcoat.

I think you have to do a LOT of fishing and other activities where this sort of dinghy makes sense to make it worthwhile.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 24 Old 03-20-2016

With aluminum boats it's hard to say if it will pull straight untill you try it: Some never stop weaving!....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #6 of 24 Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Dinghy?

Thanks for the response, I think I'm going to stick with inflatable for some of the stated reason's here. I'd rather have it secure on board lashed to foredeck or deflated, tucked away. One less thing to have to think about as single hand. Thanks again! a friend of mine like's to say, A smart man learns from his mistake's, a wise man learns from other's mistake's. I do appreciate the wisdom here.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-21-2016
Closet Powerboater

I never, ever, EVER. Ever tow a dinghy anymore.

Occasionally, when tempted, my wife, who only heard stories of, but was not witness to, my many mishaps, reminds me to never tow.

Unexpected weather when towing a dink is an awful thing. Unexpected weather at anchor with a dink in the water sucks too.

Dink line in the prop? Also sucks.

Anchor or other issues require that you move the mothership in the middle of the night? Dinghy on a leash an the dark sucks.

You know what never sucks? Good, easy to use davits. Hoist the dinghy every night (because it's built into the system to be easy) and you never have towing issues, you're theft-proof and ready to weigh anchor in an emergency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-21-2016
Closet Powerboater

In addition, the Portland Pudgy is an AWESOME dink. Owned and abused mine full time for about 6 years now. Still love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-21-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

For many years both Sunsail and Moorings provided their charters with a hard dink about 11ft long. These were towed on passage. Passages were interisland and often pretty rorty. I did not hear of significant losses.

However over the years I have seen a couple of swamped hard dinks being dragged in SLOWLY.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-21-2016

Dock

Hard dinghys are great in crocodile country!

in many emergencies I gave used my dink to push boats with engine problems, and when dragging. One can't with a hard dink without damage.

The best guess of usefulness is to go to the local dinghy dock and count the ratios of hard to soft. Most places RIBs win hands down. (Exception being Northern Australia...)

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in