Price check on 87 com-pac 16? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter

Price check on 87 com-pac 16?

I know asking for what a both is worth can be an exercise in fuility...One person will say it's worth every penny and how much is your enjoyment worth to you. The next will say they wouldn't pay more than $5 dollars and how they just bought a brand new such and such for $4...I'm looking for some opinions in the middle. I'm going tomorrow to see a 1987 compac 16. The owner is asking for $4700, I looked at the 87 16's that sold on sailing texas and this seems a bit high...Here are the photos and some specs...what do you think?

- 16 feet LOA ; 6 foot beam
- 1100 pounds
- bow sprit w/roller (for anchoring)
- cuddy cabin, sleeps 2 adults
- fixed shoal keel; 18 inch draft; good for gunkholing
- tanbark (maroon) main and jib; good condition
- new rigging lines; wire topping lift; reefing gear
- halyards led to cockpit
- electrical and lights throughout; battery w/case
- new spring loaded, adjustable motor mount for easy lifting
- boarding ladder on stern
- Hutch galvanized trailer (good condition) with many upgrades and
folding tongue for garage storage
- owners manual

Extras
- bimini
- ida foil rudder
- cowl vent and round hatch on bow deck
- new tires, bearing buddies and more on trailer
- mast crutch
- ablative bottom paint
- refinished interior
- vinyl cockpit cushions
- new tiller and sail covers

BOAT: asking price for boat alone : $3900 or best offer

MOTOR: 2015 Nissan 4hp Longshaft : $750 (new $1100)
(5 yr warranty with papers and low hours)

BOAT and MOTOR : $4650

_DSC0026 by Dom, on Flickr

_DSC0019 by Dom, on Flickr

_DSC0015 by Dom, on Flickr

_DSC0009 by Dom, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2016

Re: Price check on 87 com-pac 16?

Com-Pac seem to hold their value compared to most other boats of their size. If it's in very good condition, that price does not surprise me, particularly with a trailer. Although, the seller would typically expect you would make an offer below asking price. I'm guess their price point isn't that far below this.

Nice little package (I've been tempted to get one of these for a lake near the house). Hope it works out and you enjoy her for many years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

I've seen early 80s C-16s with trailers in only OK shape selling at $3000... so that price seems pretty in line if its in nearly as nice a shape as it looks.

The PRICE frankly is only as much as anyone is willing to pay... Others here will argue otherwise, but that's indisputable fact. If you offer $3500, and nobody else has offered for quite some time on the market.. then it might be enough.

The C-16 is one of my favorite cruisy little trailerables.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
I've seen early 80s C-16s with trailers in only OK shape selling at $3000... so that price seems pretty in line if its in nearly as nice a shape as it looks.

The PRICE frankly is only as much as anyone is willing to pay... Others here will argue otherwise, but that's indisputable fact. If you offer $3500, and nobody else has offered for quite some time on the market.. then it might be enough.

The C-16 is one of my favorite cruisy little trailerables.
The PRICE frankly is only as much as anyone is willing to pay... AT A SPECIFIC POINT IN TIME.

I have said before that a boat in bristol condition is worth far more than a boat needing ANY repairs.

If it is as nice as it looks in these pictures, would you be disappointed if someone else bought the boat out from you by offering $1000 more than you did? How about $500? How about $200...

If I were interested, and it is perfect I'd either offer full asking, or $3900 for boat, trailer and motor. I would also make clear that my offer would expire 48 hours from when you extend it, and once the offer is off the table, you are not coming back at ANY price.

Good luck, and I hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-25-2016 at 09:09 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2016

If it i s in the exact condition as displayed in the pictures give him the money and take the boat. Finding clean used boats is an exercise in futility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I know asking for what a both is worth can be an exercise in fuility...One person will say it's worth every penny and how much is your enjoyment worth to you. The next will say they wouldn't pay more than $5 dollars and how they just bought a brand new such and such for $4...I'm looking for some opinions in the middle. I'm going tomorrow to see a 1987 compac 16. The owner is asking for $4700, I looked at the 87 16's that sold on sailing texas and this seems a bit high...Here are the photos and some specs...what do you think?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2016

I recently restored a Compac 16 and sold it for close to the asking price on the boat you are going to look at. From the pics I can see a lot of owner added extras such as stainless bow pulpit, bimini top, bow hatch, jib sheet traveler, foiled rudder, etc. The owner is asking a decent price for what the boat seems to offer.

Tags
com-pac , compac , trailersailor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in