Canvas Treatment/Waterproofing - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 03-27-2016

Re: Canvas Treatment/Waterproofing

Make sure you use the right 303. There is an "Aerospace" product and a fabric protector. DO NOT use the Aerospace stuff...I speak from experience! Tuned the bimini into a sieve! Lucky for me, I scrubbed it off with soap and water and the 303 fabroc protector went on and stayed on.

And, we have some of that starlight effect in our bimini yet we get no leaks, even in a few places where it puddles up or when it rains HARD. We are on year 8 with our sunbrella bimini, the last 4.5 years full time cruising.
smurphny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 03-28-2016

"ScotchGuard" was reformulated in 2000 to be less potentially environmentally dangerous. The original formulation would last approximately 5+ years (half life) in service; the new enviro-friendly version only last a few months (half life).
The original formulation contained PFOS, one of the most stable chemicals ever synthesized. The reason for the abandonment was that since its one of 'the' most stable compounds ever produced, no one can predict the long term effects on the environment, people and animals, etc. PFOS was beginning to show up in the background chemistry of 'all' animals ... the stuff was beginning to be found 'everywhere and within every living organism'. Quite 'responsible' to remove it from the marketplace.
more:
The Inside Story: 3M and Scotchgard Note: this is a 10 page sequence report. You have to 'click' on next page on each page to read the entirety of the report
smurphny likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 03-28-2016 at 06:49 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I've noticed that my dodger and sail cover seem to be getting a bit faded and ready for some kind of treatment. Have seen a few different products and am inclined to use the Scotchguard line if only because they've been around forever. Has anyone tried the other brands like Starbright for comparison. I think I used Starbright last time; about three years ago. It worked ok but it seems that it has dissipated. How often do others recoat?
Do you tend to use your dodger all year long? If so, there are many types of hard materials that dodger tops/roofs can be made of. Just google diy dodger, "hard tops".

post #14 of 16 Old 03-28-2016 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabeau View Post
Do you tend to use your dodger all year long? If so, there are many types of hard materials that dodger tops/roofs can be made of. Just google diy dodger, "hard tops".
Have thought about building a hard dodger but I like to be able to collapse a dodger completely for carrying the mast bow to stern, low and stable, under low obstructions. The mast sits nicely from pulpit to pulpit without any huge sawhorse construction:-). I do my own sewing, so making replacements are not big expense items.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-28-2016 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
"ScotchGuard" was reformulated in 2000 to be less potentially environmentally dangerous. The original formulation would last approximately 5+ years (half life) in service; the new enviro-friendly version only last a few months (half life).
The original formulation contained PFOS, one of the most stable chemicals ever synthesized. The reason for the abandonment was that since its one of 'the' most stable compounds ever produced, no one can predict the long term effects on the environment, people and animals, etc. PFOS was beginning to show up in the background chemistry of 'all' animals ... the stuff was beginning to be found 'everywhere and within every living organism'. Quite 'responsible' to remove it from the marketplace.
more:
The Inside Story: 3M and Scotchgard Note: this is a 10 page sequence report. You have to 'click' on next page on each page to read the entirety of the report
As usual, a lot of great information. Thanks Rich. Makes one wonder how this issue, with such widespread contamination, seems to have had minimal coverage by media. Our generation has lived through so many chemical poisoning events it's amazing any of us has survived:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 03-28-2016 at 11:45 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
more:
Yup, squares with my experience.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in