Clipper Around the World!!!! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 03-29-2016

Re: Clipper Around the World!!!!

You don't have to do the whole race. You can pay to do a leg. I thought it only cost 40,000 pounds for the entire race. Not sure if that converts to 100k. I've been thinking of doing the So. Africa to Australia leg. You get 3 or 4 weeks of training before the race, which in itself could be useful. But I would have to travel to England or Australia for the training, so there is travel expense on top of the fee they charge. I've been "accepted" to the program, but still not sure if I will pull the trigger. In addition to racing on an open 70, you get to meet Sir Robin Knox Johnson too!
capecodda likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter

Yeah, I came up with the 100 grand thusly...60 grand in dollars for the circumnavigation and I just added 30 for getting to a training center in England or Australia and paying for room and board while training. Congratulations on getting accepted. Doing a leg is an idea for sure. That's a pretty cool deal, let us know if you decide to go. Gotta go buy my lotto ticket! kevin
Slayer likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-29-2016

I did the first 4 legs of Clipper 11-12 and it did not cost me 100k! As someone said, you can do only one leg for much less. It was the experience of a lifetime! It is the closest as you can get to doing the Volvo as an a amateur. One of the last true great adventures on Earth!

post #14 of 16 Old 04-01-2016
Lake Sailor

FATALITY STATEMENT - SARAH YOUNG

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-01-2016
Anarchist in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Yeah, I came up with the 100 grand thusly...60 grand in dollars for the circumnavigation and I just added 30 for getting to a training center in England or Australia and paying for room and board while training. Congratulations on getting accepted. Doing a leg is an idea for sure. That's a pretty cool deal, let us know if you decide to go. Gotta go buy my lotto ticket! kevin
Getting accepted?? LOL your checks just gotta clear.

I know one of the guys doing a leg this year. Totally an average sailor. Hell I turned him down to sail with us for a race; I had much better prospects.

If there is fault to all the deaths that are occurring, its that 'pay-to-play' ocean racing is probably a bad idea.

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-14-2016

The skipper of Ichorcoal, the boat that suffered the two fatalities this year, is stepping down after they reach Seattle. That must be a heavy weight to carry around on your shoulders.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in