A good explanation of rigging a spinnaker.. - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Ajax_MD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter

A good explanation of rigging a spinnaker..

and how (in my experience) there are about 12 ways to screw it up and you won't know it til you try to hoist, and I can usually think of 8 or 9 of them (I reminded myself of this once again last Sunday courtesy of jib sheets fouling spinny):

This from the movie "Body Heat", with William Hurt and Mickey Rourke at the top of their games--just mentally substitute the word "spinnaker" for "murder and arson" ;-)

Enjoy, especially if you like metaphors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2016

Re: A good explanation of rigging a spinnaker..

I used mine for the first time at the weekend - I flew it backwards, on the wrong side of the pole. I was wondering why it wouldn't go DDW! Doh!

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I used mine for the first time at the weekend - I flew it backwards, on the wrong side of the pole. I was wondering why it wouldn't go DDW! Doh!
That's good, but you haven't hit the "Big Time" 'til you've raised it upside down, and sideways.

In front of the yacht club...

Or at the second windward mark of a really big race..

;-)

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
that's good, but you haven't hit the "big time" 'til you've raised it upside down, and sideways.

;-)
lmfao!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1955 Børresen Dragon Class, "Tip"

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep" - John Keats
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
That's good, but you haven't hit the "Big Time" 'til you've raised it upside down, and sideways.

;-)
Try it some time. Of course, that means figuring out how to get the Pole up to the Masthead, but note that the working belly of the sail is above all the fouled wind that the others are dealing with.

Another advantage of an upside down spinnaker among friends- it can be shared:

¬Erindipity
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I singlehand my symmetric often. I haven't hoisted it sideway/upside down yet, but I've had some pretty choice wraps around the forestay during gybes.
Sometimes I was able to un-gybe and re-gybe the wraps out, and sometimes I have to drag the whole mess down, re-rig and re-launch.

The power that a spinnaker has is amazing, to my mind. On my boat, a hot reach even in light air will really get her truckin'.
I singlehanded a race from Annapolis to Oxford last summer. Downwind nearly all the way. The wind built to nearly 20 near the end of the downwind leg. I don't mind admitting that I was pretty intimidated. The tiller pilot doesn't react fast enough when she gets rolling, and I *need* the boat DDW to get the chute down.

After 2 tries, there was a lull in the rollers long enough for the TP to hold me on course. Quickest douse I ever made. Barely had time to make the sign of the cross before I blew the halyard. Good times.

Edit- Here's a minute of footage during the ALDR. Ideal conditions, no scary winds, but the A and B boats were overhauling me pretty quick, which was intimidating.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Last edited by Ajax_MD; 04-06-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in