Newport 31 and Islander 30 questions - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OdayDave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-06-2016 Thread Starter

Newport 31 and Islander 30 questions

I'm looking at a couple of boats now that 5-6 foot-itus has set in. I currently sail an O'Day 25 with an inboard on Lake Michigan and have enjoyed sailing the boat for the last 5 years. It's fine for coastal sailing and occasional crossings, but it get's a little tight when cruising for a week and so the admiral has suggested (perhaps not vetoed is a better characterization) a larger boat. I'm looking in the 30-32 ft. range. I've found a couple of boats in decent shape that fit the bill, but both have one issue that gives me some concern.

One is a 1985 Islander 30 with a fin keel and a Yanmar 13. It's well maintained, but my primary concern is that the 13 hp diesel is underpowered for a boat in the 8200 lb range. The O'Day we have is 6.5 hp Yanmar with about 4.5k weight. It get's bogged down in headwinds/waves when you need to motor. I find a lot written about the Islander's and the reviews are generally positive, and a few have commented on the small engines being underpowered.

The other is a 1989 Newport 31 that is also in nice shape. It's got an 18 hp Universal and so the power seems adequate. On the downside, it has a wing keel although the keel is still nearly 5 ft. and the wings are small (10 inches each). Still I'm concerned about the "anchor effect" of the wing if I get grounded, and I've gotten mixed signals on the quality of these boats.

Other boats I've looked at include C&C's, Ericsen's, and Catalina's. I know this is limited information and everyone has their favorites. I'm planning on just doing Great Lakes sailing with most on Lake Michigan. I would appreciate any perspectives on these issues or other things to consider concerning these two boats.

Thanks,

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2016

Re: Newport 31 and Islander 30 questions

The Newports are interesting, and if in good shape I'd not worry too much about the winged keel.. more like a 'bulb' in any event. I really don't like their faux wood grain countertops, but that's simply aesthetics and addressable. They have pretty nice volume, and largish ports so should be fairly bright below despite the dark wood finish.

Plan A is to not run aground.. and there are wing keel owners on this site who have been able to extricate themselves from casual soft groundings.

Any of the brands you mention should fit the bill quite nicely - it's just a matter of finding the best package.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2016

I had similar question I asked myself...as I recall at the time...the Islander is the boat for you especially when you mentioned your O'Day was a little light. I've never been impressed with the Newport 31 too far from shore! I'm older now, slower and love to get out the sails, for that the added ballast percentage (which is significant in the Islander) is my choice. This Yanmar 13 hp will seem underpowered for the conditions you mentioned, as I recall many guys installed the Yanmar 3 cylinder, 20 HP in their place, like in a mid-80's 30' S2 which is another 1000 pounds more than the Islander. Can't address the grounding concern as it's something I never like to think about, maybe a Cat would be better if your anticipating grounding it a lot?

post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Iv'e have experience on both the Islander 30 and the Catalina 30. Both sail well. The Islander is a bit more robust in the build, but has a lot less space. The Catalina would be a better choice if interior space, including sleeping accommodations, is a high priority. I've seen the Newport, but do not have never sailed on one. Their reputation is that they are not as robustly built as the others - but I'd like to hear from owners. You are choosing from a list of good boats.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2016

Hey,

I used to Own a Newport 28 and I've seen a few 30, 31, 33 models. Newport build quality was on par with Catalina, O'day, Beneteau, and the rest of the 'chevy and ford' type boats.

Personally, I would want at least 18 hp in a 30 ft boat.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2016

Personally, I would choose the Islander 30 over the Newport. Better build quality, and nicer overall design, IMHO.

13hp diesel should be no problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2016
Old enough to know better

I think by now it has more to do with how it has been maintained being far more important than the original build quality, that would not have been that far appart anyway. I think the Newport looks like a much better interior, and Mull designs a really nice boat. Not that Finch is a bad designer either. But the Newport looks to have the more livable interior, and likely slightly better performance from looking at basic hull shape, both have similar S/A and and almost the same PHRF(Newport a about 5 points ahead). Either engine should be fine unless you are in an area with strong currents or particularly rough water. The Yanmars always seem to me to pull a bit harder than there HP rating might suggest, perhaps it is that they tend to be higher revving motors.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Last edited by miatapaul; 04-06-2016 at 04:40 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-14-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the advice. We put an offer on the Newport and it was rejected and countered with a reasonable figure. We decided to keep looking for one more weekend and found a Catalina 30 that we have an accepted offer on. It's a bit heavier (10500 vs. 8500 lbs), is a shoal draft, 4'6" with no wing keel vs. 4'10" for the Newport, has a full cockpit enclosure, and has been well maintained like both of the other options. It also has a 25 hp universal diesel for when the wind/waves kick up on Lake Michigan. The Newport would have nicer in the cabin and would have been a little less expensive but the two boats were close. This will be a nice upgrade from our O'Day 25. We really liked that boat, and it served us well for the last 5 years but the Catalina will allow us to do more cruising going forward.

Dave
O'Day 25 and now Catalina 30
Faster likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2016

Thanks for the follow-up! .. and Congrats. Good choice.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in