Lobster - Penobscot Bay, ME - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-08-2016 Thread Starter
Port of Rochester, NY

Dock
Lobster - Penobscot Bay, ME

The family and I will be staying a week on Deer Island, Eastern Penobscot Bay, ME. I just read that one can purchase a lobster(s) right off the boats there. Any of you Captains know some good lobstermen in the area? We'll be happy to give them some business

Oh, and to keep this sailing related, I would love to see your boat of the edge of Stinson Point, Deer Island if you will be in the area, mid-July. I'm thinking about renting a small dinghy sailboat if I can build up enough competency before hand to convince the rental folks I'm capable.

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited by 43N77W; 04-08-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-08-2016

Re: Lobster - Penobscot Bay, ME

In Penobscot you can walk from island to island by stepping on the buoys, especially since they use 2 per trawl there. Quite frankly, for all the time I've spent in the presence of lobstermen, I've never had the nads to sail up and ask if they had any to sell. I know people do it, but it just isn't in my DNA.

Stinson point is right across from Burnt Cove. Overlooks Barred Island. It has a nice view of the bay and some good shots of the open ocean. Even though Deer Isle is technically an island, you drive there over Eggemoggin Reach. So be sure to catch a ferry to Isle Au Haute. Great hiking and scenery. And if lobster buoys are your thing, there's a fresh crop of the finest kind after every storm. Most of it is state park. Another place you must visit is Acadia National Park. Awe inspiring.
seaner97 and 43N77W like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
43N77W (04-12-2016)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-08-2016
Old enough to know better

Sure they are trying to make a living, so I imagine anything you give them would be more than the wholesalers. I had family on the coast in the 70's that said they just went to the docks and asked around. Just have to be there when thy pull in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
43N77W likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
43N77W (04-12-2016)

post #4 of 20 Old 04-08-2016

Its common to go to a lobster boat and ask. Normal practice.

I dingied to a boat on a mooring in Rockland Harbor and bought 4 for $18. Then my dink wouldnt start. The lobsterman had his daughter tow me a 1/4 mile back to my boat with their skiff. She absolutely refused any money for the tow. Loved Maine!
Slayer and 43N77W like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to xort For This Useful Post:
43N77W (04-12-2016)
post #5 of 20 Old 04-09-2016

2015 the price off the boat was low!! That
makes up for a late may dive I had to do to clear my prop off Doyle point!man that water was cold:-[
43N77W likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-10-2016

The lobsterman behind me in the grocery store line couldn't believe I'd pay a dollar a pound more than he got from the lobster pound. It's certainly worth asking, but give some thought to not interrupting them in the middle of hauling traps. If they're trying to maneuver to snag their next lobsterpot, they don't need some screwy sailboat circling close enough to hit them, thank you very much. Calling over the radio may not be too popular either. They may not want others to know where they've got their pots, and announcing "Betty-Sue, Betty Sue, one mile southeast of Sheep Rock" could leave you with no dinner. Asking on the dock or ashore may be tricky because some boats have contracts for their catch to go to a certain wholesaler, who might be there watching. If you come across a lobsterboat idling along (lunchtime? calling home?) give her a wave and a try.
43N77W likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
43N77W (04-12-2016)
post #7 of 20 Old 04-10-2016

Keep your eyes peeled for a floating lobster dock with a 'Lobsters' sign with a phone number on it. There are a couple in Pulpit Harbor in Penobscot Bay(there are a few others around the bay).

These are lobstermen that also sell right off their floating work docks.

This is Randy and his dog Zip, pulling us out a few pound and halfs.

That's Randy's boat in the background. I recall it was named - 'Rock me Baby'.

capecodda and 43N77W like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-10-2016

Y'know, the worst thing is my oldest boy is a sternman on a lobster boat out of Cape Porpoise. We have yet to receive any . . . benefits of his hard labors. You try to raise 'em right and look what happens!
post #9 of 20 Old 04-10-2016
Super Moderator

Unless you really know what they are doing at the time, in terms of work, it is best to do as Tom says and approach their "float" back in a harbor. Approaching a lobster boat mid-string etc. will only serve to get them riled. Just about every harbor has a working float or a few and when the guys get back at the end of the day they are often approachable for a "cash sale". You can also just go to one of the co-op docks and still get them straight off the boat.
capecodda likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Agree- hit them at the dock. If they've had a good haul, they'll be in a generous mood and happy to sell to you.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in