Transporting a Snark on a Chevy Sonic hatch - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-16-2016 Thread Starter

Transporting a Snark on a Chevy Sonic hatch

Not far from where I live, someone is selling an older Snark that seems to be in good condition and a good first boat. The lightweight means I could easily handle it by myself.

The problem is transporting it. My car is a 2015 Chevrolet Sonic hatchback. At present, I don't have a roof rack or anything like that. The hull is highly likely to be too long to fit in the car even with the seats folded down.

Anyone out there have a set up that would work with a car like mine? One concern is avoiding scratches on the car's paint and making sure the hull is securely fastened.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-William

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-16-2016

Dock
Re: Transporting a Snark on a Chevy Sonic hatch

Flip it upside down on the roof, using foam tubes along the hull on each side to protect your paint on the roof (they do that with canoes), and then strap the mast to the top of the hull (which will now be the bottom as it's upside down), using your straps through the doors with windows open or closed as needed. That's how I'd do it in a pinch, at least without a trailer of any sort and a hitch.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-16-2016
arrgh!

Dock

These questions always make me wonder about the bigger question...

Is this a one time move or do you plan to need moving this two times a week?

I would add to CharlzO put a blanket on your roof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

post #4 of 30 Old 04-17-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

These questions always make me wonder about the bigger question...

Is this a one time move or do you plan to need moving this two times a week?

I would add to CharlzO put a blanket on your roof
The goal would be for this to be a one-time thing in order to get the boat home. Once home, work on something more permanent.

post #5 of 30 Old 04-17-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam197r View Post
The goal would be for this to be a one-time thing in order to get the boat home. Once home, work on something more permanent.

In that case

1) friend with truck
2) rental truck
3) previous suggestion

I know spending money is kind of hard to do.. or it is for me.

I think of it like this.. you don't have a moving van in the back yard for when you next move (which could be 10 years), much the same I don't have plumbing equipment, I just take my neighbor out to eat when he solders a couple pipes together for me.

on the other hand:

how about the more permanent situation, could you get a roof rack (craigslist)....?

If this is a new endeavor, though about the fact you might never really use the boat.. so do what is the easiest.. and if you love the Snark, you will then want a way to take care of it.

Vector X Y
post #6 of 30 Old 04-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Flip it upside down on the roof, using foam tubes along the hull on each side to protect your paint on the roof (they do that with canoes), and then strap the mast to the top of the hull (which will now be the bottom as it's upside down), using your straps through the doors with windows open or closed as needed. That's how I'd do it in a pinch, at least without a trailer of any sort and a hitch.
This method has high disaster potential, be careful! At the very least, add tie-offs to the back and front of your car to keep the boat from launching forward when you brake or jettisoning backward while you are driving. The mast and boom will be challenging!

You can rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowe's for $19.

Ultimately, a roof rack and straps are the way to go. Look for the kayak transporting accessories.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-18-2016

FWIW, we have an older but decent condition Snark Sunflower, and though I've only had it out a couple times, it's a lot of fun.

I agree... a roof rack for kayaks is probably advisable. They are much more stable when attached.

Bear in mind, a 2015 Sonic hatchback is just over 13 feet long. The Snark is probably 10 or 11 feet long, so regardless of what roof arrangement, you're likely to have a good bit of hull sticking out forward of the roof rack. Upside down, stern forward is probably your best bet, and probably err on the side of having more stick out the back in order to shorten how much sticks out in front. Go slow.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-18-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
This method has high disaster potential, be careful! At the very least, add tie-offs to the back and front of your car to keep the boat from launching forward when you brake or jettisoning backward while you are driving. The mast and boom will be challenging!

You can rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowe's for $19.

Ultimately, a roof rack and straps are the way to go. Look for the kayak transporting accessories.
Apologies, I certainly wouldn't use just the straps on the side, but I forgot to mention the front and rear tie-downs also. In my head I was envisioning it like a flipped canoe, but didn't explain it fully.

The U-Haul idea is a good one though, just load it in the back, and even if the mast sticks out the door, you'll have the hull strapped inside to keep it from sliding, and tie the door down with just the bit of the mast sticking out the back if needed.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

post #9 of 30 Old 04-18-2016 Thread Starter

How about the carrier bars on sailboatstogo.com? No attempts to set land speed records will be made.

The Home Depot idea is good except that this boat is far enough away that the extra time charges would start mounting before I could get it home, and the U-Haul would end up with extra mileage charges. Don't think I know anyone who would loan me a truck even with the assurance that I'd buy the brewskis and return with a full tank. Not because I've been a bad driver but because I don't know anyone who has a truck right now.

Why can't I find one of these in my own backyard??

post #10 of 30 Old 04-18-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

William, it's a snark, do as was suggested with the noodles... works great... to get it home... if it flops off the roof, slam the accelerator, and run like heck, the ensuing explosion of foam on the highway will be a mess to clean up!

Just only slightly kidding. The rental of a truck will cost more than the price of the used Snark (or it should).

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in