Thinking of working in USVI..... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 04-23-2016

Re: Thinking of working in USVI.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Thanks for the advice, Bleemus. Funny, 16 hrs after I applied online, I got an offer to go to Guam! Good money, but I am not ready for that. Capta, I hear you! Of course, I figured they'd be a little behind there but I could bring some good American skills over there.
You might want to read up some on Guam. This is not really correct.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 04-23-2016

Isn't Guam American?
post #13 of 19 Old 04-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Isn't Guam American?
Guam is a US territory, with a couple hundred thousand residents. The US military base is the major employer. I had a buddy stationed there. He liked it at first, but eventually got bored. Pretty isolated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-24-2016
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Wow. Couldn't real the article. Anchoring will cost more than mooring per year? How do they expect to administer anchoring fees?
Yes, by the numbers currently in the proposal, anchoring will cost more than a mooring. I've no idea how they expect to administer anchoring fees. To do so would require a working vessel on St Thomas, fuel for same vessel, permission from the USCG to use same vessel, employees to operate vessel and a system to track vessels in the area. St Croix might have fewer issues than St Thomas, I hope...

At this point the fees I mentioned are what is being proposed. There are many steps yet to be completed before those fees could be approved and enforced.

If you are completely bored to death, feel free to watch a serious of 5 videos covering the public meeting on St Thomas regarding proposed anchoring/mooring fee increases. The audio is terrible, here is the link to 1of 5.
After watching them you will be able to draw your own conclusions as to the level of planning that was put into the proposed increases.

Last edited by FarCry; 04-24-2016 at 07:25 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
....If you are completely bored to death, feel free to watch a serious of 5 videos covering the public meeting
I tried. Made it about half way into the first. Whew, they are tough.

Cracks me up that an official would sit on a stage and swing their feet during a presentation. Island time mon.

Did I gather this is a proposal that will apply to all of the USVI, not just St Thomas? How do you expect it to affect anchoring of the bareboat charter fleet? I presume, if you're picking up an existing mooring, the mooring owner has paid the fee already and usage fees would likely increase. How in the world would one or two nights of anchoring work? I wonder if they'll just require the charter operators to pay the fee for each charter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-26-2016
Freedom 39

Quote:
I tried. Made it about half way into the first. Whew, they are tough.

Cracks me up that an official would sit on a stage and swing their feet during a presentation. Island time mon.

Did I gather this is a proposal that will apply to all of the USVI, not just St Thomas? How do you expect it to affect anchoring of the bareboat charter fleet? I presume, if you're picking up an existing mooring, the mooring owner has paid the fee already and usage fees would likely increase. How in the world would one or two nights of anchoring work? I wonder if they'll just require the charter operators to pay the fee for each charter.
The proposal is for all of the USVI. I don't have a working knowledge of how things are run in St Croix. I expect the bareboat charter fleet will pass increased costs of doing business on to their customers. I believe there is, or was, no charge for being anchored less than 7 days (might be 14).

Few charters spend more than a night or two in the USVI. Even fewer anchor. If adopted and enforced, the fees will most greatly effect cruisers and residents that reside on boats.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
....I believe there is, or was, no charge for being anchored less than 7 days (might be 14).
I tried to watch a little more. If I heard correctly (the volume is low), there is no proposed charge for up to 14 days.

Quote:
If adopted and enforced, the fees will most greatly effect cruisers and residents that reside on boats.
If the average cruiser is coming down to anchor for a few months, the fee will be in the hundreds. Can't imagine how they plan to collect and enforce it, as a cruiser will typically move around. I got through 1.5 vids and think I heard that question asked and they didn't know either.

It will be interesting if they view the bareboat fleet as a potential year round anchoring vessel, or only assesses a fee if the individual charter extends beyond 14 days. Still, one wonders how they could know if the charter was staying, let alone anchoring, in the USVI.

They did make one thing clear. They had no authority to mess with customs and immigration fees, in order to raise revenue, so they are targeting the fees they can control. Interesting.

In the end, all I've heard so far is they have limited anchoring/mooring space, the government owns that space, users will be required to rent it and they haven't raised prices in 20 years. Sounds like the US govt has trained them well on the money grab idea.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #18 of 19 Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
I tried to watch a little more. If I heard correctly (the volume is low), there is no proposed charge for up to 14 days.

If the average cruiser is coming down to anchor for a few months, the fee will be in the hundreds. Can't imagine how they plan to collect and enforce it, as a cruiser will typically move around. I got through 1.5 vids and think I heard that question asked and they didn't know either.

It will be interesting if they view the bareboat fleet as a potential year round anchoring vessel, or only assesses a fee if the individual charter extends beyond 14 days. Still, one wonders how they could know if the charter was staying, let alone anchoring, in the USVI.

They did make one thing clear. They had no authority to mess with customs and immigration fees, in order to raise revenue, so they are targeting the fees they can control. Interesting.

In the end, all I've heard so far is they have limited anchoring/mooring space, the government owns that space, users will be required to rent it and they haven't raised prices in 20 years. Sounds like the US govt has trained them well on the money grab idea.
I have to wonder which government owns that anchoring space. They are an unincorporated territory, so I guess there are no "standards". But I thought the federal government usually kept control of navigable waters. (OTOH, a similar debate is going on in Florida, which was a full fledged state last time I checked.)

s/v Dancing Days
Beneteau 31
Lewisville Lake, TX
post #19 of 19 Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I have to wonder which government owns that anchoring space. They are an unincorporated territory, so I guess there are no "standards". But I thought the federal government usually kept control of navigable waters. (OTOH, a similar debate is going on in Florida, which was a full fledged state last time I checked.)
It's a bit complicated, but this is the general idea, as I recall. A sovereign nation owns the seabed out to a prescribed distance. I believe that's 12 miles. They also have the right to control commerce on the water out to a further distance, I think 100 miles, but I'm less sure these two glasses of wine aren't interfering with my recollection on the latter.

In the US, the Federal Government delegated authority to the individual States for their coastline. Some States have further delegated that authority to their local counties or towns, some haven't.

All is trumped by standards that disallow interference with navigation on federal waterways. This is where some anchoring advocates argue the State's can't mess with use of waterways, but they've generally lost, when the anchorage isn't in the way of the government's definition of "navigation"

So, to your point, it's not clear whether the sovereign nation is the USVI or the US itself and it's delegated to the USVI. Either way, the USVI sets these rules.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in