Snapped my mast in half on Saturday, Anybody have mast breaking stories? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 04-29-2016

Re: Snapped my mast in half on Saturday, Anybody have mast breaking stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthenry View Post
Everybody seems to have forgotten that there are 3 other pieces of hardware that need to stay intact: the tang, the clevis, and the bolt. If either of those broke, bye-bye mast! the middle of the mast falls to leeward and out of column.
In the first post where he describes the accident he says nothing broke but the mast, been following for more info as I also own a C&C 25. So far lots of guesses but no more follow up info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-03-2016 Thread Starter
cocky young kid

Thanks all for the info! super helpful! Upate, I got a new mast all stepped and everything. just have to sort out some new lugs for the main and we're in business again!

Things I have leaned!
-Check stay tension more frequently!
-Make sure that the bolts for your spreader are SLEEVED. Otherwise the mast can crimp at the spot where the spreaders push inwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
It was a touch windy, I was in the THRASH regatta out of RVYC and it got a little interesting on Sunday on our J24, very gusty and for some reason there was a little pocket of nutter wind right at the windward mark where everyone was trying to get spins up. What size is your standing rigging on the 25? I have a Loos gauge you can borrow, but I don't recall off the top of my head what size wire it's for.
Hey Paul! painted the boat, maybe you'll notice next time you're out. bill helped with the mast a ton! The gusts were really, really weird. the rigging is 3/16ths. Do you think it would fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Had a similar situation once, reefed, beating in a 20+kt breeze, tacked, trimming, and *CRACK* next thing I know I see the genoa luff falling away. Our mast failed to leeward, in the post-mortem we found that the windward spreader root cup had sheared, the spreader fell off slacking the windward shroud. The mast snapped at the lowers and folded over, tearing the main in the process. This was on a Viking 28. We were about 4 NM from the dock, spun around and sailed home with the stump mast and the folded over scrap of mainsail.

Fortunately insurance came through and in a few weeks we were back in business.

Have had two other rigging failures since, but no mast loss. Both on our Choate 40, and both due to seized rod rigging ends (a deck stay and a lower shroud on separate occasions)
Oof. Thank god I didn't lose any sails, that would have really sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I don't understand how the mast can come down with all of the shrouds intact. Did the mast step move?
from what I can tell, the spreader didn't pull out, but it punched a dent in the mast side, because apparently the masts didn't have an internal sleeve for the bolt to run through, so if there was pressure from each side, it just squashed the mast. Remedied now with the new mast, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I would like to know what happened too. I have a C&C 25 and its mast is the size of most modern day 35 footers. I have been up it several times and just don't see it snapping unless i hit a bridge.
That's what I thought too. Check if the bolts are sleeved. Like... Before the next big blow. and check your tension on the lowers. That'd probably be the deciding factor.

My knotmeter started working the other day. Turns out I'm faster when it's not working.
post #33 of 47 Old 05-03-2016 Thread Starter
cocky young kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Hang on a sec: 5 guys on a lightweight 25-footer.. racing... in +20kts?!? Maybe they aren't football-players but is the standard mast on a 25-footer even rated for that? The mast loads must have been horrendous!!

(By comparison, we race our old 6.5-ton 30-footer with 4 on board in +20kts, no issues.. but our mast was built in 1957 and we probably aren't pushing quite as hard.)
Hell yeah our mast is rated for that. Same extrusion size as most 30 foot boats, but with about 4 feet chopped off the end. The thing is beefy.

We aren't fat, and weren't racing anyone else at that moment, but we do drink a lot of beer

My knotmeter started working the other day. Turns out I'm faster when it's not working.

post #34 of 47 Old 05-03-2016 Thread Starter
cocky young kid

IN CONCLUSION:

It's mostly speculation, but from what I can tell, the reasons the mast failed were, in order of importance, thus:

(nothing is rarely cut and dried as a single thing that cause something to fail)

1: Lower stay tension. Definitely operator error, I remember right before we tacked, seeing a little bit of give in the leeward lower, which became, of course, the loaded windward after. This could cause enough bend in the mast to lead us to point two-

2: where the spreaders were mounted on my mast, right where the bolts wend through, there is supposed to be a compression sleeve, just slightly larger than the bolt, that, when you tighten the bolt that holds the spreaders in place, limits the amount you can punch the mast in, and takes the load of the bolt. This enables you to get good torque, secure the spreaders, without crushing inwards on the aluminum mast. This sleeve didn't exist, for whatever reason. (perhaps C&C believing their "tree trunk" masts were strong enough for the size of boat that they could skip this)

3: There may or may not have been some galvanic corrosion where the stainless bolt went through the mast, it not being sleeved with a more similar metal to the aluminum, which would cause the bolt to only corrode to the sleeve.

to wrap it up, the loose inner stays, combined with the lack of compression sleeve, caused a lot of force to be put straight inwards at the point where the spreader was attached, and, just like how a pop can will hold your weight when you stand on it, as long as it is intact, if there is a tiny dent in the side, it will collapse.

BFI. Brute Force and Ignorance.

post #35 of 47 Old 05-03-2016 Thread Starter
cocky young kid

[IMG][/IMG]

She's back.

post #36 of 47 Old 05-03-2016
Remember you're a womble

And she looks great. I think my Loos gauge works down to 3/16th.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 47 Old 05-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproatlake View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

She's back.
Interesting deck paint treatment.. watch that the gray doesn't get too hot underfoot in weather like yesterday...

Looks good! Well done to get back in business so quickly.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #38 of 47 Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
cocky young kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
And she looks great. I think my Loos gauge works down to 3/16th.
Apparently there's a rigger named serge out of westport that'll take his workboat out to sky, and do it for 90 bucks, so likely I'm going to just let him do that. But I would really love to learn how to tune with a loos, that way I can do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Interesting deck paint treatment.. watch that the gray doesn't get too hot underfoot in weather like yesterday...

Looks good! Well done to get back in business so quickly.
hahaha you picked up on that. Funny, I was out painting her on monday afternoon, that was your "yesterday" and it was quite warm on the feet... but hey, for the rest of the days of the year, when there's either wind (and I'm sailing), or it's not 27 degrees and sunny, it'll be nice to have warm feet. This is why I have crew. Send them up front to wrestle the jib down and burn themselves

post #39 of 47 Old 05-04-2016
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproatlake View Post
Apparently there's a rigger named serge out of westport that'll take his workboat out to sky, and do it for 90 bucks, so likely I'm going to just let him do that. But I would really love to learn how to tune with a loos, that way I can do it myself
That'd be a static tune.. you'll still need to tweak it when you get the sails up.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #40 of 47 Old 05-05-2016 Thread Starter
cocky young kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
That'd be a static tune.. you'll still need to tweak it when you get the sails up.
Roger dodger.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in