Time to switch sailing sites? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 04-27-2016
Beyond The Pale

Re: Time to switch sailing sites?

I practically never visit this site without wearing a Cast-Iron Browser Condom, just on general principles you understand, nothing specific against Sailnet, so I opened this page in another unprotected Browser, just to see what the fuss was about.
What a feckless mess. (From the Gaelic "Feck"- Knowledgeable, Capable.) At the top is a banner ad for fishing equipment. That's OK, I guess. Then just to the right is an ad for... Paper Bags?
Just underneath that is an ad for... Cardboard boxes?
Underneath the first post is an ad for something circular with splashes of blue and white.
Inside the second post is one of those fugly irrelevant "Adchoices" popups that just won't go away. Same for the third post.
Next to the third post is an ad for a used car.
After the fourth post is something crappy in Flash. Even though this particular Browser is virgin, Flash doesn't get through under _any_ circumstances on a System level. Screw off, Sailnet Malware Marketeers. ("Screw" of course is another older term for a propulsion device, now commonly called a "Propeller".)
The fifth post has another irrelevant Adchoices popup.
The sixth post is unmolested. (RMB's post; the one that justifies obnoxious advertising. Just a coincidence...)
The seventh post has _three_ irrelevant Adchoices popups.
That was quite enough, thankyouverymuch. Quit Firefox.

Well, I'm back here on my regular overprotected browser, where Sailnet is safe, clean, and wholesome. I prefer not spending time in an Advertising Sewer. And if any marketeering types wish to object, may I suggest that they find the nearest sharp, rusty, upright spike, sit on it, and spin.

¬Erindipity
bigdogandy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 04-27-2016

What me worry
post #13 of 18 Old 04-27-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I use Adblock Plus, which solves the problem and really speeds up your PC. Free download.Gary
Hey, thanks for the head's up! With internet speeds hoovering around dial up some places down here anything that speeds up page loading is a huge help.
Thanks Gary.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #14 of 18 Old 04-27-2016
Lake Sailor

So people are complaining that they are adding content to a site that uses ads to fund the costs of doing business. Simple, stop adding content and move on. It is the business model of sites like this. Just.......... how........... it......... is...........

The bonus of this thread is that it is another thread on here that has absolutely nothing to do with sailing. Perfect for a place call "SailNet"...... Which may need to change it's name to "Bi*chNet". Seems to be more of that here than actual, relevant, sailing content.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-27-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitApe View Post
It's bad enough that SailNet seems to have increased the amount of ads lately. I understand that they have to pay the bills. But now I see phony threads started with "Sponsored Posts" (e.g., ads for crap that isn't even sailing related). If this keeps up it won't be much longer before I find somewhere else to waste my time.
I have not seen any "sponsored posts" at all, but I do use ad blocking software. I have used ad blocking software for many years now, and it does surprise me when I look at a site on someone eases computer that does not. I use it mainly due to the slowing of the web site down due to the scripts that run and slow the site down rather than to not see ads. This site in particular has been very bad about slowness due to links feeding to advertising sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Sailnet seems to be a shell of it's former "pre sale" self. I have to turn off my Javascript to even come here.

Worst part is how much less people post and discuss things, the place has basically ground to a halt since the new ownership.
Perhaps in the Off topic sections, and I say good. I never understood the need to come to a site about something, and do nothing but post about something else. There are plenty of sites to talk about other things, go there to do that. I always found the atmosphere in the Off-topic here to be rather unpleasant, one sided and not accepting to others filled with nothing but insults. I get enough of that at holiday dinners in my own house, don't need it here.

But on the on topic seems to still have plenty of traffic.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #16 of 18 Old 04-30-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Not sure if this is the case here.. but you get less ads when you are logged in.

I too have learned to ignore the ads (which probably isn't good for SailNet or the advertisers.

I understand not liking something... like SailNet, there are a lot of things in the world that I don't like.... But when I stop shopping at walmart I don't find a walmart forum to point this out. I might send a letter to them directly.

Also there is a forum for suggestions and/or tech problems.. why not post in that section.

And finally, why doesn't someone start a thread: "I am going to stay at SailNet for another month," every thirty days. Or indirectly, why is it no one actually likes things anymore?

PS
Just added Ad Bloc, niiiice
using it on Chrome
https://adblockplus.org/

Vector X Y
post #17 of 18 Old 04-30-2016
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitApe View Post
It's bad enough that SailNet seems to have increased the amount of ads lately. I understand that they have to pay the bills. But now I see phony threads started with "Sponsored Posts" (e.g., ads for crap that isn't even sailing related). If this keeps up it won't be much longer before I find somewhere else to waste my time.
What- you waste time on only one sailing forum? Slacker.

Sailing Anarchy Forums
SailboatOwners.com Forums
Pressure Drop
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Singlehanded Sailing Society Forum
Yachtpaintforum.com
Home | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum
Trawler Forum
https://www.catalina36.org/forum
Pearson 323 Community - Index
post #18 of 18 Old 05-03-2016 Thread Starter
Over-caffeinated

Well, I was being a bit rhetorical. I actually frequent several other sites, some of which are on your list.

I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.
- Hunter S. Thompson

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Newman

One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.
- Donald Drumpf (trying hard to live up to that statement)

Last edited by PitApe; 05-10-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in